Considering ID-3 purchase, but have some questions/concerns

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the Forum and considering an ID-3 purchase. I test drove an ID-3 Style Pro Performance 62kWh (204PS) April 2021 registered yesterday and really liked it. I was shocked by the amazing performance. It drives like a hot hatch! The car is in Glacier White and has the £1000 heat pump and East Derry alloys as extras.

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind as to answer, or to point me in the right direction:

1. When we did the test drive, we got stuck in a traffic jam on the A34. The car's navigation didn't seem to have any traffic monitoring or avoidance activated. A web search suggests "We Connect Plus" offers this, but I am not sure whether this is a free service, or paid-for? I have a Tom Tom Sat-Nav which has very good traffic alerts and avoidance, but it's going to be hard to fit behind the large 10in screen on the ID-3. I'd really rather use the VW navigation if possible as it has a fantastic screen. Any help/advice appreciated with this.

2. The car is advertised as having a 62kWh battery, but I can't find much information about that particular battery on the web. I did find one article (https://ev-database.uk/car/1202/Volkswagen-ID3-Pro) that seems to suggest that the 62Kwh battery may have a usable capacity of 58Kwh. So is this in fact a 58Kwh battery?! I don't see the 62Kwh battery mentioned anywhere in the new ID-3 brochure, so I am quite confused. The dealer says the 62kWh battery is fitted because the car is the 150kW version (204PS), but that can't be right as the 204PS car is sold with 58Kwh battery!

3. Battery capacity reductions over time is a concern, given how expensive the battery pack is on an EV. I see that VW warranty covers the battery capacity (70% of original capacity for up to 8 years). Has anyone who bought a 1st edition seen any significant range reductions since new? If battery life holds up well, it is possible I will defer purchase to avoid lots of up-front depreciation as a result of buying new.

4. We own a 2013 VW Golf MK7 1.6TDI on 16in wheels and on the test drive noticed that the 18in wheels 215/55/R18 produced a fair amount of road noise at 70mph. The Golf on 16in wheels (Micheline Primacy 4) is incredibly quiet even at high speeds, so we have been spoilt. Tyres on the ID-3 were Good Year Efficient Grip 215/55/R18. Is this tyre dependent or due to the stiffer suspension on the ID-3?

5. We have all our music on an SD card in the Golf (rather old fashioned I know!). The ID-3 doesn't have one, so I assume we have to stream music from our phones. Neither of us have a Spotify Premium subscription and don't want to listen to Ads. My wife has an iPhone 12, so how would she stream music from that? Is it just a case of linking the phone via Bluetooth?

6. The ID-3 will mostly be used on short journeys, something the Golf TDI doesn't like as the DPF regularly needs cleaning with a longer journey. Given most journeys will be short, would I be better looking at a Golf GTE and saving a considerable amount of money?

Many thanks,
Steve
Last edited by stevelar on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

1. Yes it does live traffic updates
2. Its 58kwh usable as VW deliberately stop you completely charging or discharging the battery to maintain its longevity. A common feature (Amprea’s only allowed charging up to 60%of battery capacity - and as a result the battery’s last for yonks)
3. No answer
4. Its probably because there was no rumble of the diesel so road noise stands out more. Tyres on most delivered ID3’s are Bridge stones at the moment (which some consider not as good).
5. Copy from your SD to a USB-C drive and files will work absolutely fine.
6. EV great for short journeys. Ideal.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

1. No idea where VW get their live update information from, but yes the built-in system does do them at no cost. However, with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto being available, you might end up using a phone app for navigation anyway.
2. 62kWh is the total capacity, 58kWh is the usable amount - in simple terms think of them as being the same.
3. Until anyone has used their car through all 4 seasons at least once, this is pretty much impossible to answer, and even then would be a subjective judgement. The car doesn't show any battery health data.
4. Overall, the ID.3 is the quietest car I've ever driven. VW fit one of these 3 brands to new cars: Bridgestone, Continental, Goodyear - you don't get a choice.
5. As above, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available. Or put your music on a USB stick/drive and plug it into one of the front 2 USB-C ports.
6. BEVs just work regardless of the type of driving, if you can live with the range and charging. I'd never go for a hybrid personally.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Of the 3 types of tyre, the Bridgestones are the hardest and noisiest. They're pretty poor on grip too - they'll almost certainly be terrible in mild winter conditions based on previous experience with them on performance Golfs and Polo's.

We have 2 ID3s and both came on Bridgestones.

ID3 will play FLACs and MP3s from a USB-C stick. Amazon sell a 128Gb one for about £17.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Thanks for the really useful tips. Much appreciated.
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

1. Also works abroad, it just picked up a very recent issue on the Italian A1 northbound south of Florence, but overstated its severity
2. Think of it as 58kWh, it'll be fine for your intended use
3. Bo, as the Italians would say. Depends on how you treat it I guess. I understand limiting charging to 80% (you can set the target charge level) and preferring AC charging keeps them live longer.
4. The only reason the tyre noise bothers is because there's no engine noise and vibration to mask it. It's the quietest car I have ever driven. Just came back from a 4hour trip to Florence, totally relaxed.
5. No idea, use Apple Music myself
6. A BEV is perfect for that. I get north of 400 miles range out of my Tour (77kWh battery) in city driving.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
pbaptista

Post by pbaptista »

I have an id.3 Tour with about 8200 km and my opinion is:

1-The car navigation system have flaws, it is best to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, in this case you lose the functionality of direction change indication on the HUD.
3-It's too early to answer your question but as in any battery it will lose capacity over time and with use, more or less will depend on how you treat it. Since you're going to use the car in short distances, reducing capacity won't be a problem.
5-I use a USB stick.
6-I would never buy a hybrid, you have the worst of the two worlds...
ID.3 Tour - Glacier White 0783, from 12 February 2021, upgrade to 0792 in 15 April 2021
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Pretty sure Apple Maps gives you the HUD indications?

Or have I imagined that?

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

It does but not the augmented piece only the lower part
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Andreas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:59 pm Pretty sure Apple Maps gives you the HUD indications?

Or have I imagined that?

All the best

Andreas

Not on the HUD, only on the display behind the steering wheel found on all specs.
pbaptista

Post by pbaptista »

As I wrote, when using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto you lose the direction signs on the HUD, the top, where the large arrows appear, as simonmaskell mentioned.
ID.3 Tour - Glacier White 0783, from 12 February 2021, upgrade to 0792 in 15 April 2021
Id3x2-21/71

Post by Id3x2-21/71 »

1. Does update but I use apple car play every time find it easier.
2. Its 58kwh usable they recommend charging to 80% every time to persevere battery life
3. Unsure this worried me I bought mine on pcp to get a guaranteed future value incase or any issues
4. Goodyear efficiency grip on mine find it noises than my previous Mercedes but overall I’m happy as no engine noise just road noise.
5. Convert to usbc or add to iPhone/android
6.I’ve adapted well to both long and short journeys for id3 we”ve bought 58kwh for long journey and just ordered 45kwh for round town.
Id3 life pro performance 58kwh white east Derry alloys & Id3 city pure performance 45kwh moonstone grey east Derry alloys

Energy supplier octopus

£50 referral link

share.octopus.energy/warm-swan-246

Charger Ohme ev tethered