Still unsure about EV ownership

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
smuj

Post by smuj »

Be aware that winter can reduce the range dramatically. The 58kWh model would need a charge even on your 200 mile trips. The 77kWh model should make that trip OK.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

MotMot wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:28 pm I’ve had an ID3 (58kw) for 10 weeks now. Done 3500 miles - several long motorway journeys.

My ‘regular’ long drives include Manc <> Hull, Manc <> Kendal/Keswick and Manc <> North Norfolk (less so but sometimes).

I had all the charging stops worked out etc.. before getting delivery - and in reality range anxiety - getting a charge etc.. has been a total non event.

Its been super easy. Really much easier than I thought. Most legs of my journeys (before needing a wee/break - or getting to the destination) have been within 80% charged range - and getting a rapid charge at all of my destinations has not been an issue.

I quickly learnt that Motorway service areas are generally to be avoided for charging (often busy) though much better now Gridserve chargers are being rolled out (but still often busy). However, Osprey and in particular InstaVolt have a wide network of reliable super easy to use chargers often within 1-2 miles of a motorway junction (often where I might stop to get a McDonalds/Costa coffee etc.. (instead of having to stop at a motorway services). I have never had to que for a charge.

Recently, a 8 charger (150kw) EV only station (MFG) opened 2-3 miles away from home - and that has made it super easy if I get back from a long journey with low percentage and have to go out fairly soon after (not enough time for a home top up/charge).

You read plenty of horror stories on forums and in the press about not being able to get charges - they are nearly - nearly always trying to use the now nearly defunct ecotricity chargers at Motorway services - that I have completely avoided.

For me - its been a total non issue.
👌
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Smuj makes a good point about winter range. I’d still be wanting to stop after 150 miles (c. 2.5 hours on most motorways and assuming in a worse case scenario 150 miles is my winter range) for a break anyway.

I’d quite like to have the ‘backup’ of the extra range - but I’ve not needed it yet and it wouldn’t justify the extra price tag for me. Heavier car (larger battery) also reduces the efficiency. Not too much with the larger battery id3 - but when you look at cars like the ETron it has a monster pack - but does the same (if not less) miles than an iD3. Just much morse miles per kWh lugging all that SUV/large battery around.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Thanks for the replies all….. I’m probably going with the 77kwh id3 so should be ok.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m awaiting delivery of my pro performance family but I’m not daunted by long distance journeys. I’m confident I’ll be able to plan a route to my daughter in Cheshire (from Sussex) and my son in Zurich. The range is about right for the amount of time I’d drive before needing a comfort stop. For example to
Cheshire I’d stop at Gridserve Rugby M6 and to Zurich I’d probably use the free Eurotunnel charger to top up to 100% then charge at Reims services , then ionity at Metz and Colmar.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hi all, just joined the forum as I am trading in the wife’s old Polo for a new shiny ID3 Tech Pro Performance 204ps. Originally expected to have to wait for the new vehicle to be ordered etc. but was delighted to buy one that the dealer had recently taken delivery of. Manganese grey metallic black, 18 inch East Derry wheels. Pick it up next week.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Noel wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:41 pm Hi all, just joined the forum as I am trading in the wife’s old Polo for a new shiny ID3 Tech Pro Performance 204ps. Originally expected to have to wait for the new vehicle to be ordered etc. but was delighted to buy one that the dealer had recently taken delivery of. Manganese grey metallic black, 18 inch East Derry wheels. Pick it up next week.
Congrats on the colour, best of the bunch in my opinion (I thought it would be white, but we got a white one, which was my first choice then, then also bought a Manganese Grey one - I like the grey one more!). 18" Derrys are fine and difficult for the wife to kerb. IMO derrys have the nicest design of the 3 alloy types and the bigger alloys come at a disproportionately high price.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

tomstring wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 pm I’m awaiting delivery of my pro performance family but I’m not daunted by long distance journeys. I’m confident I’ll be able to plan a route to my daughter in Cheshire (from Sussex) and my son in Zurich. The range is about right for the amount of time I’d drive before needing a comfort stop. For example to
Cheshire I’d stop at Gridserve Rugby M6 and to Zurich I’d probably use the free Eurotunnel charger to top up to 100% then charge at Reims services , then ionity at Metz and Colmar.
Read my little trip report to Italy. It's a complete non-issue and nothing to worry about. To Zürich you should be fine with a max of three charges in a Tour during summer. I would do Channel Gateway - Wellin - Haut Koenigsburg on Ionity if taking that route, or Rely - Vrigny - Metz if going the French way. Metz maybe a bit busy.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Thanks all. Have really researched it this weekend and am more confidant so probably will take the plunge. Now looking at smart home chargers and energy provider. It’s looking like Octopus are the most popular for ev owners. Not sure yet on charger - any thoughts ?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Charger choice harder than car choice imho! :D

If you’ve a 5-6 month wait for the car I’d think about it closer to the time - as there are new chargers coming all the time. Hopefully the 350 grant will remain.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

DavidF63 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum as i wanted to ask some questions to current ID owners before potentially committing to an EV that is likely to be an ID3 Pro S Tour 77kWh. It will be my only car and i do a fair number of miles for work, about 1800/2000 miles per month, of which id say half are motorway miles.

I have reservations about the charging network and finding chargers not working, what's the real world experience of owners ? I also saw a review that shared an issue with possible glitches with the software linking upto the home charger ? Should i stick with the VW recommended pod point or is it safe to look at other manufacturers ?

Any help and/or advice would be welcome....

Dave
If you can be more specific about the distance to and back from work each day. Typically that kind of mileage wouldn't require charging away from home.

If you are doing more then 80 miles each way you probably want a charger at or near work, for a 58kw

To give you an example, 155 miles 2/3 motorway and 1/3 small roads took me from 90% to 21%.

All this on the 58 kW pro
Last edited by colonelpurple on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Ok thanks….
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

David - why not lease one short term with onto (think an id3 is 400 ish a month?) which includes charging and insurance. Probably only 50-80 more than the running costs and lease payments anyway….

That way see how it goes etc..?
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’ve already switched to OctopusEnergy Go. Works out 1.5P per mile if I charge between 0030-0430.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Many thanks both…really useful.