New Motability member

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
parkycat

Post by parkycat »

Even if nobody hears the car coming, at least they'll see it - it's the turquoise one.
We chose an electric car for my son's new motability car, replacing a Skoda Octavia (good car, fragile trim) So far, I've just driven it home from the garage, and worked out how to charge it. To start with, I didn't realise the cable was locked to the car, and that I had to unlock to remove it. (makes perfect sense) We have a BP Pulse charger. Does anyone know about the best way to charge for optimum range and battery life? Do we let it run down quite low, or just keep topping up, even if it doesn't really need it? I know that it doesn't matter much with mobile phone NiCad batteries.
Tomorrow's task - find out how the music system works.

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

parkycat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:51 pm Even if nobody hears the car coming, at least they'll see it - it's the turquoise one.
We chose an electric car for my son's new motability car, replacing a Skoda Octavia (good car, fragile trim) So far, I've just driven it home from the garage, and worked out how to charge it. To start with, I didn't realise the cable was locked to the car, and that I had to unlock to remove it. (makes perfect sense) We have a BP Pulse charger. Does anyone know about the best way to charge for optimum range and battery life? Do we let it run down quite low, or just keep topping up, even if it doesn't really need it? I know that it doesn't matter much with mobile phone NiCad batteries.
Welcome and congratulations on actually receiving the car, What model did you get ?

Regarding the charging, aim to keep the battery between 20-80% unless you are going on a long journey then charge up to 100% for departing, you don't want to every fully charge it and leave it idle for day's.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

parkycat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:51 pm Even if nobody hears the car coming, at least they'll see it - it's the turquoise one.
You may have problems with the BP Pulse charger in regards to scheduled charging as many do not work. If you don't have a cheap overnight tariff.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Hello and welcome - from another Motability customer! Although my car remains on order.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
parkycat

Post by parkycat »

Thanks for your replies.
The car is a "Life Pro" 58kW in turquoise with steel wheels - not that we've ever damaged a wheel, but IMHO alloys are for readers of Custom Car mags who haven't quite grown up yet. ;)
We took it for a longer run in the Yorkshire Dales today - plenty of hills which are great in "B" mode, as we hardly had to touch the brakes. So far I haven't bothered with scheduled charging, as our tariff is standard, and we have solar panels. I've not yet bothered with any mobile phone apps, but might have another go at "We Connect" - last time I tried, it wouldn't connect to the car, but I've since enabled data on the car. We may need to charge the car away from home one day. I've never used a public charger. Are they much the same? Do I need to be a member of multiple schemes with multiple apps on the phone? It would seem sensible to me to just be able to swipe a debit card.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

parkycat wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 pm Thanks for your replies.
The car is a "Life Pro" 58kW in turquoise with steel wheels - not that we've ever damaged a wheel, but IMHO alloys are for readers of Custom Car mags who haven't quite grown up yet. ;)
We took it for a longer run in the Yorkshire Dales today - plenty of hills which are great in "B" mode, as we hardly had to touch the brakes. So far I haven't bothered with scheduled charging, as our tariff is standard, and we have solar panels. I've not yet bothered with any mobile phone apps, but might have another go at "We Connect" - last time I tried, it wouldn't connect to the car, but I've since enabled data on the car. We may need to charge the car away from home one day. I've never used a public charger. Are they much the same? Do I need to be a member of multiple schemes with multiple apps on the phone? It would seem sensible to me to just be able to swipe a debit card.
As regards the "We Connect" app, I'm not sure if you are aware that there are 2 apps one as you've mentioned "We Connect" which is for ICE vehicles and "We Connect ID" you need that latter. You don't need to enrol in a data plan as that is just for a mobile hotspot within the car i.e. for people to log into for wifi internet.
As to public charging there are many networks all varying in price and speeds. The majority of them are contactless payment and you do not need to subscribe.
ZapMap is useful to see where all the chargers are and other info i.e. price, availability.
An app called Bonnet gives you cheaper rates on selected networks which sometimes give free or discounted charges.
The list goes on with all the apps.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
parkycat

Post by parkycat »

Thank you, Newfie. I had worked out the "We Connect" and now have zapmap as well. We might never have to use it, as we also have a petrol Golf. I quite like the idea of an all electric adventure, though.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Re: public charging for the first time - using zapmap (or wattsup, which is a good alternative), find sites with multiple 50kw+ chargers run by Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve or MFG. Zapmap allows you to filter the chargers easily. They all take contactless and are pretty reliable. If you follow the instructions written on the charger you shouldn't go wrong. You don't need any apps. Instavolt and Osprey do have app payment as an option but it's less smooth than using contactless payment. I wouldn't get bonnet or anything else similar to begin with.
If you do the above it's really very straightforward and once you have charged publicly a few times you probably won't think twice about taking the ID3 over the Golf everywhere.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.