Just saying Hi

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

I have recently purchased my first EV.

VW ID.3 Pure Life 45kw

I am quite impressed and proud of myself for making the move to EV.

I do have "range anxiety" and find myself questioning/stressing about journey lengths and availability of fast charging facilities .

But generally my journeys are out and back within the "quoted" range. However, I do take 10/15% of the stated range which perversely has reduced my range anxiety.

I am not a youngster and I do drive quite courteously. The car appears to allow me close to 212 miles per full charge, although I do only charge to the recommended 80%.

I do have a home charger (pod point) and in my opinion (please don't shoot me) a home charger makes perfect sense when running an EV. I certainly wouldn't have considered an EV without the facility to charge the car reasonably quickly at home.

I am sorry this is a lengthy intro. I am quite new to this and feeling my way.

Grant

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Welcome to the forum Grant.
Certainly agree that a home charger makes life so much easier with an EV. Range anxiety with me lasted around 3 months gradually reducing as I got to grips with the step up to an EV. I was on a granny charger at home for almost a year before being able to get the 7kW pod point charger.
Longer trips using public chargers have all been positive but many here have had poor experiences.
I think I have been lucky.
It's a great car. Enjoy 😊
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 2515

Thank you for the welcome and reassurance.

My hope is that for longer journeys the pubic chargers noted on various maps are actually available/working. To be fair I haven't tried yet so I certainly wouldn't criticise the network.

I believe I would be reasonably chilled about hunting for a working charge point but my wife might lose patience and question my EV purchase!

Thank you again.
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

Welcome Grant,
I had range anxiety but only in my first Renault Zoe which had a 22kWh battery giving 100+ miles in summer and just around 60 miles in winter :shock:
Even then we did trips from Dundee to Blackpool and the Scottish highlands, its all about planning, decide where best to charge with maybe around 30 miles remaining and make sure there is a backup charge point within that 30 miles in case of a faulty or busy first option.

We regularly do Dundee to Manchester now without any worries, and in 7 yrs driving EVs have never run out of electrons yet :)
Probably jinxed it now though :lol:
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Deleted User 2515

Thank you.

I'm hugely impressed with your journey experiences.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Welcome Grant. Your driving efficiency sounds brilliant! Range anxiety will reduce over time but I would also recommend going for a rapid charge a couple times when you don't actually need it, so that you feel more confident you could manage if things went wrong one day. Rapid charging is actually really easy if you have done it a few times and stick to using providers that take contactless cards without the need for payment apps, and avoid sites with a single charger. The vast majority of such chargers have instructions written on them that you just need to follow carefully. I can honestly say I have no range or charging anxiety any more after 4000 miles in our ID3 (I've rapid-charged away from home around 15-20 times now). You do need to be comfortable using one or two apps to find the chargers in the first place.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Deleted User 2515

sidehaas wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:35 pm Welcome Grant. Your driving efficiency sounds brilliant! Range anxiety will reduce over time but I would also recommend going for a rapid charge a couple times when you don't actually need it, so that you feel more confident you could manage if things went wrong one day. Rapid charging is actually really easy if you have done it a few times and stick to using providers that take contactless cards without the need for payment apps, and avoid sites with a single charger. The vast majority of such chargers have instructions written on them that you just need to follow carefully. I can honestly say I have no range or charging anxiety any more after 4000 miles in our ID3 (I've rapid-charged away from home around 15-20 times now). You do need to be comfortable using one or two apps to find the chargers in the first place.
That is super helpful advice.

Thank you.