ID3 here we come!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

Looking forward to collecting my “new to me” ID3 Max from JCT600 in a few weeks time. Already planned how to get from Bradford to Inverness (home) using Zap-Map. A whole new world!!!

63FD762C-FECD-4ED2-95AD-99B7B519E869.jpeg

4D76756C-0824-4537-AFC2-D7EEAA63439D.jpeg

iD3 Max Pro Performance 58kWh. All bells. All whistles. Software Version 3.0

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

EVCal wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:55 am Looking forward to collecting my “new to me” ID3 Max from JCT600 in a few weeks time. Already planned how to get from Bradford to Inverness (home) using Zap-Map. A whole new world!!!
If you’re new to EV’s make sure to choose a charging station with 4 stalls if you can and maybe charge quite early to get some stress free charging practice in. Maybe even at the Ionity in Leeds!
I think you’ll love the smooth, quiet, punchy drive.
Enjoy!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

Hopefully pick up the car fully charged and head straight for the M62 then M6 north! I'm amazed at how well sorted the Zap-map App is. Makes the journey planning so easy.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Nice one! Looking forwards to hearing how the journey went.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

Sh!tting myself if I'm honest!!!!! :)
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Have a look at A Better Route Planner as well. Can be a useful confidence builder. I’d assume 3.6 mi /kWh for motorway driving to be on the safe side.

I drove fine from Yorkshire to Skye in my ID3 a year ago, although the Highlands are a bit sketchy for chargers.
I used the Ionity at Gretna. You could also have a practice at the Darwen Ionity just off the M6 (M65) near Preston if you fancy a break and practice👍🏻
Not sure your best charging options up to Inverness but Osprey and Instavolt are amongst the most reliable and always have at least 2 stalls. The best advice is always to have a charging plan B nearby and play on the cautious side re SOC.
Keep calm and enjoy.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Gridserve at Burton is a good option if you needed an early charge too.
There is a Fastned hub at Hamilton (you need an app or RFID card for Fastned though, like Ionity)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

Thanks for the tips.👍
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 am Gridserve at Burton is a good option if you needed an early charge too.
There is a Fastned hub at Hamilton (you need an app or RFID card for Fastned though, like Ionity)
According to the Fastned website a chargecard will do ...
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

EVCal wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:55 am Looking forward to collecting my “new to me” ID3 Max from JCT600 in a few weeks time. Already planned how to get from Bradford to Inverness (home) using Zap-Map.
I picked mine up from Hawco in Inverness in June and drove it back to Hertfordshire. Good luck with the journey!
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

SO, departed Bradford on Sunday 11am with a 100% charge. Learning the car on the way up the A65 towards Kendal. Nice easy pace, mixed traffic, using the auto driving functions a bit. Smooth, quiet, so easy to drive. Motorway driving was so easy, and the Heads-Up Display with the Augmented Reality is a bit mind-blowing! Very useful indeed, along with the little indication light on the Wing Mirrors telling you of the object in your blind spot.

Plan was to make it to Hamilton and the ChargePlace Scotland 50kW Charger (free), opposite the Council offices. Easily made it with 40 miles left in the tank.
I topped up to 80% (in 50 minutes), during which time I frequented the local grocers where the obligatory local was purchasing his Buckfast at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon. You gotta believe it. Not much else going on at this off-piste charging spot. Got to love that it's free though. I like it that during the top up, the ID3 eventually tells you that you no longer need an intermediate charging stop before your next planned stop. Useful information.

I then headed to Perth (Inveralmond) to trial some BP pulse and Ionity chargers. Didn't need them this day but will use them in future runs up & down the A9. BP pulse was OK, said it was 50kW, but only gave out 37kW. I then tried Ionity and was a fail - 3 times I tried. Each time it took the £1 off my contactless card but each time failed to deliver any juice. Not impressed. I did receive an automatic 100% refund a few days later though, so that's OK.
Stopped at Pitlochry for a top up to 80% just to see me to the "winning line" without any anxiety! By this time, it was almost 8pm, p!ssing rain and dark. I began to wonder if this electric charging / save the planet stuff is actually worth it. Depressing place on a rainy Sunday night!!!!! After 32 minutes, we were ready, and glad, to go.

Got home at 21:50.

I reckon in a regular car (petrol or diesel) I could've battered up the road a good bit quicker, used plenty fuel and would've been home by 18:00.
It would've cost me about £80 and I would've released all sorts of CO and nasty particulates into the environment.
Instead, I was almost 4 hours later, for FREE and may have helped saved the planet a little bit, maybe...

Don't get me wrong, I think this electric glorified Milk Float is a great idea. Not sure of the infrastructure yet and speed of delivery. That makes a huge difference to the experience.
As far as the ID3 goes.... bloody great car, not so small as I had first thought, quite wide, good acceleration (even in Eco mode), loads of good tech to get used to, so, so easy to drive I wonder why I had never owned any automatic car before.
Since getting home and surprising / presenting the car to my wife as her new Daily Driver, she has quickly grown to love it and within 2 days became an expert on the local free chargers. Scotland seems quite unique here with a free (Government sponsored) electricity network so we will continue to make the most of it while it lasts.
So, in summary, ID3 was fine for a long-distance journey. I enjoyed the music more than an ICE car due to the lower noise in cabin. The auto-driving functions, lane assist, travel assist etc were useful. The biggest problem is the infrastructure, not the car.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you use hubs with faster chargers it's quite a bit quicker, but also not as cheap. Glad you like the car!
Ionity don't usually take contactless credit cards, you either use an RFID card like wecharge or Octopus Electric Universe (used to be called Electric Juice) or you use an app.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

EVCal wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 pm Don't get me wrong, I think this electric glorified Milk Float is a great idea.
I can't wait to get mine!! Nice one pal.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

EVCal wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 pm I reckon in a regular car (petrol or diesel) I could've battered up the road a good bit quicker, used plenty fuel and would've been home by 18:00.
It would've cost me about £80 and I would've released all sorts of CO and nasty particulates into the environment.
Instead, I was almost 4 hours later, for FREE and may have helped saved the planet a little bit, maybe...
Bradford to Inverness is 360 miles so in theory you only needed 1 charging stop, probably for 45 mins. So the +4 hrs in an EV seems a bit harsh!
I guess if you wanted significant juice when you arrived 2 stops, 1hr 30 mins maybe. Although clearly you would have stopped for rest breaks anyway…
And to be pedantic if you charged 100% at home the journey wasn’t free😛
Glad you enjoyed the car though. It is a lovely tourer. I always arrive much less battered in the ID3 after a long journey!
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:30 pm If you use hubs with faster chargers it's quite a bit quicker, but also not as cheap. Glad you like the car!
Ionity don't usually take contactless credit cards, you either use an RFID card like wecharge or Octopus Electric Universe (used to be called Electric Juice) or you use an app.
This is the way to go IMHO. Plan journey's around 100+ KW chargers and accept the cost, it makes the journey much quicker and is still cheaper than an ICE car (at the moment). This way you get all the benefits of the electric car smoothness, less environmental impact without very long charging times.

After 2500 miles in France doing this I came away thinking why would I go back to ICE
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

OB1CCFC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:21 am
EVCal wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 pm I reckon in a regular car (petrol or diesel) I could've battered up the road a good bit quicker, used plenty fuel and would've been home by 18:00.
Bradford to Inverness is 360 miles so in theory you only needed 1 charging stop, probably for 45 mins. So the +4 hrs in an EV seems a bit harsh!
I guess if you wanted significant juice when you arrived 2 stops, 1hr 30 mins maybe. Although clearly you would have stopped for rest breaks anyway…
Glad you enjoyed the car though. It is a lovely tourer. I always arrive much less battered in the ID3 after a long journey!
The VW dealer in Bradford had charged the car to 100% for me before I collected the car. That’s free in my book👍
The simple fact that if you go at proper speeds you will not get the range as stated in the spec. Around 55mph is great for economy but I want to get home in good time. The ID3 actually told me to slow down or I would not make it to my planned charging destination.
Love the car, hate the infrastructure.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

EVCal wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:47 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:21 am
The VW dealer in Bradford had charged the car to 100% for me before I collected the car. That’s free in my book👍
The simple fact that if you go at proper speeds you will not get the range as stated in the spec. Around 55mph is great for economy but I want to get home in good time. The ID3 actually told me to slow down or I would not make it to my planned charging destination.
Love the car, hate the infrastructure.
Fair enough on the dealer charging!
Having driven to Skye from near Keighley I had no problem driving at motorway speeds when possible. Can easily get to Glasgow area (or Sterling) for a charge which is over half way (for Skye or Inverness).
Admittedly the infrastructure in the Highlands is very creaky though!