ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
greebosolo

Post by greebosolo »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm
greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
The Zappi should work fine with the ID.3. Mine does. I haven't yet tried using the Zappi timer. Others have reported that with the current software level the ID.3 has an annoying habit of going to sleep when charging stops and not waking again when charging resumes. So the Zappi function to charge using excess solar generation for those of us with solar panels, doesn't work well. It will charge the car when first there is excess solar, but if the sun goes behind clouds and then comes back out again, the charge of course stops and when the Zappi tries to restart it, the car doesn't respond. I'm hoping that the elixir of youth known as software 2.1 will sort this problem out.
I heard about that and its sounds annoying but I watched a youtube video (can't remember who) and they had that problem because they had the charger set to disconnect automatically when charging stopped - I have been using it in eco charge mode at the moment - not super eco but I want to use the timer because I have Octopus Agility and wanted to make use of the cheaper rates after midnight. I will have to do an experiment t check this out. BTW I have solar panels and battery storage - fitted in October - so hope to get the benefit next summer!

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm
greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
The Zappi should work fine with the ID.3. Mine does. I haven't yet tried using the Zappi timer. Others have reported that with the current software level the ID.3 has an annoying habit of going to sleep when charging stops and not waking again when charging resumes. So the Zappi function to charge using excess solar generation for those of us with solar panels, doesn't work well. It will charge the car when first there is excess solar, but if the sun goes behind clouds and then comes back out again, the charge of course stops and when the Zappi tries to restart it, the car doesn't respond. I'm hoping that the elixir of youth known as software 2.1 will sort this problem out.
I heard about that and its sounds annoying but I watched a youtube video (can't remember who) and they had that problem because they had the charger set to disconnect automatically when charging stopped - I have been using it in eco charge mode at the moment - not super eco but I want to use the timer because I have Octopus Agility and wanted to make use of the cheaper rates after midnight. I will have to do an experiment t check this out. BTW I have solar panels and battery storage - fitted in October - so hope to get the benefit next summer!
That makes sense, thanks for this info.
We're in similar circumstances, I had solar PV and battery installed in September and an awaiting spring and summer to see the benefit!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

Having read everyone’s contributions to this thread I am still a bit confused.

I have the 0783 software installed and now have access to “locations” and preferred charging times etc, but I just can’t get it to work properly using our Pod-Point Solo charger.

The only way I can reliably charge our ID3 at the moment is to plug it in without any location saved and therefore no timer functionality.

I have performed several factory resets since getting the 0783 software, in an effort to get timed charging to work, with no success so far. The resets have resulted in me losing the Weconnect QR code, so I now have no app functionality either.

Can anyone who has 0783 software and is able to charge successfully using the timer function in the car explain to me how you do it, step by step?

Many thanks
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I tried to get timed charging working with my 7kW Pod Point the other night.

My tariff gives me cheap rate from 20:30-01:30, I tried setting a departure time of 01:00 with a charge level of 80% and all the car did was charge at about 2kW - by 01:00 it was at 51%

I’ve read elsewhere that it is known not to work with 2.0 but will in 2.1 rolling out from February/March - fingers crossed!

For now, I just plug in manually at 20:30 and set the % level I know should make it stop before 01:30
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

That’s really interesting, thank you for replying.

I have experienced exactly the same thing when using the timer - where the car does charge, but at a ridiculously slow rate.

I guess we will just have to wait until 2.1 and hope that it all gets sorted!

I wish I could get app functionality back in the meantime though....

Cheers
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Skinnpops55

Post by Skinnpops55 »

My Pod Point charger has a tendency to cut out after 30 mins or so. Disconnecting the charging cable and reinserting several times seems to allow it to charge for longer. Anyone else had this problem? Not sure if it's an ID3 issue or a Pod Point issue. Still on 0564 software and not had any other faults, but only had the car 3 weeks and only done around 200 miles so far.
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

I have exactly the same problem and was going to post also. I'm 0564 software and same thing with Pod Point. Seems to stop charging after 30mins or so. I unplug and plug back in and normally charges ok up to 80% or whatever I've got it set for.

I've just put the car on charge and have switched off "Automatic release AC cable" on the We Connect App settings. See if that makes a difference.

Chris
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

Didn’t make a difference. Stopped charging after giving me 5% charge now can’t get it charge at all. Unplug, plug back in. Pod-point and car both show green lights. Stops again in less than a minute. Get the red light on the pod-point. I’ll call them tomorrow.
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

ChrisCSL wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:13 pm Didn’t make a difference. Stopped charging after giving me 5% charge now can’t get it charge at all. Unplug, plug back in. Pod-point and car both show green lights. Stops again in less than a minute. Get the red light on the pod-point. I’ll call them tomorrow.
Just an update. I switched the pod-point charger off by the circuit breaker to do a proper reset (making sure car was unplugged). Left switched off for 10 mins, then switched back on again. Plugged car back in and it charged fine for the remaining 10% to reach the 80% it was set to charge to. Not sure if that's fixed it going forward so we'll see.
RDR

Post by RDR »

Had the 2.0 installed this week tried timed charging last night it didn’t work. I seemed to have got 10% charge in 5 hours. Reading the thread think I’ll turn location off and go back to the timer method I installed on my charge point and wait for 2.1 :-/
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

I found exactly the same thing, car started charging as requested under “locations” but only added a tiny amount of range. I also tried setting a departure time to see if that would force the car to up its charging rate, but it didn’t make any difference.

I have installed a relay in line with the pilot wire in my pod point charger, which I can operate on a timer via an app. This doesn’t work either though, because if I have left the car “asleep” for more than an hour or so it won’t respond to the charger when it engages.

So now I just plug it in before going to bed, as close to midnight as I can.

I was convinced that having software 0783 would have solved the timed charging issue, as apparently it works flawlessly in existing VW models such as the Golf and Passat GTE. We still love the car but I have to say I am genuinely amazed at how poorly some of the software has been designed/implemented.
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Deleted User 192

I had a play last week with departure times, setting 01:30 to match the end of my 5-hour off-peak tariff - it didn’t work. Apparently this is a known issue and will be rectified in the 2.1 software, I’ve given up trying for now.

The car charged at about 1/3 of the maximum rate from my Pod Point throughout the whole period, never increasing the rate to try and hit the 80% at 01:30 which the car was configured for.

If I had just plugged it in and done a manual charge it would have hit 80% by about 00:00, so there was easily the potential for it to reach 80% but it didn’t.
RDR

Post by RDR »

TomElleray wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:03 pm I found exactly the same thing, car started charging as requested under “locations” but only added a tiny amount of range. I also tried setting a departure time to see if that would force the car to up its charging rate, but it didn’t make any difference.

I have installed a relay in line with the pilot wire in my pod point charger, which I can operate on a timer via an app. This doesn’t work either though, because if I have left the car “asleep” for more than an hour or so it won’t respond to the charger when it engages.

So now I just plug it in before going to bed, as close to midnight as I can.

I was convinced that having software 0783 would have solved the timed charging issue, as apparently it works flawlessly in existing VW models such as the Golf and Passat GTE. We still love the car but I have to say I am genuinely amazed at how poorly some of the software has been designed/implemented.
For adding a timer I was going to go for the pilot but after thinking about it went for the power feed to the EVSE controller module. So far Worked 100% with the ID3, I have the timer set 12-5am - plug the car in it flashes white then goes red after detecting a plug but no response from the EVSE. Car goes to sleep and when the EVSE controller powers up at 12AM the car wakes and initiates the charge just fine. You only need a simple timer as the EVSE control module takes very little power to talk to the car and throw the 32amp Contactor.
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

That’s really interesting. I will have to take the cover off the pod point and see if I can do as you did.

Thanks
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Has anyone had the VW own Home charger installed and used it ?
Deleted User 192

Narked@50 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:00 pm Has anyone had the VW own Home charger installed and used it ?

It has been delayed til 2022 in the UK.
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger anyone have experience of this charger with id3 scheduled charge time.
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Yes but scheduled using the ohme app rather than in car or Id3 app. I’m on octopus go so set charge for 00:30 to 04:30 on ohme app, Plug in and let ohme charger sort it out.
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

I use the Ohme charging scheduler too.

As Ohme doesn't have full access to the ID.3's charging information you schedule top-ups rather than "to nn%" but the car will always be the final arbiter and if you have it set to charge to at 80% as recommended it will stop charging regardless of the Ohme's schedule.

If you want to use the car's scheduled charging time I think you'd probably need to switch all Ohme schedules off.
lm7693

Post by lm7693 »

In reply to an earlier post, I have a VW ID Charger Pro. I ordered it about 2 weeks before picking up the car in September. It arrived at the start of November. It works fine, and seems reliable. This is my first EV so I had nothing to compare it with - I just got it on the recommendation of the dealer. With hindsight, I didn't need some of its features, so I might have saved myself some money by going for something more basic.

It doesn't help with the timed charging, though!
ID. 3 1st Edition v3.2 Sept 2020
ID. 4 1st Edition v3.2 April 2021
VW ID. Charger Pro