ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
RDR

Post by RDR »

My dealers still waiting for equipment to upgrade ours now I’ve got a work around for timed charging I’ll wait for 2.1. I’ve kind of got used to ignoring all the other “features”

Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Really? Thanks! I'll get on to my retailer!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Rosiegloe wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:56 pm Really? Thanks! I'll get on to my retailer!

It seems that many dealers are only installing 2.0 on cars with faults that the updates fix, rather than just to gain the extra features - so list any faults/warnings when you contact them. They have to get VW to approve the update for your VIN as part of the process.
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

My area is in Tier 4 now so it looks like everything will be on hold for a few weeks now 🤨
Deleted User 192

Rosiegloe wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm My area is in Tier 4 now so it looks like everything will be on hold for a few weeks now 🤨

Same here but can’t imagine it will make any difference, the workshop techs can’t work from home
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

That’s true. I’ll call them in the new year.
Ians

Post by Ians »

My VW garage (Aylesbury, Bucks) is in Tier 4 and working as normal. My DS garage (Edgware) is working normally as well.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

I waited a while before contributing to this particular thread as wanted to have tested the charging a few times first! Having done that I wanted to share a positive news story about a different brand of charger I've not seen mentioned on this forum:

I have an Andersen (the A2) - and I can't recommend it enough. Already have an I-PACE and so have been using the charger with that for 18 months already - wanted to ensure it worked as well with the ID.3 - and it does. The charger has a fantastic app that allows me to do pretty much whatever I'd want from a charger I think! (including timed/scheduled charging etc. - so regardless of what functionality the car has the charger seems able to manage it!). The charger itself is able to be integrated with solar and home storage etc. if that's your thing....and the main selling point for me when we got ours was that it's actually a fabulous design - it's a good looking addition stuck on the front of your house - not sure that can be said for all of the chargers on the market! You can actually custom design your own charger in terms of colours etc. - and even have a wood-fronted charger if that better fits the aesthetics of your home.....I know not everyone will be as bothered about the aesthetics perhaps as I was - but it was important to me (we matched ours to the anthracite colour of our garage doors). Appreciate that they're not the cheapest chargers on the market - but they are incredibly well built (they're all aluminium; not plastic) - and so far it seems to function very much better than some other chargers with the ID.3 too!
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

stu-evs wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm I have an Andersen (the A2) - and I can't recommend it enough.

It looks very nice!

While we are on the topic of chargers that work, I am using an openEVSE (https://guide.openenergymonitor.org/int ... /openevse/) which works flawlessly with the ID.3 (and also my Leaf) and is ideal for those with some DIY skills that want a cheap but flexible solution. I can control mine via a web interface and it has lots of options for home energy management. It's not as pretty as the Andersen though.....
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question for those of you that have either “hacked” your charger with a relay to introduce a timer function, or have a timer function built in to your charger:

I have installed a relay in my pod point charger, that I can control from an app on my phone - thereby giving me timer functionality for charging on the cheap rates of electricity at night. I was wondering what settings you have in the vehicle to enable the car to be “woken up” by the charger when it kicks in? I can’t seem to get the car to wake up at the moment.

Thanks in advance
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

TomElleray wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question for those of you that have either “hacked” your charger with a relay to introduce a timer function, or have a timer function built in to your charger:

I have installed a relay in my pod point charger, that I can control from an app on my phone - thereby giving me timer functionality for charging on the cheap rates of electricity at night. I was wondering what settings you have in the vehicle to enable the car to be “woken up” by the charger when it kicks in? I can’t seem to get the car to wake up at the moment.

Thanks in advance
I think this is controlled by the charger not the car (or certainly to some extent) - on the Andersen charger I make no settings at all in the car - just controlled via the charger app. I believe the chargers have an information/control connection/wire to the car as well as simply power...I know some chargers have problems with certain cars - and when I've supported Andersen with a bit of Beta testing some time ago they needed to know the particular car that was being charged to ensure that the connectivity was correct.

In fact; I know Jaguar (I-PACE) still can't 'talk' to many chargers if you try to initiate timed charging from the car - but from my Andersen I can initiate & control it with the jaguar no problem....

Hope this helps (I realise it doesn't help with the Podpoint issue specifically - but hopefully the knowledge helps?!)
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.
Deleted User 192

Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 pm Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.

You will only get 22kW if you have a 3-phase electricity supply, the vast majority of homes do not and therefore only need a 7kW unit - the ID3 will take that amount of juice as fast as it’s delivered, so unless you have 3-phase order a 7kW and don’t worry.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 pm Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.
You will only get 22kW if you have a 3-phase electricity supply, the vast majority of homes do not and therefore only need a 7kW unit - the ID3 will take that amount of juice as fast as it’s delivered, so unless you have 3-phase order a 7kW and don’t worry.
Also the ID.3 only has an 11kW transformer so theoretically would only charge at 11kW even with a 22kW charging unit.
Maximum appears to be 7.2kW with Podpoint units accounting to Podpoint ID.3 page.
I am not sure why it wouldn't get 11kW as stated on Volkswagen 12 facts about the ID.3.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

Great advice thanks Scott, really useful. I'm useful considering the Andersen A2 as recommended above. I'll report back once ordered and installed.
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

simonrg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Also the ID.3 only has an 11kW transformer so theoretically would only charge at 11kW even with a 22kW charging unit.
Maximum appears to be 7.2kW with Podpoint units accounting to Podpoint ID.3 page.
I am not sure why it wouldn't get 11kW as stated on Volkswagen 12 facts about the ID.3.
Great, thanks Simon. All new to this so lots to learn! Cheers
greebosolo

Post by greebosolo »

Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
The Zappi should work fine with the ID.3. Mine does. I haven't yet tried using the Zappi timer. Others have reported that with the current software level the ID.3 has an annoying habit of going to sleep when charging stops and not waking again when charging resumes. So the Zappi function to charge using excess solar generation for those of us with solar panels, doesn't work well. It will charge the car when first there is excess solar, but if the sun goes behind clouds and then comes back out again, the charge of course stops and when the Zappi tries to restart it, the car doesn't respond. I'm hoping that the elixir of youth known as software 2.1 will sort this problem out.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

[/quote]
[/quote]
All
7.2KW is apparently the standard that has been set in the UK for single phase chargers, Although itis possible to draw 10.5 kW for some electric showers and even more for some oven/cooker combinations, it has been deemed that it isn't viable for EV chargers to draw more than 50% of the theoretical capacity of older domestic systems, so we are all limited to that. It would be interesting to know how it works in German and the Nordic countries. I bet they can all charge merrily away at 11kw at home!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

To get 11kW you need three phase 16A supply. Most German houses are supplied with 3 phase. In the UK a domestic 3 phase supply is a rarity.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger