ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Thanks Devonlad. I’ll give them a call if I have any issues.

CSRCH

Post by CSRCH »

I hope this is the correct thread, apologies in advance if not. I have a daily commute of approx 120 miles, would it be detrimental to the battery if I were to charge to 90% daily? I would like to have some additional range available if necessary on occasion. I am new to the world of EVs and am keen to maintain the battery health. Thank you.
mc1611

Post by mc1611 »

Good question CSRCH, I owned a BMW i3 for 4 years and BMW never mentioned to charge to 80%. It was always to 100%. Given the limited range, the scarcity of public charging points (and the ridiculous price they charge) I can’t afford to loose 20% of the range.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

CSRCH wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:56 am I hope this is the correct thread, apologies in advance if not. I have a daily commute of approx 120 miles, would it be detrimental to the battery if I were to charge to 90% daily? I would like to have some additional range available if necessary on occasion. I am new to the world of EVs and am keen to maintain the battery health. Thank you.
From my understanding, having the battery sit for long periods of time at over 80% charge will shorten its life. In your case, if you charge to 90% or even 100% just before your commute it should not adversely affect your battery.
Burtonman

Post by Burtonman »

I have a similar problem to an earlier contributor, 30 miles per hour charging unscheduled and9 if I schedule after Midnight. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

From my understanding, having the battery sit for long periods of time at over 80% charge will shorten its life.
That is correct. Just look at how factory-new Lithium cells are delivered from the factory, they are at approx 80% SOC. The manual also recommends 80% IIRC. It is when you go on that long, crosscountry drive you charge to 100%
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Burtonman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 am I have a similar problem to an earlier contributor, 30 miles per hour charging unscheduled and9 if I schedule after Midnight. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

You’re probably not doing anything wrong, the in-car scheduled charging is known to be troublesome. If you can do a scheduled charge with your charger that will be the best option til VW crack the in-car stuff.

Some report greater success with the in-car stuff by setting multiple shorter timers rather than a single longer one, so maybe give that a go and see what happens.