ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

TomElleray wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question for those of you that have either “hacked” your charger with a relay to introduce a timer function, or have a timer function built in to your charger:

I have installed a relay in my pod point charger, that I can control from an app on my phone - thereby giving me timer functionality for charging on the cheap rates of electricity at night. I was wondering what settings you have in the vehicle to enable the car to be “woken up” by the charger when it kicks in? I can’t seem to get the car to wake up at the moment.

Thanks in advance
I think this is controlled by the charger not the car (or certainly to some extent) - on the Andersen charger I make no settings at all in the car - just controlled via the charger app. I believe the chargers have an information/control connection/wire to the car as well as simply power...I know some chargers have problems with certain cars - and when I've supported Andersen with a bit of Beta testing some time ago they needed to know the particular car that was being charged to ensure that the connectivity was correct.

In fact; I know Jaguar (I-PACE) still can't 'talk' to many chargers if you try to initiate timed charging from the car - but from my Andersen I can initiate & control it with the jaguar no problem....

Hope this helps (I realise it doesn't help with the Podpoint issue specifically - but hopefully the knowledge helps?!)
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366

Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 pm Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.

You will only get 22kW if you have a 3-phase electricity supply, the vast majority of homes do not and therefore only need a 7kW unit - the ID3 will take that amount of juice as fast as it’s delivered, so unless you have 3-phase order a 7kW and don’t worry.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 pm Hi, I have a new ID3 on order and looking at charging units. The Podpoint site gives an option for a 22kW charging unit but says charging speed will be limited by your Volkswagen ID.3's onboard charger? New to all this so any help appreciated.
You will only get 22kW if you have a 3-phase electricity supply, the vast majority of homes do not and therefore only need a 7kW unit - the ID3 will take that amount of juice as fast as it’s delivered, so unless you have 3-phase order a 7kW and don’t worry.
Also the ID.3 only has an 11kW transformer so theoretically would only charge at 11kW even with a 22kW charging unit.
Maximum appears to be 7.2kW with Podpoint units accounting to Podpoint ID.3 page.
I am not sure why it wouldn't get 11kW as stated on Volkswagen 12 facts about the ID.3.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

Great advice thanks Scott, really useful. I'm useful considering the Andersen A2 as recommended above. I'll report back once ordered and installed.
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

simonrg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Also the ID.3 only has an 11kW transformer so theoretically would only charge at 11kW even with a 22kW charging unit.
Maximum appears to be 7.2kW with Podpoint units accounting to Podpoint ID.3 page.
I am not sure why it wouldn't get 11kW as stated on Volkswagen 12 facts about the ID.3.
Great, thanks Simon. All new to this so lots to learn! Cheers
greebosolo

Post by greebosolo »

Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
The Zappi should work fine with the ID.3. Mine does. I haven't yet tried using the Zappi timer. Others have reported that with the current software level the ID.3 has an annoying habit of going to sleep when charging stops and not waking again when charging resumes. So the Zappi function to charge using excess solar generation for those of us with solar panels, doesn't work well. It will charge the car when first there is excess solar, but if the sun goes behind clouds and then comes back out again, the charge of course stops and when the Zappi tries to restart it, the car doesn't respond. I'm hoping that the elixir of youth known as software 2.1 will sort this problem out.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

[/quote]
[/quote]
All
7.2KW is apparently the standard that has been set in the UK for single phase chargers, Although itis possible to draw 10.5 kW for some electric showers and even more for some oven/cooker combinations, it has been deemed that it isn't viable for EV chargers to draw more than 50% of the theoretical capacity of older domestic systems, so we are all limited to that. It would be interesting to know how it works in German and the Nordic countries. I bet they can all charge merrily away at 11kw at home!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

To get 11kW you need three phase 16A supply. Most German houses are supplied with 3 phase. In the UK a domestic 3 phase supply is a rarity.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
greebosolo

Post by greebosolo »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm
greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am Does anyone have experience with the myenergy Zappi charger - I am trying to figure out if I can use the timer on it.
The Zappi should work fine with the ID.3. Mine does. I haven't yet tried using the Zappi timer. Others have reported that with the current software level the ID.3 has an annoying habit of going to sleep when charging stops and not waking again when charging resumes. So the Zappi function to charge using excess solar generation for those of us with solar panels, doesn't work well. It will charge the car when first there is excess solar, but if the sun goes behind clouds and then comes back out again, the charge of course stops and when the Zappi tries to restart it, the car doesn't respond. I'm hoping that the elixir of youth known as software 2.1 will sort this problem out.
I heard about that and its sounds annoying but I watched a youtube video (can't remember who) and they had that problem because they had the charger set to disconnect automatically when charging stopped - I have been using it in eco charge mode at the moment - not super eco but I want to use the timer because I have Octopus Agility and wanted to make use of the cheaper rates after midnight. I will have to do an experiment t check this out. BTW I have solar panels and battery storage - fitted in October - so hope to get the benefit next summer!
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

greebosolo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm
I heard about that and its sounds annoying but I watched a youtube video (can't remember who) and they had that problem because they had the charger set to disconnect automatically when charging stopped - I have been using it in eco charge mode at the moment - not super eco but I want to use the timer because I have Octopus Agility and wanted to make use of the cheaper rates after midnight. I will have to do an experiment t check this out. BTW I have solar panels and battery storage - fitted in October - so hope to get the benefit next summer!
That makes sense, thanks for this info.
We're in similar circumstances, I had solar PV and battery installed in September and an awaiting spring and summer to see the benefit!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

Having read everyone’s contributions to this thread I am still a bit confused.

I have the 0783 software installed and now have access to “locations” and preferred charging times etc, but I just can’t get it to work properly using our Pod-Point Solo charger.

The only way I can reliably charge our ID3 at the moment is to plug it in without any location saved and therefore no timer functionality.

I have performed several factory resets since getting the 0783 software, in an effort to get timed charging to work, with no success so far. The resets have resulted in me losing the Weconnect QR code, so I now have no app functionality either.

Can anyone who has 0783 software and is able to charge successfully using the timer function in the car explain to me how you do it, step by step?

Many thanks
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I tried to get timed charging working with my 7kW Pod Point the other night.

My tariff gives me cheap rate from 20:30-01:30, I tried setting a departure time of 01:00 with a charge level of 80% and all the car did was charge at about 2kW - by 01:00 it was at 51%

I’ve read elsewhere that it is known not to work with 2.0 but will in 2.1 rolling out from February/March - fingers crossed!

For now, I just plug in manually at 20:30 and set the % level I know should make it stop before 01:30
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

That’s really interesting, thank you for replying.

I have experienced exactly the same thing when using the timer - where the car does charge, but at a ridiculously slow rate.

I guess we will just have to wait until 2.1 and hope that it all gets sorted!

I wish I could get app functionality back in the meantime though....

Cheers
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Skinnpops55

Post by Skinnpops55 »

My Pod Point charger has a tendency to cut out after 30 mins or so. Disconnecting the charging cable and reinserting several times seems to allow it to charge for longer. Anyone else had this problem? Not sure if it's an ID3 issue or a Pod Point issue. Still on 0564 software and not had any other faults, but only had the car 3 weeks and only done around 200 miles so far.
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

I have exactly the same problem and was going to post also. I'm 0564 software and same thing with Pod Point. Seems to stop charging after 30mins or so. I unplug and plug back in and normally charges ok up to 80% or whatever I've got it set for.

I've just put the car on charge and have switched off "Automatic release AC cable" on the We Connect App settings. See if that makes a difference.

Chris
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

Didn’t make a difference. Stopped charging after giving me 5% charge now can’t get it charge at all. Unplug, plug back in. Pod-point and car both show green lights. Stops again in less than a minute. Get the red light on the pod-point. I’ll call them tomorrow.
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

ChrisCSL wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:13 pm Didn’t make a difference. Stopped charging after giving me 5% charge now can’t get it charge at all. Unplug, plug back in. Pod-point and car both show green lights. Stops again in less than a minute. Get the red light on the pod-point. I’ll call them tomorrow.
Just an update. I switched the pod-point charger off by the circuit breaker to do a proper reset (making sure car was unplugged). Left switched off for 10 mins, then switched back on again. Plugged car back in and it charged fine for the remaining 10% to reach the 80% it was set to charge to. Not sure if that's fixed it going forward so we'll see.
RDR

Post by RDR »

Had the 2.0 installed this week tried timed charging last night it didn’t work. I seemed to have got 10% charge in 5 hours. Reading the thread think I’ll turn location off and go back to the timer method I installed on my charge point and wait for 2.1 :-/