New Owner

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:42 am
simonrg wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 am
scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm Some cars do apparently require a new control unit to take the newer software, sounds like yours is one of those unfortunately.
Thinking out loud, please point out my error, the car has a unique VIN which VW will have linked to exactly what components have been used to build that vehicle. I would have hoped the dealer would have been aware of any incompatibility this before attempting to update and even before the car was brought back for servicing.
The apparent lack of communication / information flow between VW and dealers, leaves the owners without their vehicles.
The posts I’ve read suggest it’s more of a faulty control unit issue rather than some known in advance compatibility issue.
Sorry, I was thinking in terms of different rather than replacement, I guess i have been reading too much about ID.3s being sat in car parks for long periods of time.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

£1000 doesn't seem unreasonable, you might be better off asking for something in kind with a cost value of £1000, so winter tyres, charge card, mud flaps, ....
Please let us know how you get on.
[/quote]

I told them it's the first car that I've ever felt the need for breakdown cover and he offered me three years cover as goodwill. Too cheap by far.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Folkramfer wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:54 pm
I told them it's the first car that I've ever felt the need for breakdown cover and he offered me three years cover as goodwill. Too cheap by far.

I hate to say it, but you get 3 years as standard - see page 27: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Probably meant an extra three years. If you ask me these cars need this at the very minimum.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Yes, still in dealers. VW have told the dealer to fit a new control unit, which they say will be the same as on the cars they're currently making. Only thing is they're out of stock so on back order.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Still in dealers awaiting new control unit. Estimated delivery dates have come and gone and the dealer is expecting further delay, citing world wide material shortages for ev tech stuff. (Not too technical, eh!)
He's offered to buy the car back at no loss to ourselves but that leaves us back at square one.

Would we choose another id3? The first editions available are no dearer than we paid but are all pre-registered, classed as used, when we bought a brand new unregistered car.

Are we better off with, say a Family than a first? Can't now find sensible comparisons.
So far I've told the dealer we'll wait until 4th March (next planned date for parts) and then consider his offer.

Should we wait for new registrations? but then they could be much dearer. (Or not)

It all seemed so easy to start with.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Folkramfer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:58 pm Still in dealers awaiting new control unit. Estimated delivery dates have come and gone and the dealer is expecting further delay, citing world wide material shortages for ev tech stuff. (Not too technical, eh!)
He's offered to buy the car back at no loss to ourselves but that leaves us back at square one.

Would we choose another id3? The first editions available are no dearer than we paid but are all pre-registered, classed as used, when we bought a brand new unregistered car.

Are we better off with, say a Family than a first? Can't now find sensible comparisons.
So far I've told the dealer we'll wait until 4th March (next planned date for parts) and then consider his offer.

Should we wait for new registrations? but then they could be much dearer. (Or not)

It all seemed so easy to start with.
Good idea to wait until 4th March no reason to hurry, would he also extend the offer, ideally get a fixed date he would keep the offer open for or as you basically want a working car, ask him to keep the offer open until the car has been fixed, and you have been satisfied that it has been fixed plus fit alloys at VW's expense as compensation for the inconvenience. Probably too much of an ask.

I feel for you, it really bad that you last had your car on 5th January(?) so 4th March will be 2 months and you had it for 2 days, not good.

With less severe problems than you had, we have hung onto the car (4 weeks before VW agreed to address issues, 2 weeks in garage, 4 weeks VW promising solutions), as it took us a long time to find the right EV, only to find out it wasn't as described, but going back to square one doesn't help as nothing has changed.

Accepting the cash and getting a pre-registered will make you second owner, but presumably will be similar date of first registration as your current ID.3. Plus you would set the purchase clock back to zero, so if the car wasn't working you could reject this relatively easily within the first 30 days, a luxury you have now lost with your current ID.3. Is this an advantage or just more hassle?

If I was in your position then I would be tempted to give up on your current ID.3, knowing what I know (6 weeks of ID.3 ownership), I think I would hand your ID.3 back and go for a different model, the table below is quite a good comparison personally I think the Business a nice spec level (matrix light, reversing camera, keyless entry), but depends on cost as well obviously.

210101ID.3-Different Specs.jpg

ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Is it old feature table?
German Life has Comfort package included.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

I think you will find the Life model has Heated/Power folding door mirrors, Auto dimming rear view mirror, heated front seats , 2 USB in rear, heated steering wheel etc.
Mine has.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Sorry the table is out of date, I find the VW brochure difficult to follow the way it lists things as packs, but also individually lists items, which the table replicates with some things being listed as best but then also in packs - the latest brochure is dated 11/2/21 so at least 2 new brochures since the table was published.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Thanks for the info and advice Simonrg. I was trying to find comparisons between first edition which we have (not) and other variants. There was a VW chart but they've now dropped the first edition off the chart so I can't easily compare features. Just want a similar level of spec. We traded in a nearly new Mercedes A class with top spec to get a VW with a lot less but all electric, and don't want to drop any lower. Decision time next week.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Folkramfer wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:40 pm Thanks for the info and advice Simonrg. I was trying to find comparisons between first edition which we have (not) and other variants. There was a VW chart but they've now dropped the first edition off the chart so I can't easily compare features. Just want a similar level of spec. We traded in a nearly new Mercedes A class with top spec to get a VW with a lot less but all electric, and don't want to drop any lower. Decision time next week.

My dealer showed me this back in October when I was looking at specs:

84E8AD8B-A789-410B-8B7E-888509F7F0B1.jpeg

Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Thanks Scott28tt
That's gives me a good comparison.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

So, after 11 weeks I am informed that the new control unit is on site and will be installed with 2.1 software.
Assuming all goes well, what on earth am I going to ask as compensation for a new car that we only just drove home and haven't seen since? Apart from 3 months loss of use it's now an old car as the new registrations are now out.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Folkramfer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am So, after 11 weeks I am informed that the new control unit is on site and will be installed with 2.1 software.
Assuming all goes well, what on earth am I going to ask as compensation for a new car that we only just drove home and haven't seen since? Apart from 3 months loss of use it's now an old car as the new registrations are now out.
If you have it on finance I guess you should be able to get the months payment back, if you purchased outright then it seem reasonable to get the same, but I suspect that would be more difficult.
Hope all goes well, and your old car feels like a new car to you again.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Did get on finance as vw gave £3k incentive. Was going to cancel finance after a couple of weeks but haven't as not sure what was happening.

It would be good to know any suggestions for goods in kind rather than claiming monetary compensation. As the first edition is well specd I cant think of much we could ask for.

As to value, it's interesting that I could now buy the same car, pre-registered 2020 but new for £3000 less than we paid in December for a car that we are still waiting to get.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Still no car, new control unit failed and needs new infotainment unit (on order). I've bad enough and asked for out plus plus. Waiting over a week for response from VW.