Introduction

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Burnham

Post by Burnham »

Will buy an electric car this year, but can't decide what to buy.

Maximum range is essential for me.

ID.3 Pro is version I would need, although would consider any other version with the larger battery should VW extend the current range.

OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Burnham wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:23 am Will buy an electric car this year, but can't decide what to buy.

Maximum range is essential for me.

ID.3 Pro is version I would need, although would consider any other version with the larger battery should VW extend the current range.
Great news you are considering an EV :)

Working out what to buy is difficult - we had a 'gateway' electric car in the BMW i3 - it was the range extender version and so had 110 miles electric range and then a small 7 litre petrol tank that charged the battery, giving us about 150-160 miles total range, with the option to fill up with petrol in the absence of chargers.

I can comfortably say, after two years of that car, we never ran out of charge or got close, and only ever used the range extender a couple of times. What I found surprising was just how quickly I adjusted - we regularly did 300 mile journeys, stopping off for a total of 80 minutes to charge. But then, after two hours in traffic, it is nice to stop for that long to get a coffee and stretch legs.

The ID.3 is amazing and I think that a summer range of 230-260 miles is comfortable for many. I suppose there are a few considerations -

Driveway - to charge overnight
Usage - If you have the above, then a 120 - 150 mile roundtrip daily is still perfectly possible with an ID.3 with the 58kWh battery.
Location - We are lucky in the South West, Exeter has tonnes of chargers and all our routes up country have plenty of chargers. If you haven't already, download ZapMap to find all the chargers in the UK.

Welcome - let us know how you get on!