What a nice car!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Hi. I recently bought an ID 3 Business Pro Performance in Manganese grey with 19” Andoya alloys and a heat pump. It had been pre-registered by the main dealer I bought it from, but that meant that I got about £6k off, and it was in stock. I saw it advertised on Sunday evening, and it was delivered on Thursday afternoon. It had 46 miles on the clock, 40 of which were the delivery miles from the dealership to my house. It has the latest version of the software installed, and I’ve had no issues that were not RTFM related so far. I had been planning to change my car later in the year, but this deal just sang out to me. The car is my preferred colour, it has the bits I would have specified, they offered me a very fair trade in on my old Golf, and money off so I took the plunge, and I’m really pleased that I did.

One oddity I noticed after having it on my drive for a couple of days is that it doesn’t have the decals on the C pillar. Happily, I prefer it that way, so for me it’s a plus! I don’t have a home charger yet. That’s being fitted next Wednesday. I’ve gone for the Ohme to pair with the Octopus Agile tariff. Until then I’ll be charging in the wild, but fortunately there are plenty of rapid chargers around locally.

I must say, the sales guy at the dealership was a total chocolate teapot. I feel I bought the car in spite of his ‘assistance’. He obviously knew absolutely nothing about the car. He had no idea what a heat pump was, couldn’t tell me anything about the software version, and kept going on about how good the fuel efficiency was. This is a sales guy in a major Volkswagen main agency! Even when he called back after ‘speaking to the technical people’ he just waffled on about something totally unrelated to my question. Fortunately he was just there to facilitate a purchase I’d already decided upon and had already spent a couple of years researching, so in my case he didn’t really make any difference. If the rest of the VW sales force are similarly unprepared for the ID range though, I don’t rate their chances of success very highly.

Anyway, rant over. I’m very pleased with the car. It’s a pleasure to drive. It’s very spacious and comfortable. Apple Car Play is a dream! I like the slightly higher driving position too. Still getting used to the techy fiddly bits, but I’ve found lots of useful tips on these very pages that have saved me from the tender mercies of teapot. Looking forward to the time when we can get out and about more and take on longer trips than down to Tesco and back.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Rear pillar decals are only standard on the 1st Edition - they complement the capped mirrors and roof-line trim (all of which are optional on all other specs)
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Ahh! That makes sense now. Thanks.
mez

Post by mez »

Great post. I concur with your VW dealership salesperson observation; many seem to be absolutely clueless about the product. I suspect VW sacrificed the staff training and preparation, as with the software readiness, in order to just get product out there come hell or high water.

>>plenty of rapid chargers around locally.
Swoon. Where?? (apart from Tesco freebies)
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Greater Manchester. All of the Morrison’s car parks around here seem to have 50kw Genie chargers. Also the BP forecourts are having them installed.
Thinking about it now, should I have called them ‘fast’ rather than ‘rapid’? I admit I haven’t paid much attention to the intricacies of charging terminology until now. No need. I’ll have to brush up!
Deleted User 192

43kW AC = rapid (although the ID.3 will only AC charge to a maximum of 11kW)
50kW DC (or higher) = rapid
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Thanks for that :) 50kw CCS, so rapid it is then.

Whilst I’m here, could anyone tell me if I need to go back to the retailer I purchased the car from to get the 2.1 software update, or could I use a VW dealer closer to home?
Deleted User 192

Bigeyedbean wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18 pm Thanks for that :) 50kw CCS, so rapid it is then.

Whilst I’m here, could anyone tell me if I need to go back to the retailer I purchased the car from to get the 2.1 software update, or could I use a VW dealer closer to home?

Should be able to go to any dealer - whichever one you do will be paid by VW to do the work anyway.
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Thanks scott28tt.
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Car is now booked in relatively locally for 2.1 update. I have to wait until 6th April because I will need a courtesy car. Not a big problem though as my car is running fine on the 0783 software so far. I watched Chris from Battery Life on YouTube streaming his 2.1 update. Other than bug fixes and OTA there doesn’t seem to be anything new as a result. He seems to think that this update just puts the software where it should have been on launch. At least we shouldn’t need to return cars to the workshop for software updates for here on in, so that’s a plus!
Deleted User 192

I think it's been widely discussed that 2.1 is what we should have started with on the car.

There's still a lot of other things they could do though - I can't believe it's still 1 car paired with 1 account (even if you have multiple instances of the We Connect ID app), no multiple profile option with personalisations, and no updates to the We Connect ID app to make it anything like useful.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

The semantic difference between 'fast' and 'rapid' chargepoints is annoying.

Home chargepoints are AC, and in this country mostly around 7kW if your supply is single phase, or up to 22kW if you have a three-phase supply. The ID.3 can charge AC at a maximum of 11kW. These are known as 'fast' chargers, perhaps to differentiate them from the charging cables that plug into a normal mains outlet, sometimes called 'granny cables' and which charge at around 2 or 2.5kW.

Similar public chargepoints are sometimes found in supermarket car parks and other locations.

Scott mentioned 43kW AC chargers in this thread, he says such a charger is classed as 'rapid'.

The public chargepoints that you might use on a long journey to put some charge in your car very quickly so you can continue your journey without too much delay are DC, and 50kW, 100kW or even more, up to 350kW. They are described as 'rapid', which in my view is a poor way to differentiate them from 'fast' chargers. The ID.3 can take a DC charge at up to 100kW.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Deleted User 192

I thought it best to use the same terms as Zap-Map, but added a note that the ID.3 would only charge at 11kW even on a 43kW AC point anyway.

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/c ... rs-speeds/
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Thanks Scott. Good link!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot