On the verge of ordering, in need of some clarifications

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

HI Everyone,

With lockdown, i've yet to see an ID3 in the flesh, let alone test drive one. I've heard they're as spacious for passengers as a Passat, so should be comparable with my current A4 Avant (except the boot space). Looking to get rid of the A4 (that the wife won't drive as it's too big) and get an ID3.

At the moment, I do about 6k miles a year in the A4, the wife does about 7k miles in her 2019 Polo GTI+. I work from home 4 days a week, the wife drives to work every day.

The plan is to do 90% of our miles in the ID3 (as there's only 1 day a week we need 2 cars and keep the Polo as a low miler for a very long time (or buy a banger for my commute and pocket the £15k or so i'd get for the Polo.

Been gleaning a lot of info from this site, but its left me with a few questions:-

1. What's the leg room really like? For comparison with the A4 and the Polo, could someone move the front drivers seat fully back on the rails and measure the gap between the back of the front seat and the front edge of the rear seat behind and let me know what it is? For the A4 and Polo, I generally am most comfortable about an inch in from the furthest setting on the rails, sitting fairly upright.

2. What's the best charging tariff? It seems that a few of the providers now have cheap times - Octopus Go seems most popular here, any advantages/disadvantages with it or any notable alternatives?

3. What's the best mainstream charger for ease of use, especially in timing charging to coincide with the cheap period of tariffs like Octopus go.

4. How much is that charger likely to cost me inc installation after the £350 grant? Mine should be an easy install to the electricity meter which is external, about 2 feet from the front end of the garage.

5. How quick are the likes of Octopus and Co in getting smart meters installed (we don't currently have a smart meter)?

6. Are there any known imminent VW price rises that ordering now rather than waiting until 12 April (when non-essential retail reopens, when I can get a test drive) will avoid.

I always planned on getting a Life Pro Performance 150kW if going the ID3 route, primarily because it has the essentials (as long as it has LED lights, electric windows, auto lights/wipers, ACC, aircon, i'm fine, and the other trims seem extortionate for the extra equipment added. The Government pulling the grant for cars in excess of £35k probably has others now thinking the same.

I definitely don't want steel wheels, and i'm not overly keen on the other choices, but i'd settle for the 18" Derry wheels if not going aftermarket or picking up some other VW wheels. Paint-wise, the icy white, Turquoise and metallic grey look fine to me, maybe even the flat grey (does it look like Nardo grey on the RS3? pictures seem to indicate that it might).

I'll probably buy outright (buy on finance to get the £1750 deposit contribution and then exercise my right to withdraw from the agreement) - Drivethedeal seems far better than the offers i've received on CARWOW. The best price for Life Pro Performance 150kW inc metallic paint and the Derry 18" wheels is £27842 inc grant and deposit contribution.

Matt
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

1. I’m 6’1” and could easily sit behind myself, with enough headroom and legroom

2. I have Go Faster from Octopus, it’s similar to Go but has options for the start time and length of the off-peak period. I have 20:30-01:30 at 5.5p

3. The car can do timed charging, so you don’t need a charger to do that. However, if you were going to use a tariff such as Agile from Octopus you would need a compatible charger that understands the dynamic rates of that tariff - OHME do one. Personally I have a Pod Point, but don’t bother with timed charging as I can just plug the car in at 20:30 and leave it to do it’s thing

4. Most chargers will cost £500-600 installed after the grant, but premium chargers such as those from Zappi and Andersen can be £850-1000 installed after the grant

5. Octopus, not very. I already had a smart meter when I got my car and charger, installed when I was with Bulb

6. Who knows...

I have a Moonstone Grey 1st Edition, but the more of them I’ve seen I do think Glacier White is the best looking.
digital

Post by digital »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm
2. What's the best charging tariff? It seems that a few of the providers now have cheap times - Octopus Go seems most popular here, any advantages/disadvantages with it or any notable alternatives?

3. What's the best mainstream charger for ease of use, especially in timing charging to coincide with the cheap period of tariffs like Octopus go.

4. How much is that charger likely to cost me inc installation after the £350 grant? Mine should be an easy install to the electricity meter which is external, about 2 feet from the front end of the garage.

I'll probably buy outright (buy on finance to get the £1750 deposit contribution and then exercise my right to withdraw from the agreement) - Drivethedeal seems far better than the offers i've received on CARWOW. The best price for Life Pro Performance 150kW inc metallic paint and the Derry 18" wheels is £27842 inc grant and deposit contribution.
2. We're on Octopus Go Faster: 20:30 - 00:30 at 5p per kWh, 13.31p for the rest of the day. If you use share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to transfer we both get a £50 credit.

3. We installed a zappi to take advantage of its flexibility, lack of a need for an earth rod and to take advantage of our 4kW solar PV installation.

4. £600 after the grant.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Thanks for the replies so far. I'd really appreciate it if someone could whip out their tape measure and measure the gap between seat back of the drivers seat and front edge of rear seat bench behind, with the front seat furthest back on its rails.

There's a dealer on the Golf GTI forum who should advise if there's any imminent price rises to dodge.

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:42 am Thanks for the replies so far. I'd really appreciate it if someone could whip out their tape measure and measure the gap between seat back of the drivers seat and front edge of rear seat bench behind, with the front seat furthest back on its rails.

There's a dealer on the Golf GTI forum who should advise if there's any imminent price rises to dodge.
The front seats on the ID.3 slide a very long way back...

It is one of the features of the car that it has plenty of legroom, as a result of the lack of engine bay and the wheels right at the corners of the vehicle. The cabin is at least as big as my Passat's, bigger than an Audi A4 and much bigger than a Polo.

For the record: with the front seat at its furthest-back position, the gap between the front edge of the rear seat and the back of the front seat is 19cm with the ruler held horizontal. At the same position the measurement between the front edge of the front seat and the front of the footwell is 74cm. With the front seat in a more reasonable position, the rear kneeroom is 25cm.

Of course the above figures don't really give a true indication of kneeroom, since they don't take into account the length of the seat squab, which probably varies car to car. So: from the backrest of the rear seat to the back of the front seat, with the front seat at its rearmost position, measures 68cm. Add 6cm for the front seat in a more 'normal' position.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Thanks Heidi!

Very useful stuff - those measurements sound very spacious , I'll have to wait 18 days for a test drive unless I order blind, but I really shouldn't not having driven an EV before.

I was offered a Silver ID3 Life Pro Performance with Derry wheels for end of April on Drive the deal. Without having seen the colours in the flesh, I'm leaning towards ice white or Turquoise as colour preference, although I do like a Silver car. A factory fresh order will be +4 weeks apparently.

BrezzoK

Post by BrezzoK »

I picked up a pre-reg (Dec 20) pro perfomance business yesterday with 10 miles on the clock, for £28,500 cash (£28k with my 03 ford fiesta Part exhange). Some good pre-reg deals at the moment.

I'd agree with other posters, there is no issue about legroom in the back, it's great.
Dec 2020 Pro Performance Business - White
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 am Thanks Heidi!

Very useful stuff - those measurements sound very spacious , I'll have to wait 18 days for a test drive unless I order blind, but I really shouldn't not having driven an EV before.

I was offered a Silver ID3 Life Pro Performance with Derry wheels for end of April on Drive the deal. Without having seen the colours in the flesh, I'm leaning towards ice white or Turquoise as colour preference, although I do like a Silver car. A factory fresh order will be +4 weeks apparently.
I have the Life Pro in the Makena Turquoise and 19" Andoya which I got through Carwow for £27k.
I'm 6'3" and have no issues with anyone sat behind me. They are extremely spacious.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Kaygee wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 am Thanks Heidi!

I have the Life Pro in the Makena Turquoise and 19" Andoya which I got through Carwow for £27k.
I'm 6'3" and have no issues with anyone sat behind me. They are extremely spacious.
Thanks for that. I tried Carwow and the cheapest price was £1200 North of Drivethedeal's price.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm almost there in ordering, and then I read another annoying fault and second guess myself.

I have provisionally reserved an incoming Ice White Life Pro Performance with East Derry wheels at Cheltenham VW, £140 more than the drive the deal price. They have my debit card to take deposit if I authorise it tomorrow (need to confirm with the wife that she's happy with it).

Jono

Post by Jono »

They look really nice in white
rambler coast

Post by rambler coast »

If it helps my dealer told me VW are increasing the price of all cars by on average £1000 at the end of March….don’t know if just sales patter but that’s what he told me.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I'd made enquiries with Drivethedeal and they were sending me messages today saying that i'd have to order today or tomorrow to beat an imminent price rise and a last flurry of orders for said price rise.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's official, I placed an order for a Glacier White Pro Performance 150kW with East Derry wheels. Thought i'd try the dealership I bought my last 2 VWs from (affiliated with Drivethedeal). Told them about the Cheltenham deal to see if they could get to the DTD price and to ask if they had any group stock they could get a hold of any quicker (Cheltenham quoting a month - car building this week or just built).

The salesperson is keen to do a deal but after talking to his boss, tells me the price I have from Cheltenham (£27986) is impossible, it loses money. His best offer is £29166 and that wipes out their whole margin, but they're pushing towards an end of month target. I said I was going to go with Cheltenham and he asks for 5 mins to speak to his boss after checking out the Cheltenham price on Autotrader's website.

He comes back and says that Cheltenham's price includes the £1750 deposit contribution (yes, I already told him that!) and their price doesn't so it's effectively £27416 with the deposit contribution accounted for. Score! £426 less than the DTD price, £580 less than the Cheltenham price. That'll pay for my charger.

So, £1000 deposit down and the car's sitting in Emden, waiting to cadge a lift to Grimsby - they expect to be able to supply it before the end of April.

Charger wise, it looks like i'll be going for an Ohme, and moving to Octopus Energy to get their Go tariff and a smart meter,