Got an ID.3 for the week; a few questions!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

peterg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 pm is there a definitive guide out there on fast free charging options on the road as the Internet isn't that clear?

This is a decent guide: https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/v ... ing-guide/

Not sure there's much in terms of "fast and free" - after reading the guide above I expect you meant "rapid and free" ;)

Don't expect free rapids all over the place, unless you live in Scotland where their government seem to have that sussed...

CornwallCoastie

Post by CornwallCoastie »

Well it’s gone back now and I’ll miss it.
That effortless power with no fuss and lovely RWD is just brilliant, it’s nice and roomy, I like the very subtle look, I like most of the tech.
Downsides were the poor quality dash and steering wheel buttons, making alloys an extra on an expensive car, no rear speakers unless you go top spec, the infuriating steering “assistance” (sounds like 2.1 helps it but doesn’t remove it) and while the chassis balance is great, it is a very heavy car.
I also now know that my slightly optimistic assumption it would make it to London (245 miles) on a charge is wrong and my single experience of charging at a free Tesco Pod Point was a bit painful; it added 20 miles range in over an hour! However it was only supplied with a type 2 plug so clearly if we got one, we’d charge at home. However that’s just a general thing for anything fully electric and could all be overcome. The Tour is just too heavy though (140kgs more) and has no middle rear seat.
It would be a first time leasing; we’ve always bought outright but I’m wary of potentially severe depreciation as technology moves on; there was a 70 plate on the dealer forecourt for under £20k; ouch!
But that handling, power, stealthy looks, lack of fuss and more really did grab me.
There’s no hurry and lease prices seem almost random; I’ve seen Max spec going for way less than Family from the same firm for example.
I’d quite like to see how the Ioniq 5 is priced and received as it looks pretty attractive but it’s not out for a while. However I think we’ll probably get an ID3; I just wonder if hanging on a bit might help as I’m seeing a lot of software issues pop up? Great cars overall though.
Amarcord

Post by Amarcord »

CornwallCoastie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 am Thank you; so probably not an off roader (our campervan is actually 4motion on semi off road tyres so it might require that!) and slight headaches with road trip charging. I used a Tesco one while doing a click n collect yesterday; the app wouldn’t connect, it kept stopping and I think I added a paltry 15 miles range in over an hour (it’s free but only 7kw).
I like fairly compact cars so I’d rather have the 3 over a 4.
I’m still a big smitten though!
My ID3 Family is being delivered next week in px for my 3 yr old (but well-loved) Zoe. My other vehicle, like you, is a 4Motion Camper (T5). Like you I need traction in awkward conditions (8 winter weeks a year in Alps). I concluded, after much soul (& budget) searching, that this combination covered me for everything. I'll always take the id3 for a journey anywhere in England/Wales if possible but, if off-road, snow/ice, long range on continent (or other campervan usage), switch to the 4Motion T5, winter tyres as appropriate.

I can't see a realistic very long range EV VW camper being on the market for the next 5 years (& I've researched the future of VW Transporters as thoroughly as possible). So, deciding to run the existing T5 until 2030, or into the ground, helped justify shelling out for the ID3. The ID3 will help to keep the milieage on the T5 low, lengthening it's life. My shorter range, slower charging, Zoe, was not just cutting it for those medium to longer range journeys in England & Wales.
Moonstone Family Pro Perf with transport hitch
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I can't see a realistic very long range EV VW camper being on the market for the next 5 years
That's the issue I have as well. What large BEV can replace the range, etc of a large family vehicle with seven seats now?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104