Got an ID.3 for the week; a few questions!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
CornwallCoastie

Post by CornwallCoastie »

Hi All,
We have an ID.3 Life for a week while our VW California Ocean (campervan) has a few warranty jobs done.
I really like the way it drives; it’s nice inside and quick but subtle. Just how I like cars!
However it would replace a little Suzuki Ignis Hybrid 4wd; this gets amazing mpg mostly by being very light which an ID.3 isn’t and as a Coastguard I do have to occasionally take it off the beaten track; think wet fields and bumpy tracks rather than extreme off roading. Could an ID.3 cope?

Options list are tricky as you can rarely try out items costing a lot; is the sunroof worth having? The Style trim (plus the optional 18” alloys) would probably be ideal but I’m not sure if it’s available any more? Which means Family spec but it’s a lot more (we’d lease through our business).

And a general newbie question; how painful is charging out on the road? Once the world opens up again we’ll probably have the occasional London (from Cornwall) trip; about 240 miles. Once there we can charge overnight at a friends house but I don’t think we’d quite make it in one go? The A303 seems to have a few quick chargers.

Anyway thanks in advance; I really do like them!

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Hi,
I took my ID.3 (Family) off the side of the road onto a flat grassed area I would normally drive my Wife's Golf onto with no issues and it quite quickly decided it would like to dig itself a hole rather than move. I had to be very careful with the throttle to get it off again. (I was rather disappointed actually, especially as I got rid of a 4 motion Tiguan for it) I presume it's the RWD coupled with Boat loads of instant torque that causes the spin. There isn't a great deal of clearance and I would presume a rock going into the floor would bring things to a fairly quick conclusion.

There is a Panoramic roof but to my knowledge none have an actual opening sunroof. I had a panoramic opening roof on my Tiguan (previously had an EOS and other convertibles and wanted the option to open something) I think I used it about 5 times in 4 years and found it terribly noisy.. and then to add insult to injury just as I was trading it in the sunroof drains blocked when we had snow and flooded the drivers footwell. (might be biased against Sunroofs now)
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Drivers in snowy climes such as Norway are reporting that the traction control is very good, but this is a 2WD car, and quite heavy. The slightly larger ID.4 is rumoured to be coming in a 4WD variant before too long. That one would likely be ideal for you.

Charging on the road can be a problem, it pays to plan your journey. Phone apps like Zap Map are your friends here. Motorway Service Stations have had Ecotricity chargepoints for a decade, and these have given the industry a bad name. They are unreliable - and there's generally only one at each Services, so if it's in use, or out of order, you're stuffed. The situation is getting rapidly better, though - all the old ones are being swapped out for newer, reliable units thanks to a collaboration between Ecotricity and Gridserve. And that will be followed by an expansion to 6-12 units at each location.

The situation away from the motorway network is different. There's a wide variety of chargepoints, you'll want the rapid DC units, 50kW upwards. These are springing up all over the place (Zap Map again), there are enough to keep you juiced on pretty much any journey in the UK, and it's even better in Europe.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
CornwallCoastie

Thank you; so probably not an off roader (our campervan is actually 4motion on semi off road tyres so it might require that!) and slight headaches with road trip charging. I used a Tesco one while doing a click n collect yesterday; the app wouldn’t connect, it kept stopping and I think I added a paltry 15 miles range in over an hour (it’s free but only 7kw).
I like fairly compact cars so I’d rather have the 3 over a 4.
I’m still a big smitten though!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

CornwallCoastie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 am I used a Tesco one while doing a click n collect yesterday; the app wouldn’t connect, it kept stopping and I think I added a paltry 15 miles range in over an hour (it’s free but only 7kw).

The Pod Point app? You can also use their website on your phone to "claim" the charge if their app struggles.
CornwallCoastie

scott28tt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 am
CornwallCoastie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 am I used a Tesco one while doing a click n collect yesterday; the app wouldn’t connect, it kept stopping and I think I added a paltry 15 miles range in over an hour (it’s free but only 7kw).

The Pod Point app? You can also use their website on your phone to "claim" the charge if their app struggles.
Yep! It was free so can’t complain about costs!
Deleted User 192

CornwallCoastie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:19 am Yep! It was free so can’t complain about costs!

I know, it's a nationwide scheme - I'm never at mine long enough to bother getting the cable out, but I did use it once to give public charging a first go :)
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

I’ve done 1500 miles now and only charged 3 times at home. The rest has been at my local Tesco. You can stay 3 hours which usually puts on anything between 75 and 90 miles. I live quite close so I don’t need to hang around the shop for 3 hours btw!
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
peterg

Post by peterg »

So waiting for a delivery date from the lease company for ID3 Life and have been avidly reading the posts about charging, Octopus, public chargers etc. It does that this is the most confusing area of EV ownership. Think we have the home charger sorted with PodPoint although no date for installation yet, changing to Octopus energy supplier....but what is it with this public charging shenanigans ? Some free, some charging, some contactless, some needing an app and pre registration...…… is there a definitive guide out there on fast free charging options on the road as the Internet isn't that clear?
CornwallCoastie

Sadly our Tesco is seven miles away and being in coastal Cornwall, the charging options are slightly limited.
Can the auto steering systems be turned off? I know it’s a Lane departure thing but I use the whole width of our rural roads and definitely don’t need the car to try and steer for me; it’s a bit weird!
I’m hoping the updated software improves as it’s definitely a bit clunky and Apple CarPlay is a must (on its way apparently) and whoever signed off the super plasticky steering wheel and dash buttons needs a stern talking to but overall I definitely like it.
It goes back tomorrow; realistically we don’t “need” one yet as we have no meetings planned (obviously) and run our business from home. From a purely number’s point of view its shifting from a fully paid for private car to a reasonably large monthly lease payment so it has to make sense above simply “because we want one.”
Is there any sense of urgency in ordering? Having managed to miss out on the government grant (oops) I’m slightly wondering if they might ease prices to dip under the £35k mark making leasing cheaper?
Life is too basic so Style or Family would suit. Is there a spec level to get a better stereo? Not worried about the full bells and whistles of the Max version. I’d definitely get the basic alloys though. Steels on a fairly futuristic car just seems rather tight of VW; similar on our California. High spec camper van but £900 for a steering wheel with buttons on it!! And no auto lights of wipers. Meh.
Deleted User 192

peterg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 pm is there a definitive guide out there on fast free charging options on the road as the Internet isn't that clear?

This is a decent guide: https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/v ... ing-guide/

Not sure there's much in terms of "fast and free" - after reading the guide above I expect you meant "rapid and free" ;)

Don't expect free rapids all over the place, unless you live in Scotland where their government seem to have that sussed...
CornwallCoastie

Well it’s gone back now and I’ll miss it.
That effortless power with no fuss and lovely RWD is just brilliant, it’s nice and roomy, I like the very subtle look, I like most of the tech.
Downsides were the poor quality dash and steering wheel buttons, making alloys an extra on an expensive car, no rear speakers unless you go top spec, the infuriating steering “assistance” (sounds like 2.1 helps it but doesn’t remove it) and while the chassis balance is great, it is a very heavy car.
I also now know that my slightly optimistic assumption it would make it to London (245 miles) on a charge is wrong and my single experience of charging at a free Tesco Pod Point was a bit painful; it added 20 miles range in over an hour! However it was only supplied with a type 2 plug so clearly if we got one, we’d charge at home. However that’s just a general thing for anything fully electric and could all be overcome. The Tour is just too heavy though (140kgs more) and has no middle rear seat.
It would be a first time leasing; we’ve always bought outright but I’m wary of potentially severe depreciation as technology moves on; there was a 70 plate on the dealer forecourt for under £20k; ouch!
But that handling, power, stealthy looks, lack of fuss and more really did grab me.
There’s no hurry and lease prices seem almost random; I’ve seen Max spec going for way less than Family from the same firm for example.
I’d quite like to see how the Ioniq 5 is priced and received as it looks pretty attractive but it’s not out for a while. However I think we’ll probably get an ID3; I just wonder if hanging on a bit might help as I’m seeing a lot of software issues pop up? Great cars overall though.
Amarcord

Post by Amarcord »

CornwallCoastie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 am Thank you; so probably not an off roader (our campervan is actually 4motion on semi off road tyres so it might require that!) and slight headaches with road trip charging. I used a Tesco one while doing a click n collect yesterday; the app wouldn’t connect, it kept stopping and I think I added a paltry 15 miles range in over an hour (it’s free but only 7kw).
I like fairly compact cars so I’d rather have the 3 over a 4.
I’m still a big smitten though!
My ID3 Family is being delivered next week in px for my 3 yr old (but well-loved) Zoe. My other vehicle, like you, is a 4Motion Camper (T5). Like you I need traction in awkward conditions (8 winter weeks a year in Alps). I concluded, after much soul (& budget) searching, that this combination covered me for everything. I'll always take the id3 for a journey anywhere in England/Wales if possible but, if off-road, snow/ice, long range on continent (or other campervan usage), switch to the 4Motion T5, winter tyres as appropriate.

I can't see a realistic very long range EV VW camper being on the market for the next 5 years (& I've researched the future of VW Transporters as thoroughly as possible). So, deciding to run the existing T5 until 2030, or into the ground, helped justify shelling out for the ID3. The ID3 will help to keep the milieage on the T5 low, lengthening it's life. My shorter range, slower charging, Zoe, was not just cutting it for those medium to longer range journeys in England & Wales.
Moonstone Family Pro Perf with transport hitch
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I can't see a realistic very long range EV VW camper being on the market for the next 5 years
That's the issue I have as well. What large BEV can replace the range, etc of a large family vehicle with seven seats now?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104