Hello from an excited new member

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
finchi10

Post by finchi10 »

Am waiting for the call to pick up my new id3 - bit of a delay as they're having to update the software to the latest version which seems to be problematic.
Have ordered the Tour edition with the larger battery (range 340) as I needed something that could comfortably get me from Manchester to South London without having to panic. Will plough through all the forums to pick up hints and tips where I can but let me know if there's anything I really should be aware of from day one or any golden tips you might have.

Thanks.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Welcome to the Forum and I hope your SW update goes smoothly. There are endless tips out there above and beyond the basic differences between an ICE and an EV.
The most significant for me is that cabin heating with an ICE utilises the heat produced by the engine. If you want a hot cabin in an EV it has to come out of your battery capacity and range.
The other is speed. Travelling in the upper 70s requires around twice the energy of travelling in the mid to upper 50s. An ICE is the same but fuel is everywhere and it seems easy come easy go. EV journeys need more thought and planning.
Its a great drive. Enjoy.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

If you’re on Facebook, and join the UK ID.3 group, there’s an excellent Tips & Tricks document that is worth a read...
peterg

Post by peterg »

And a new car arrived today........ full presentation form VW finance.....and then they realised they had left the charging lead.....good start. Anyway, love the car and like everyone going serious anorak about charging costs etc..... all the free charging points few and far between and only home charger speed as far as I can see. And a key question for experienced home chargers.....if you have solar panels does it mean free charging during daylight hours just as much as if you have signed up to Octopus Go for the precious 5 p an kWh during the night. Any advice appreciated. Peter
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Yes, There are set ups that allow the use of excess Solar to be diverted to the car, it depends on what you are using for charging currently?
peterg

Post by peterg »

Will be a standard home charger....when it turns up,tomorrow. And just going for the Octopus Go tariff that gives you the 4 hours at 5 p per hour for a four hour nighttime charge. Hence thinking that the principle of using domestic appliances when the panels are soaking up daylight should apply to charging an EV. Or so you would think? Also ....what is this 2.1 business that I keep seeing on the forum ? !
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

If by a home charger you mean a 3-pin plug in charger (granny charger), then to take advantage of your solar generation you need to have it only come on when you are generating solar energy. I do this with current clamps on my solar and household electricity circuits, and a wireless socket which only switches the charger on when there is excess solar electricity being generated.

If you want to charge at a faster rate than if you search the forum you will see people recommending wall chargers and some of those will also use excess solar electricity.

Hopefully as you have only just got your ID.3 you don't have to worry about 2.1. Basically, if on the infotainment system you go to Settings / System Information - you should see software version 0792 this is 2.1, it is version of the software which VW consider to be market ready, only lower number means the car has incomplete software and your vehicle will need to be recalled to have 2.1 installed, which should take 2 days but for some people has been a longer / more complicated process.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire