New ID3 today - using "B" drive mode?

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's always better to preserve momentum and energy than be wasting and recovering some of it via regen. Not surprising that D is better than B for most.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

IO7529 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 am Hi new user here, I have been using both D and B modes but have found that using D achieves a better m/kWh. I believe that sticking with B all of the time may not be the most efficient as some of the braking effect of regen is lost as heat as opposed to pure energy saved in the battery, I currently get around the 4.6-4.7 m/kWh since having the car in April, how does this stack up with other users?
WOW.. What kind of roads/journeys. I am 1000 miles in and have a LT avg of 2.9m/kWh and the best I have managed to achieve on a journey is 3.6m/kWh
IO7529

Post by IO7529 »

Oh, well mine is a general mix of twisty country roads, town and motorway. To be fair I did train to become a driving examiner and learnt how to apply eco-safe driving styles and drive mainly for economy having said that I don't drive slowly just very carefully with forward planning and if possible without stopping which can make a massive difference even just keeping the car barely rolling. I hope that VW add battery pre- conditioning with an update as I have found increased consumption when out in the cold whilst the battery is warming up!
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I'm approaching 2000 miles overall. Over the last 551 miles (since my car had its 2.1 software update) I have averaged 3.9m/kWh, mostly short journeys 8-10 miles, occasional longer trips ~80 miles including motorway stretches. I use D mode all the time now.

I'm pretty pleased with that, quite a lot of it has been in cold weather, so I'm expecting over 4m/kWh in the summer months. If long term I can average about 4 I'll be very happy.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Whizzington

Post by Whizzington »

Good to hear how different people have experienced the two modes. A few people have mentioned D with ACC on. I tend only to use ACC on motorways / dual carriageways. But even with ACC off it does seem to notice cars in front and slow down quicker as a result? Ideally I'd like to be in D mode, rolling up to the red light and the car to bring me to a near stop behind a car in front. I've not been brave enough to see what happens if I don't break myself!
JohnDavid

Post by JohnDavid »

If my maths is right (I'm in km and the car shows 11.1 kWh/100km) I make that 5.6 miles/kWh Mostly local roads limited to 80km/h and some dual carriageway at 110km/h in B mode. 1100km total since new. Very happy, with that.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

JohnDavid wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:44 pm If my maths is right (I'm in km and the car shows 11.1 kWh/100km) I make that 5.6 miles/kWh Mostly local roads limited to 80km/h and some dual carriageway at 110km/h in B mode. 1100km total since new. Very happy, with that.
That maths looks right to me...

100km = 62 miles

62miles/11.1kWh = 5.6 miles/kWh.

That's very good efficiency there when people are struggling to hit 3kWh at times.

Where are you from and what ambient temps are you seeing? How long is your average journey?

Presuming you're in Eire or mainland Europe with the use of kms rather than miles.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

JohnDavid wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:44 pm If my maths is right (I'm in km and the car shows 11.1 kWh/100km) I make that 5.6 miles/kWh Mostly local roads limited to 80km/h and some dual carriageway at 110km/h in B mode. 1100km total since new. Very happy, with that.
That's astonishing. At 5.6 miles/kWh that makes yours by some margin the most efficient EV on the road! Well done!

This table: https://ev-database.org/compare/efficie ... g:number=9 shows the most efficient car currently available is a version of the Tesla model 3 at 14.7kWh/100km. The Lightyear One, slated for release later this year, is claimed to manage 10.4kWh/100km but that's a rather different vehicle. The ID.3 Pro in comparison is rated at 16.6kWh/100km.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

These numbers are questionable. WLTP would suggest 4.4 m/kWh so to be getting greater than that is an incredible result unless the conditions are indeed optimum.
JohnDavid

Post by JohnDavid »

Just to be clear. The weather is ideal at the moment so no heating or a/c. Also, being a new car I'm still driving very gently. Also, of course, the software is still learning my driving style. Did 100+ kilomètres yesterday and the distance left only reduced by 80 so something has not settled down.