New ID3 today - using "B" drive mode?

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Whizzington

Post by Whizzington »

Hi all,

New owner (Life Pro delivered this morning).

Booked in for the 2.0 update at the dealer on Monday (long annoying story but delivered without).

Trying to read the manual / this forum to find out anything important as I'm just pressing buttons to try and learn all the features at the moment.

Question: Do people prefer the high regen "B" mode? I've not tried it out yet. Shame it doesn't have paddles for adjustable regen strength. Very nippy though and enjoying it so far. Looking forward to CarPlay but assume I'll get that with the update next week.

Cheers

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

It’s a personal preference, you have greater control as the driver with B but it will be less efficient if you can’t control your right foot to keep the car from having to slow too much then have to accelerate back up to speed.

I keep it in D unless I know before the car that I’m going to need to slow, such as over speed bumps or coming up to traffic lights.
Whizzington

Post by Whizzington »

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Funnily enough, despite watching reviews of the ID3 where the reviewers complained about not enough regen for one pedal driving, I much prefer to keep it in D as well.

I think the more natural coasting of the car means that you don't have to keep accelerating up to speed again. I imagine it comes from driving cars that have a coast function on them (my present car shuts off the engine completely when I take my foot off the pedal.)
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Quick question about this subject...

If you are in D mode and not B mode and brake moderately, are you using your brakes or does the regen take over braking duties below a certain amount of braking force required, but otherwise (foot off throttle) does not instigate regen.

The brakes seemed a little weak on my test drive under moderate braking which made me think that regen may have been occurring in lieu of actual braking.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:28 pm If you are in D mode and not B mode and brake moderately, are you using your brakes or does the regen take over braking duties below a certain amount of braking force required, but otherwise (foot off throttle) does not instigate regen.

I am lead to believe that the braking force is regen-based unless the green bar on the screen behind the wheel has already filled - if you continue to push the pedal down once that bar is fully green the brakes are being used, but if that bar is not full then it’s regen only.
Whizzington

Post by Whizzington »

Which would give more reason to stay in "D" mode, if the "brakes" aren't always using the brake pads etc.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Whizzington wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:50 pm Which would give more reason to stay in "D" mode, if the "brakes" aren't always using the brake pads etc.
Not sure what you mean with that last part!
Foot braking initially is regen and then mechanical braking if more brake force is needed.
Many prefere driving in D and the coasting affect that comes with it. With anticipation of traffic and route you can get a very efficient performance in D.
However, I have to date not been able to better the efficiency I get driving in B as I guess my anticipation isn't as good as I think it is.
I prefer the D drive mode and trade off some efficiency.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I use mostly B, because I'm fond of one pedal driving from test drive with first e-up.
I'd even like to get more regen until stop, as it is on 2. gen Leaf.
On the highway I use also B with ACC. Certainly not more efficient, but breaks better (I think), when ACC detects forthcoming car.
Another purpose is maybe laziness to change, when leaving city. :)
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Lauriec

Post by Lauriec »

Anyone switching from an automatic to the ID3 would probably find the B mode easier to assimilate as it gives the same effect as engine retardation.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I explained for myself: D - Diesel, B - Benzin. :)
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I used to be a B driver but now I’m almost exclusively a D driver. Two reasons:
  1. applying the brake pedal gives regen first so the energy recovery should be the same as in B
  2. I like the automatic partial ACC feature where regen braking is (usually) applied when coasting and approaching bends, junctions, speed limits or slow vehicles. It’s not full ACC so doesn’t apply any acceleration, just braking.
Hobbibear

Post by Hobbibear »

Had my First Edition since late September. I have now covered 3858 miles it total, yesterday I got this information to share.

I traveled on A & B roads in DB, my start mileage was 3757 end mileage 3858 total distance 101

When starting the car showed 223 on ending my trip it showed 150, so used 73 miles.

Still on software as delivered. In my ownership I have only had the occasional warning show on the dash. Software update booked for next week.

I love my ID-3 thank you WW and my dealer.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hobbibear wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am I love my ID-3 thank you WW and my dealer.
Glad to hear you're pleased with your car, its manufacturer and the dealer too.

I charged my car to 100% the other day, for the first time ever (always charged to 80% previously) preparatory to a journey of 39 miles and back, mostly motorway - 78 miles. The GOM at the start said 270 miles, which I've never seen before - and 10 miles more than the car's WLTP rated range!

When I got home the GOM was reading about 150 miles, but I didn't fret because I thought the 270 miles was unrealistic. I did notice that the app on my phone was reporting 116 miles of range. The following day I did a short journey - half a mile there, half a mile back - and now the app on the phone and the car itself are both reporting 184 miles range and 67% charge. If 67% charge is 184 miles, then 100% charge would give 274 miles.

What conclusion do I draw from this? The GOM is sometimes way out. Also, probably, I'm getting very good mileage out of my car. Hooray!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Hobbibear

Post by Hobbibear »

I believe the rang that shows is calculated on you usage over time. At one stage I turned off the main screen so just the clock was showing and the range increased by 12 miles after a short time. This confirmed in my mind that the car works out how you drive and the conditions like rain etc
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hobbibear wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 am I believe the rang that shows is calculated on you usage over time. At one stage I turned off the main screen so just the clock was showing and the range increased by 12 miles after a short time. This confirmed in my mind that the car works out how you drive and the conditions like rain etc
Most VAG cars with a trip computer do this. My wife has a lead foot and if I use her car for a 20 mile journey, quite often the range when I come back is around the same, despite having done 20 miles.

The car starts with a range based on fuel (charge left, driving style that has come before and environmental conditions (to a lesser extent on ICE cars). The car is making predictions on the rate at which it will use fuel and adjusts when it gets more data.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

There is a good post on you tube where they drive the car In D mode and the ACC slows the car down nicely.
I think it’s a case for all of us to get used to a new style of driving
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
I’ve only had my car a couple of days and have found driving in D mode with ACC on works well most of the time but sometimes I get close to the junction/roundabout and feel I’m not slowing quick enough so I have quickly flipped in to B mode to slow down quicker and don’t need to use the break pedal
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Warminster id wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:50 pm Hi
I’ve only had my car a couple of days and have found driving in D mode with ACC on works well most of the time but sometimes I get close to the junction/roundabout and feel I’m not slowing quick enough so I have quickly flipped in to B mode to slow down quicker and don’t need to use the break pedal
But if you press the brake pedal you'll get the regen and the desired result of slowing down, fiddling with the controls when approaching a roundabout seems rather dangerous. People's obsession with range is going to lead to accidents.
IO7529

Post by IO7529 »

Hi new user here, I have been using both D and B modes but have found that using D achieves a better m/kWh. I believe that sticking with B all of the time may not be the most efficient as some of the braking effect of regen is lost as heat as opposed to pure energy saved in the battery, I currently get around the 4.6-4.7 m/kWh since having the car in April, how does this stack up with other users?