Picked up my car today

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi all
As per my introduction post I now have finally picked up my car.
Great first drive will need to get used to some of the features like ACC and activating the blowers shame not on the voice control.
So just a little background about me and my decision to go EV.
I live in Warminster and travel to amesbury for work round trip 45 miles a day.
I’ve been looking at the EV option for a while Kia’s etc but then saw the ID3 and started looking into the cost comparison and it was about the same for me.
What really swung the final decision was the fact that Warminster has a 50kw charger a short walk from me. I don’t have the access to have a home charger
This is a BP Pulse charger so 7.85 membership and free charging GREAT! My only problem is that it went out of service this week so really hoping they fix it soon.
I believe that if the government want everyone to go electric then they have to appeal to people like me who can’t home charge. Even if it’s installing slow chargers along side rapid ones so we can leave the car overnight or while at work and make them a similar price to home wall box chargers
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Warminster id wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 pm I believe that if the government want everyone to go electric then they have to appeal to people like me who can’t home charge. Even if it’s installing slow chargers along side rapid ones so we can leave the car overnight or while at work and make them a similar price to home wall box chargers

I believe that the government should contribute an amount equivalent of the home charge point grant level to give the 40% of car owners who do not have off street parking access to “fast” AC chargers (ie. the same 7kW as a typical home point)

But, that’s all.

No endless subsidies, no bottomless pit of grants for councils, not a penny more of the taxes I pay.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm
Warminster id wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 pm I believe that if the government want everyone to go electric then they have to appeal to people like me who can’t home charge. Even if it’s installing slow chargers along side rapid ones so we can leave the car overnight or while at work and make them a similar price to home wall box chargers

I believe that the government should contribute an amount equivalent of the home charge point grant level to give the 40% of car owners who do not have off street parking access to “fast” AC chargers (ie. the same 7kW as a typical home point)

But, that’s all.

No endless subsidies, no bottomless pit of grants for councils, not a penny more of the taxes I pay.
The taxes you pay? There are millions of tax payers who don't have an EV who have helped subsidise your (and my) choice of going EV.

To encourage more people into EVs rather than putting a gun to their head, the away from home charging infrastructure needs to get better, much better. The government needs to get moving on that score. As we all know, charging at a rapid charger is priced to compete with the cost of fuelling a diesel. Once the Government starts taxing the use of your EV, running an EV is going to be much more expensive than running an ICE if you've got no access to home charging - and that is fundamentally wrong.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

And if they buy an EV now they will get exactly the same subsidy on their car as I got on mine.

What the government should do is scrap HS2, now that really is a waste of everyone’s taxes for the benefit of the limited number of people who really need to get to London X minutes quicker than they already can.

Plus any investment in the third runway at Heathrow.

The demand and need for those projects has completely changed now.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 am And if they buy an EV now they will get exactly the same subsidy on their car as I got on mine.

What the government should do is scrap HS2, now that really is a waste of everyone’s taxes for the benefit of the limited number of people who really need to get to London X minutes quicker than they already can.

Plus any investment in the third runway at Heathrow.

The demand and need for those projects has completely changed now.
...and if they don't buy an EV because it doesn't suit their circumstances (can't charge at home being the main one), they've still subsidised yours. I'm guessing by how long you've been posting here, you'll have got the £3k subsidy, with no upper limit for eligibility and possibly more than the current £350 towards your charger. The subsidy for the car is now (as of 18th March) £2500 with a ceiling of £35k RRP, so you've benefitted more than anyone about to buy an EV.

This country needs a decent charging infrastructure to put those without off-street parking on a level playing field with those who haven't. I've got off street parking and a charger awaiting my incoming ID3, but I'd think it a bit pig-headed to adopt an "I'm alright Jack".mentality towards those who will rely on external charging.and pay handsomely for it.

The government needs to persuade car drivers into EVs, not batter them into submission and make them pay through the nose for the privilege.

Deleted User 192

There was no part of any of my comments where I said that charging infrastructure was not required for the 40% of car owners who do not have off-street parking - those who need it should contribute to it though, not all of us.

I am grateful for the car subsidy and charge point subsidy that I received, I still paid £35k for my car and £600 for my home point.

I see no reason why I should pay to subsidise others by a greater amount than the subsidies I have received.

Too many people expect others to solve their problem for them.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 am There was no part of any of my comments where I said that charging infrastructure was not required for the 40% of car owners who do not have off-street parking - those who need it should contribute to it though, not all of us.

I am grateful for the car subsidy and charge point subsidy that I received, I still paid £35k for my car and £600 for my home point.

I see no reason why I should pay to subsidise others by a greater amount than the subsidies I have received.

Too many people expect others to solve their problem for them.
That comes across as incredibly selfish. You think you won't need a decent charging network very often so don't expect the public purse (to which all tax payers contribute) to pay for it.

Is the NHS a waste of your tax if you haven't needed to see the GP surgery or Hospital in the last year?

By the current subsidy terms, you wouldn't get a penny towards your car, but you're happy to grab that slice of tax payers money as long as no-one gets a bigger slice than you did.

Think of the bigger picture - the nation needs an accessible and affordable charging infrastructure for mass EV uptake.

If the people who can least afford to be paying through the nose end up paying the most to fuel their cars, that's fundamentally unfair (let's assume that people with off street parking generally have more expensive housing, even though there's some seriously expensive terraced old houses with no off street parking).

If people are priced out of picking an EV over nursing their ICE into serious old age, come 2030, people that are inconvenienced and penalised if picking EV, they will hold off as long as possible and run their old ICE bangers into the ground - which does nothing for air pollution.

Deleted User 192

Let's agree to disagree - our opinions clearly differ.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

What about legislation rather than taxation?
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
mrbrown

Post by mrbrown »

Warminster id wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 pm
What really swung the final decision was the fact that Warminster has a 50kw charger a short walk from me. I don’t have the access to have a home charger
This is a BP Pulse charger so 7.85 membership and free charging GREAT!
Hi, whereabouts in Warminster is the charger? We're getting an ID4 soon and the only major trip will be London to in-laws in Warminster every few weeks - knowing there's a charger nearby will reduce our range anxiety :D
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

It’s in station rd car park, but out of service at mo, I have contacted the council but no date yet. There is also a genie point in Morrisons car park but chargers 35p per kw/h
If you are going via the 303 bp polar have rapid chargers and charge 15p per kw/h. If you are going that way don’t go past Stonehenge take the shrewton rd across the plain ( much nicer and less traffic)
Hope that helps, just ask if you need any more information and I will post when it’s working again
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car