Prospective ID.3 owner Buy now or later?

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Gr4ndp4 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:39 pm Hi, @Trantor, I've just acquired a new Tech from Lookers who were running a "Golden Ticket" offer equivalent to about 8% off the total price. These seem to be time-limited arrangements for stock vehicles, I found a colour I was happy with so did the deal. FYG I looked at part exchange but their offer was easily beaten by "We Buy Any Car" who I found quick and professional (it took about 30 minutes for their guy at Gateshead to survey the car, inevitably deduct a bit for small damages and propose a price). You can get an online valuation via their website valid for 4 days from which deductions will be made, make sure you are meticulous in your description of your Polo. It will give you an idea of how much you can get in part exchange/or WBAC. Your Polo will lose value with the passing of time and prices of the ID3 will not fall, cost to change will rise as you wait.
good luck in your quest to vanquish the Infernal Combustion Engine.
Cheers
Thanks Gr4ndp4 for the info. Going from a petrol to an EV is going to be a major culture change! Good to know your experience with WBAC was positive.
ID.3 Max owner. Located East Dorset, UK.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:05 pm Trantor- How's the Polo GTI+ doing? We have one of those, also about 2 years old. With an educated guess, assuming you haven't loaded up on the extras, I'd expect yours to be worth about £16k right now in part ex or going via the likes of Motorway.co.uk

Just got an ID3 Life Pro Performance in Glacier White with East Derry Alloys for £27416, about £450 less than the drivethedeal price.

Are you set for one of the higher trims? They seem incredibly overpriced for the extras being offered. For some of those trims, VW have offset the loss of the grant with a £4250 deposit contribution rather than the £1750 contribution offered on those cars that get the grant.

VW have just put their prices up by quite a bit on 1sf April (mine would've seen its RRP rise by £1050 if I hadn't ordered it 2 days earlier on 29th March), so you've got a bit of breathing space before they whack their prices up again.
Thanks Monkeyhanger for the feedback. I followed you on the Polo forum. Didn’t you have two GTI’s? Yes, my GTI+ is going fine. If it wasn’t for the risk of loosing to above average depreciation if I hang onto it, I’d not be changing. With lockdown and working from home it has only done 5900 miles so only just run in! Wife and I have just retired so thinking of getting an EV sooner rather than later. Interesting about the £4250 contribution. As regards trim I was looking at the Max as it has powered seats. The wife is only 5 foot tall so when she drives the GTI takes me 5 minutes to get my driving position back as she changes everything :lol: Have to see what our local dealer comes up with. I generally get some Carwow quotes to give me some idea of what I can get one for. Just been on the Motorway site and got an estimated £17,400 back fro the GTI+. I didn’t know about them so thanks for the tip.

As a matter of interest how have you found the ID.3 compared to the GTI+? Similar performance or noticeably slower? Anything you prefer in the ID.3?
Drivethedeal are cheaper than Carwow for most marques, certainly for VWs. If you're after some cheap deals, i'd use drivethedeal as a yardstick to what's achievable. Also, if you're after an ID3 in a hurry, do a search for new ID3s on Autotrader- there are a number of dealerships with unregistered (new) stock, some of those dealers come within a few hundred quid of drivethedeal.

Comparisons with the GTI+,,,,

Performance is very similar, with the noticeable exception of instant reaction on the ID3- no waiting for the DSG box to kick down a few gears if you push for an overtake.

From a standstill, the ID3 feels much quicker, due to the lack of tramping/wheelspin at full throttle. I'm not convinced that the ID3 is 0.6s slower to 62 as the official figures would suggest.

It drives pretty Sharp, considering it's about 500kg heavier, nice steering response etc.

The biggest difference for me is in the brakes, they've got a much longer travel on the ID3 because half of that travel is regeneration, not actually using the brakes to slow down. I was out in the Polo yesterday and the first few presses of the brakes almost had me nutting the windscreen as they're much grabbier.

Much bigger inside -Passat sized cabin in a Golf sized shell, due to a short bonnet and wheels set well into the corners. I don't like the Ryanair armrests or piano black door grab (you xan't use them without leaving lots of very noticeable fingerprints). Very small niggles.

£17400 for a 2 year old Polo GTJ+ is pretty good going, especially if you got a good deal in the first place (we paid just under £21k with white paint and 18" Brescia wheels). Used prices in general for all cars are pretty strong right now, due to a lack of stock out there.

I think you'll lose a lot more in an ID3 Max as that extra equipment comes at a hefty premium.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
M3G4D0Y1E

Post by M3G4D0Y1E »

This should read later or much later. The lead time is 4 months +
Jono

Post by Jono »

I note you mentioned you do a lot of seat fiddling. Just be aware that the ID3 power seats aren’t memory. They are good, but will still require manual manipulation
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Jono wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 am I note you mentioned you do a lot of seat fiddling. Just be aware that the ID3 power seats aren’t memory. They are good, but will still require manual manipulation
Ohhh!! What!? £40k+ and no memory on the seats!!! What are VW thinking! :x

Seriously, many thanks for that info Jono as it may have saved me some cash :P
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 am
Drivethedeal are cheaper than Carwow for most marques, certainly for VWs. If you're after some cheap deals, i'd use drivethedeal as a yardstick to what's achievable. Also, if you're after an ID3 in a hurry, do a search for new ID3s on Autotrader- there are a number of dealerships with unregistered (new) stock, some of those dealers come within a few hundred quid of drivethedeal.

Comparisons with the GTI+,,,,

Performance is very similar, with the noticeable exception of instant reaction on the ID3- no waiting for the DSG box to kick down a few gears if you push for an overtake.

From a standstill, the ID3 feels much quicker, due to the lack of tramping/wheelspin at full throttle. I'm not convinced that the ID3 is 0.6s slower to 62 as the official figures would suggest.

It drives pretty Sharp, considering it's about 500kg heavier, nice steering response etc.

The biggest difference for me is in the brakes, they've got a much longer travel on the ID3 because half of that travel is regeneration, not actually using the brakes to slow down. I was out in the Polo yesterday and the first few presses of the brakes almost had me nutting the windscreen as they're much grabbier.

Much bigger inside -Passat sized cabin in a Golf sized shell, due to a short bonnet and wheels set well into the corners. I don't like the Ryanair armrests or piano black door grab (you xan't use them without leaving lots of very noticeable fingerprints). Very small niggles.

£17400 for a 2 year old Polo GTJ+ is pretty good going, especially if you got a good deal in the first place (we paid just under £21k with white paint and 18" Brescia wheels). Used prices in general for all cars are pretty strong right now, due to a lack of stock out there.

I think you'll lose a lot more in an ID3 Max as that extra equipment comes at a hefty premium.
Thanks again for the info. Most useful. Jono may well have directed me away from the Max as, given the cost of the car, I assumed VW would have included a memory on the electric seats. Alas they don’t apparently!!

I’ve managed to arrange a test drive at our local dealer next week. That will be interesting, one way or another!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hopefully they'll give you a test drive on your own, due to COVID considerations.

If they only give you a limited amount of time (I was given 20 mins), I wouldn't waste too much time fiddling with the options, I would just get on with driving it. You might want to try "B" drive rather than D through curiosity, but it adds nothing to the driving experience, it's just banging on the regen when you lift off the throttle, like a half-attempt at one pedal driving. Leave it in D and the car will intelligently add in regen when you've got an actual reason to brake, like approaching a roundabout. If they give you a lot longer then there's more time to have a fiddle with stuff.

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

The only things I wish I had in my life pro performance which I don't have are:

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

No way I'm paying the extra money for a little luxury, same battery and same performance. But that's just me.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

CarterHounslow wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 pm The only things I wish I had in my life pro performance which I don't have are:

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

No way I'm paying the extra money for a little luxury, same battery and same performance. But that's just me.
Same sentiments as me - you get the top level of performance with the Life Pro Performance and decent standard spec,

I'm amazed VW actually allows you to pair the 150kW motor with a lower end trim rather than forcing you into a Max to get it. That's probably their next move - all sub £35k cars eligible for the grant to be lower output variants.

The Life Pro Performance is pretty good value, but once you get beyond that grant threshold, you're getting a marginally better car (doesn't drive any better, just has a few extra toys most could easily live without) for a lot more money.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:05 pm Trantor- How's the Polo GTI+ doing? We have one of those, also about 2 years old. With an educated guess, assuming you haven't loaded up on the extras, I'd expect yours to be worth about £16k right now in part ex or going via the likes of Motorway.co.uk

Just got an ID3 Life Pro Performance in Glacier White with East Derry Alloys for £27416, about £450 less than the drivethedeal price.

Are you set for one of the higher trims? They seem incredibly overpriced for the extras being offered. For some of those trims, VW have offset the loss of the grant with a £4250 deposit contribution rather than the £1750 contribution offered on those cars that get the grant.

VW have just put their prices up by quite a bit on 1sf April (mine would've seen its RRP rise by £1050 if I hadn't ordered it 2 days earlier on 29th March), so you've got a bit of breathing space before they whack their prices up again.
Hi,

Which dealer gave you an offer better than Drivethedeal?

The current drivethedeal price of VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 ELECTRIC HATCHBACK 150kW Life Pro Performance 58kWh 5dr Auto in Glacier White with East Derry Alloys is £26,912.31. This is c£500 cheaper than your deal. This requires VW finance but I understand you can pay it off within 14 days (1st day is better).

Is the offer of 2 years servicing at £329 more expensive than paying when you service?

Regards
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Trantor wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:51 am
Jono wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 am I note you mentioned you do a lot of seat fiddling. Just be aware that the ID3 power seats aren’t memory. They are good, but will still require manual manipulation

The ID.3 price list and specification sheet from 1-July onwards claims that the electric seats have a memory. Though I am taking this with a huge pinch of salt, as VW's price and spec sheets are notoriously plain wrong, depressingly often. If anyone with a MY22 Max or Tour (whenever said cars arrive in 3 months or so!) could post whether their electric seats have a memory, I would be extremely grateful :D
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Utumno wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:20 pm
Trantor wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:51 am

The ID.3 price list and specification sheet from 1-July onwards claims that the electric seats have a memory. Though I am taking this with a huge pinch of salt, as VW's price and spec sheets are notoriously plain wrong, depressingly often. If anyone with a MY22 Max or Tour (whenever said cars arrive in 3 months or so!) could post whether their electric seats have a memory, I would be extremely grateful :D
This is currently being discussed here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=882
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

CarterHounslow wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 pm The only things I wish I had in my life pro performance which I don't have are:

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

What about folding wing mirrors? Does the Life Pro Performance has this?
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes.
rawws

Post by rawws »

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

I wouldn't worry about the rear speakers most of the trims don't have them anyway
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

rawws wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

I wouldn't worry about the rear speakers most of the trims don't have them anyway
Yup, I really hate not having rear speakers. My Mk2 GTI had four speakers in each corner in1989!
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Abadgermac wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Rear speakers
Cupholders in the back

Yup, I really hate not having rear speakers. My Mk2 GTI had four speakers in each corner in1989!

And every other Golf in 1989 apart from the GTI probably only had two speakers. VW is always absolute minimum quality for standard in-car entertainment, and I suspect always will be.

Same with the standard wheels, though VW really did outdo themselves with the standard plastic binlids on most ID.3 trims. A little bit of black paint judiciously applied makes them look much better ... but no, let's make sure they're as ugly as possible so people tick that alloy wheel option!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Utumno wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:13 am
Abadgermac wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:57 pm

And every other Golf in 1989 apart from the GTI probably only had two speakers. VW is always absolute minimum quality for standard in-car entertainment, and I suspect always will be.

Same with the standard wheels, though VW really did outdo themselves with the standard plastic binlids on most ID.3 trims. A little bit of black paint judiciously applied makes them look much better ... but no, let's make sure they're as ugly as possible so people tick that alloy wheel option!
Agree about the plastic bin lids. I had the upgraded sound system on my 2014 GTD. it was good but not as impressive as I had hoped. Particularly poor using Bluetooth.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.