Charging at home

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
JimG

Post by JimG »

Hello, newbie here!

3 years experience with a Nissan Leaf!
Simple to set date and time of start, duration of charge and know that whilst I am sleeping my car was charging and would be ready next morning having taken advantage of the cheaper rate from midnight until 4.30.
Simply expected this to be the same with a more advanced design and brand new model..Wrong.
I have tried and been successful with setting home as charging place.
I can set departure time and set closing charge amount to whatever level.

Cannot set start time to anything other than immediate.

Charger is a charge point, which now seems to be a dumb charger because VW do not have the software to set a start time.

Can anyone help?

Will VW improve their software to help those of us in the UK with older home charging points so that we can take advantage of the reduced night time rates?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The VW implementation is felt by many to be over-complicated.

Some people say they have had success by setting multiple shorter charge windows, so for example 00:00-01:30, 01:30-03:00, and 03:00-04:30 rather than a single 00:00-04:30 window.

Many owners certainly hope they make it work more reliably.

I tried it,once, it didn’t work anything like I expected it to. I changed my electricity tariff to a cheap rate starting at 20:30 instead, I don’t need timed charging now.
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

JimG wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:56 pm Hello, newbie here!

3 years experience with a Nissan Leaf!
Simple to set date and time of start, duration of charge and know that whilst I am sleeping my car was charging and would be ready next morning having taken advantage of the cheaper rate from midnight until 4.30.
Simply expected this to be the same with a more advanced design and brand new model..Wrong.
I have tried and been successful with setting home as charging place.
I can set departure time and set closing charge amount to whatever level.

Cannot set start time to anything other than immediate.

Charger is a charge point, which now seems to be a dumb charger because VW do not have the software to set a start time.

Can anyone help?

Will VW improve their software to help those of us in the UK with older home charging points so that we can take advantage of the reduced night time rates?

I'm new here too, and I have a LEAF (the ID3 is my wife's car).

I'm surprised (and disappointed) to read this. Setting the charge timer in the LEAF is very straightforward, and I had expected the ID3 to be able to match this functionality. We are considering moving to a day/night meter, but in Ireland you don't get the choice about when the rates change, it's basically 11pm to 8am, take it or leave it. I suppose we could go out at 11 and plug in, but having a working timer function seems to me like a very basic thing that should be easy to use in a modern EV. Nissan have had it since 2011