Hello there

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Hi folks,

Newbie here. Based in Galway, Ireland.

We picked up a new ID3 Pro Performance in the Style spec yesterday. Lovely driving experience so far. My wife will be the main driver of it.

I've had a LEAF for almost 4 years, so we're now a 100% EV household! I know all about the variables when it comes to range, but based on first drive, the GoM in the ID3 seems way more realistic than the one in the LEAF.

The amount of spec options and subtle differences between the versions is mind-boggling. We didn't go for the Life option because we wanted the nicer seats and a reversing camera. The alloys were a nice plus too, so we went with the Style option. Soon realised that that spec doesn't have the reversing camera, but it we didn't know it came with the nice roof, so a mixed-bag of feelings about it at the moment. The Style spec does add a few nice things over the Life, and it only cost us €1250 more (getting alloys fitted to the Life would have been €950 by itself), but we're a little disappointed about the camera. I'm sure we'll get used to it.

In terms of voice commands, do all models do the same thing? I read that with single zone climate (in the Style) you can't ask it to change the temperature, but can you ask it to turn on/off the heated seats and steering wheel? I tried last night, but I'm not convinced all the connectivity settings are complete, so I had no joy. Apart from climate stuff, should the Style do the same as any other model using voice?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in time, so I'll be checking back here regularly!

Wayne

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hi Wayne and welcome.

I believe that in England alloys don't come as standard even on the more expensive trims, and they're an expensive option. I don't know about voice control of the heating system. On my 1st Edition (dual zone climate) I can control it by voice, but the be honest I find the voice controls frustrating. There are so many things it doesn't understand, I can never remember what it can and can't do so I end up screaming at it, so for the sake of my sanity I just use the steering wheel and touchscreen.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:13 pm Hi Wayne and welcome.

I believe that in England alloys don't come as standard even on the more expensive trims, and they're an expensive option. I don't know about voice control of the heating system. On my 1st Edition (dual zone climate) I can control it by voice, but the be honest I find the voice controls frustrating. There are so many things it doesn't understand, I can never remember what it can and can't do so I end up screaming at it, so for the sake of my sanity I just use the steering wheel and touchscreen.
Thanks for the welcome.

Tried the voice control again, and it doesn’t function with anything to do with climate on the Style trim. I thought I’d be at least able to turn on/off the heated seats and wheel. Ah well. Voice control works for opening and closing the blind on the panoramic roof, and for the usual navigation stuff, so it’s not too bad.

Hard to believe alloys are an extra on trims in the UK where they’re standard here…..for years and year the UK always got better specs than Irish cars.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

wgibbons wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:26 pm .....
Tried the voice control again, and it doesn’t function with anything to do with climate on the Style trim. I thought I’d be at least able to turn on/off the heated seats and wheel. Ah well. Voice control works for opening and closing the blind on the panoramic roof, and for the usual navigation stuff, so it’s not too bad.
Hi Wayne,

Welcome, it is frustrating that as you say your car has voice control and has climate control from the infotainment system, so there is no reason that you would expect the 2 not to work together and the VW Ireland advert/YouTube video specifically highlights voice control of heating.

The other thing to check is that you are able to "Air-condition now" when leaving the car when not plugged in, as some ID.3s don't seem to do this and I think this is down to mis-configuration of the software.

The VW subtle differences are more that mind-boggling, I think they are actually mis-leading. Most other manufacturers largely take a base spec then add features, apart from where obvious like a sport version being obviously different to a 4x4 version, with the ID.3 features are added and removed for little apparent reason, like your lack of reversing camera.

I think you can have a reversing camera retrofitted by a dealer.

Hope you continue to enjoy your ID.3.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire