Hello & question re the Myenergi Zappi 2 charger 7kW

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
watsonpa

Post by watsonpa »

I'm brand new to Zappi (yesterday) and had the ID3 pro performance for a month. So still learning. This note relates to some of what G43FAN has said about ECO+.

I have just had a problem with the Zappi stopping charging in ECO+ mode, despite lots of solar energy and the car still at 40% (set to 80% limit). It shows a message 'charge delayed'. The instructions suggests this means the car has a charging period set...but it doesn't (I'm not sure I can have sessions set up yet on mine).
Reading around (the myenergi forum) this seems to be an intermittent issue for some people and proving troublesome. It may be fixed by unlocking/locking car or other ways of interrupting the car and charger set-up. Unlocking/locking has just worked for me now.
I am wondering if the ID3 has some kind of limit on how many times it can be switched from charge to non charge and back in one continuous session, or how often that happens in period of time. Does anyone else think this and know any more? And is it maybe a bad thing for these car batteries to be continually switching from charge to non charge like this? What would VW say about that I wonder?
I realise the ECO mode may be a better option to keep charge on and continuous, as G43FAN has found, but wanted to explore ECO+ first for pros and cons.

thanks

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

watsonpa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm I'm brand new to Zappi (yesterday) and had the ID3 pro performance for a month. So still learning. This note relates to some of what G43FAN has said about ECO+.

I have just had a problem with the Zappi stopping charging in ECO+ mode, despite lots of solar energy and the car still at 40% (set to 80% limit). It shows a message 'charge delayed'. The instructions suggests this means the car has a charging period set...but it doesn't (I'm not sure I can have sessions set up yet on mine).
Reading around (the myenergi forum) this seems to be an intermittent issue for some people and proving troublesome. It may be fixed by unlocking/locking car or other ways of interrupting the car and charger set-up. Unlocking/locking has just worked for me now.
I am wondering if the ID3 has some kind of limit on how many times it can be switched from charge to non charge and back in one continuous session, or how often that happens in period of time. Does anyone else think this and know any more? And is it maybe a bad thing for these car batteries to be continually switching from charge to non charge like this? What would VW say about that I wonder?
I realise the ECO mode may be a better option to keep charge on and continuous, as G43FAN has found, but wanted to explore ECO+ first for pros and cons.

thanks
Yes there's a long thread https://myenergi.info/vw-ev-s-and-eco-t2447-s210.html discussing this, I didn't mention it as I wanted to keep the post fairly short. Also having seen the issue on there a long time ago, I was hoping by now it had been resolved.
With regards to the switching on and off that was something I considered when I thought about just using ECO so at least the charge continues and my excess PV is a bonus boost so to speak. Although the batteries are constantly being charged and drained whilst in use so I don't think the switching of charge on and off would be an issue?
What would VW say? I wouldn't tell them ..!!
I'm fortunate enough to be sat at home everyday currently and popping out to plug in or unlock the car is a break in screen time, but at some point I can see me needing to be able to trust the car to be charged when I get up.
watsonpa

Post by watsonpa »

Thanks for that. I get the sense it's more of a Zappi issue than VW from the various notes. It seems manageable but not ideal. Ah well!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

watsonpa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 am Thanks for that. I get the sense it's more of a Zappi issue than VW from the various notes. It seems manageable but not ideal. Ah well!
I got the impression it was more the manufacturers treating standards as guidelines.. I also thought it was sounding more like a VW problem, but I haven't kept up with the 22 pages of discussion, myenergi do seem to have been fairly proactive which is encouraging.