Where to charge car on long journey

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

I assume for a long journey using a Rapid charging location is easiest time-wise. Zap-Map lists some charging sites on farms, business premises, caravan parks etc....can you just roll up, plug in and use these in what seem to be non-public locations?
Also how best to prepare for paying in these sorts of locations?
Thanks

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

This has been my approach so far: (all for free)

1. Use this app to plan your route and stops: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
2. Once you know where you'd like to stop, use any nav system (either the in-car version, or a phone app) to get you there as you drive.
3, Check the charger availability with Zap-Map.

As for payment, that will depend on the provider of the charger - some take contactless cards, others you have to use an app, some you have to have an RFID card.

ABRP also has CarPlay and Android Auto integration if you pay to subscribe, Zap-Map has now done an equivalent of that.
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

If it’s a farm or business type location, can anyone drive up and use the charging point?
Thanks for the other info.
Deleted User 192

That will typically be private land, usually for employee/customer use only, and also often only "destination" chargers - the equivalent of a home charge point (7kW AC) <<< this is a critical point as you'll be sat charging for hours rather than using a public "rapid" point (50kW+ DC) for perhaps 10-20 minutes.

A couple of the "destination" points in the car park in my office are listed, but you have to get into the car park via security first - we have 24/7 security on-site and they do tend to let non-employees in to use them but only outside of office hours.

I wouldn't plan on using those kinds of points, you can filter them out, look at the information or comments of a specific point in Zap-Map for clues as to restrictions and usage.
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

Helpful, thanks.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Also, be aware that even if you find a fast AC charger, the car will only charge at 11kWh, which is virtually useless for long journeys. Always aim for DC chargers. I found this out the hard way on my first long journey after we had the car.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Deleted User 192

hungerdunger wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:14 pm Also, be aware that even if you find a fast AC charger, the car will only charge at 11kWh, which is virtually useless for long journeys. Always aim for DC chargers. I found this out the hard way on my first long journey after we had the car.

Exactly why I mentioned this:

this is a critical point as you'll be sat charging for hours [at an AC poiint] rather than using a public "rapid" point (50kW+ DC) for perhaps 10-20 minutes.
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

Appreciate the advice. Thanks
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Exactly why I mentioned this:

this is a critical point as you'll be sat charging for hours [at an AC poiint] rather than using a public "rapid" point (50kW+ DC) for perhaps 10-20 minutes.
Yes, but you didn't explain that even if the AC charger is rated at 43kWh (as a lot of the Ecotricity ones are), you will still only charge at 11kWh.

Which is why I mentioned it.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.