Introduction and a home charge question

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Rass

Post by Rass »

So, took delivery of my ID3 Tour last Friday.

Not done too much distance yet but apart from an issue with getting the ID3 App to register the car (ended up getting VW Digital Tech SUpport to fix 'something' before it would work) all has been good.

Not 100% sold on the tyre setup (Bridgestones) as it doesn't seem as well 'planted' as I would expect. I'll see how it goes but may change them in the future.

My question for the forum is this.

I currently have a single EO Mini dumb charge point at home. We now run two EVs (my ID3 and my wife's eGolf) and the time will come in the future when I will want to charge both overnight. Probably not till winter when I'll want both defrosted, warmed and ready to be off first thing.

Not an immediate thing but I'm after opinions.

Add a second charger (a smart one to use the OLEV grant)
Add two new chargers (both smart) that can work in tandem so as to not overload the house (house has a 100Amp fused feed)

The current charger was added a few years ago and was set against my Passat GTE (now sold on).

So the question:

Is it worth updating the charge point(s)?
Any recomendations?

Or indeed any other sugestions?

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Rass wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:44 pm I currently have a single EO Mini dumb charge point at home. We now run two EVs (my ID3 and my wife's eGolf) and the time will come in the future when I will want to charge both overnight. Probably not till winter when I'll want both defrosted, warmed and ready to be off first thing.

Not an immediate thing but I'm after opinions.

Add a second charger (a smart one to use the OLEV grant)
Add two new chargers (both smart) that can work in tandem so as to not overload the house (house has a 100Amp fused feed)

The current charger was added a few years ago and was set against my Passat GTE (now sold on).
I'd be tempted to go simple and do the minimum.

Once the timed charging in the ID.3 is working correctly then no real point to replace your existing charger.

Just use a granny charger for one car when both cars need charging - if you've got one (didn't eGolf's come with one?) then you don't need to buy another and if not you will have one for emergencies.

This assumes you have a suitable socket and you don't run down both cars batteries most days, etc..

If you find this set-up doesn't work you can always get a second charger later.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire