Home charging recommendations

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
V8nomore

Post by V8nomore »

Hi Guys,

I've just placed a deposit on an ID.3 Pro Performance, my first electric car having made quite a u-turn from a petrol guzzling V8. Very excited to become an ID.3 owner!

One thing I hadn't looked into enough prior is the home charging options, and having done a bit of research I could do with some advice on what would be best. Apologies in advance for the long post.

Background info: Weekly mileage approx 135 miles, I live in South East England and plan on moving house in ~4 years. Considering switching to 5p night rate energy tariff.

I own my parking space, however is not directly outside the house ("shared" driveway, space approx 17m from the fusebox). My garden runs adjacent to the space, and initial thoughts were to buy a sufficiently rated weatherproof extension lead and run it down garden, through the hedge to the car. Having done some research, I've seen advice against using extension cables due to overheating etc... especially not as a long term solution.

The logistics of installing a proper charger are tricky if not impossible; there is no wall to mount one to, and I believe there may be a restrictive covenant that would prevent anything "permanent" from crossing a section of our garden

Hence my conundrum... Is a 20m weatherproof extension lead safe enough to use to top up ~20 miles a night via mains, or should this be avoided at all costs? Can a charging point be installed in a non-permanent way (the charging point itself would be fine, but no buried cable for instance), and would this be worth doing if I am planning on moving house in 4 years? Or should I forget about home charging and just drive to a public charge point when needed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Ask a local approved charge point installer to take a look at that option with you.

You could rely on a granny lead but be careful with the extension AND the domestic socket/wiring.

You could rely on public charging.

But if it were me, I would want to understand more about your options for a proper home point first.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

As has been said, you should probably speak to an installer/electrician about options.
No idea if this would be an option for you. Install a 32amp Commando and buy an Ohme with a long cable? You could take the Ohme with you when you leave that way.

See discussion here. https://www.speakev.com/threads/home-ch ... me.154423/