Pod Point question

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I'm in the same position about to change my modem, i emailed pod point and they sent me the instructions to change leaflet, may also be on their website
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Here it is
S3-UK-H-CG-6-Solo-3_Twin-Connection-Guide-CS.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:30 pm Here it is
Thank you for that.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm I don't but related - have you considered using mesh devices rather than networking plugs and related network extenders? Much better WiFi coverage in my house with the mesh devices.
So I need to ask SKY if I can have a mesh router and nodes rather than a standard router. I'm also on SKY Q which may or may not be a problem.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Buy a mesh system and plug it into your router. We've a google mesh (three units) that cost £160 or so a year back. Works great in a four storey large victorian house.

Great thing is if you change broadband supplier or move house (as we have) you just plug it into the new router and you have the same network name and password etc.. Also - our (talktalk) router apparently has all sorts of security issues - which the Google Mesh doesnt, so by using that in one stroke we got rid of that issue.

I appreciate that may all be a bit off topic!
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

It's easier just to change the SSID of the new router to the same SSID as the old router, also use the same password. This also means you don't need to change anything on your other devices.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

steviebabes wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 pm It's easier just to change the SSID of the new router to the same SSID as the old router, also use the same password. This also means you don't need to change anything on your other devices.
So I change the name of the new TP LINK to the same as the old one? Is it that simple? I thought there would be a unique ref/code.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

Daveion wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:34 pm So I change the name of the new TP LINK to the same as the old one? Is it that simple? I thought there would be a unique ref/code.
Yes it really is that simple.

By this mechanism, you can run multiple access points with the same SSID and key and your devices *should* be able to switch between them seamlessly.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm I don't but related - have you considered using mesh devices rather than networking plugs and related network extenders? Much better WiFi coverage in my house with the mesh devices.
So I need to ask SKY if I can have a mesh router and nodes rather than a standard router. I'm also on SKY Q which may or may not be a problem.
I'm on Sky Q, with a standard broadband router, bought my in mesh units. They work far better than the range extender SKY supplied.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

davmatjo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:09 pm
Daveion wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:34 pm So I change the name of the new TP LINK to the same as the old one? Is it that simple? I thought there would be a unique ref/code.
Yes it really is that simple.

By this mechanism, you can run multiple access points with the same SSID and key and your devices *should* be able to switch between them seamlessly.
This is interesting. If I change the name of all my extenders to the same name as my SKY router as I move around the house/ workshop/ garden/charge point, a device will just connect to the strongest signal? Is that what you mean?
The extenders are great but it's a pain having to disconnect and then connect to the one with the best signal.
If I could have set this up better I blame that on being born in 1950. I got my first Wang PC in 1981 at work but still can't keep up with the technology 40 years on 😂
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Automatically connects to the best signal. No need to disconnect and reconnect.
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

Daveion wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 pm This is interesting. If I change the name of all my extenders to the same name as my SKY router as I move around the house/ workshop/ garden/charge point, a device will just connect to the strongest signal? Is that what you mean?
The extenders are great but it's a pain having to disconnect and then connect to the one with the best signal.
If I could have set this up better I blame that on being born in 1950. I got my first Wang PC in 1981 at work but still can't keep up with the technology 40 years on 😂
Yes, depending on your client. Some are better at doing it than others. If you ever go to a large commercial building with WiFi it's the same setup. Lots of Wireless Access Points provide coverage everywhere and your mobile device will silently switch between Access Points as you move around to keep a "decent" signal. Implementation varies by manufacturer so as I said, some devices handle it much better than others.

Without turning this into a networking thread, the absolute best thing you can do home network wise is have multiple Wireless Access Points all wired up with ethernet back to your main router. Although this certainly isn't for everyone as it requires you to route cables and get your hands on extra hardware if you don't have old ISP routers lying around.

Mesh networks provide a good compromise between speed and convenience because they don't require you to cable up all your additional points, just find some good locations, set and forget. They use wireless to talk to each other so won't be as fast as wired in, but they can transfer data in a more optimised way than your traditional wireless repeater

Traditional wireless "repeaters/range extenders" are usually the worst option as at best, each repeater will effectively halve your connection speed due to the way they work.