Things aren’t going well with the new Max

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jono

Post by Jono »

After my rear lights refusing to turn off yesterday (still on) and my car baring me from entering, I had a horrible suspicion things would probably get worse - they have.

I finally managed to break in (used the physical key) managed to stop the alarm and settled myself in. I wasn’t really ready for the barrage of abuse the car then hurled at me. I think I counted a total of 15 error messages, in reality there was probably more things failing, than actually working.

I naïvely thought they may clear, I was wrong. As many related to safety system, I decided to check how things were set on the infotainment screen. Every single system was shown as being unavailable and greyed out.

Fearing for my life, I suspect the car may be vengeful, I got out before it decided to disable the locks.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I hope your WiFi SSID isn’t “Skynet”
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Are you on 2.1?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Jono

Post by Jono »

Yes it’s on 2.1. I waited over a month to pick it up because the update failed and it needed new parts.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

That's strange isn't it. I wonder why some cars seem so prone to issues. I personally blame the owners though. they've obviously been bad in their previous life!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

I had 2.1 done about a month ago and all previous issues seemed to have been resolved. However 2 weeks ago I had problems with the ACC and road sign recognitions, no puddle lights, infotainment screen switching itself off whilst driving. I popped in to the dealers to report and the master tech did a quick diagnostic check and said that numerous faults had appeared.
So yesterday morning the car went in to have those issues resolved and last night came the call that the car needed to have 2.1 installed from scratch again.
As of this moment I'm still awaiting an update.
I really like the car but can't afford to keep having problems and being without the car.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

gailjon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 am That's strange isn't it. I wonder why some cars seem so prone to issues. I personally blame the owners though. they've obviously been bad in their previous life!
I suppose it is better than coming back as an ant or something.

Personally, as I always argue with a computer help desk when they tell me their is no reason for my current issue it is just random, that it isn't random a computer is deterministic so either its something I have done which has caused the fault or its something the design / programmer did wrong.

Same with the ID.3, some of the faults are perceived differently by different owners and the cars are driven differently, but a significant number of cars seem to have issues with the upgrade that it is more than just random or owner related.

I guess one ID.3 Life Pro for example does not really equal another ID.3 Life Pro.

I suspect the ID.3 is built from components coming from a whole range of suppliers built to a specification from VW and the issue is that either the VW specifications are not extensive enough or some of the suppliers don't really meet the specification as well as others.

So my ID.3 may have an ICAS 1 unit from Continental, left door control unit from Bosch, brake control unit from Siemens, SOS unit from Ericsson, infotainment from Sony, .........

Whereas your ID.3 may have an ICAS 1 unit from Smiths, left door control unit from Thompson, brake control unit from Continental, SOS unit from Samsung, infotainment from LG, .........

VWs seem to be treating each ID.3's issues as a unique problem, hence need to escalate through different levels of VW support and long times taking.

I can only hope that behind the scenes VW are building up a picture of which combination of components work reliably and so will soon be able to predict issues before the dealers through no fault of their own brick more cars.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
JonS

Post by JonS »

Hmmm I’m test driving one on Friday but seriously wondering whether there are so many glitches that it would be best to wait another year or so to see if they are properly sorted.

Frankly in your position given the extended problems you’ve experienced I’d ask for a full refund as the car was not of merchantable quality. Spent more time being unfixed than it has on the road...
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

JonS wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm Hmmm I’m test driving one on Friday but seriously wondering whether there are so many glitches that it would be best to wait another year or so to see if they are properly sorted.
Definitely test drive one. There are far more people without any issues at all who are completely happy then there are people with issues. My wife's car has been faultless, both prior to 2.1 update and now after update(which went through without any issues at all).

Remember that we forum members enjoy talking about and discussing issues with cars, both good and bad, while most people (my wife included) could not care less what the car does as long as it works.
JonS

Post by JonS »

Good to hear! I have of course already spent a long time on the configurator and decided on that most important issue... colour! Stonewashed Blue is my choice and I’ve seen a couple in that colour over the past week; it works well and I think will hide a bit of dirt at least compared to my second choice, white!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

WRT Simon above, it feels to me that the dealer network isn’t a network, and act as single entries into the VW machine without feedback into them.

The net result being that the collective dealer knowledge is only known by VW, so if a dealer encounters a problem for the first time, unless they are socially engaged, they will be “unaware” of problems.

Just a theory, but the experiences feel like that. For example, when I flagged a few things, shared to them via my phone, they searched “something” and remarked “oh yes, I see” whereas beforehand they had no hits.
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Just to say we now have 3 ID.3's at our office and the latest one was the Stonewash Blue and its a lovely colour in the flesh, changes hues as the day changes, I chose the Turquoise and I am pleased with that, stands out in a crowd.
On another note does anyone else find this car (all ID. 3) attracts dirt like no other, must be the piano black roof.
Also out of the 3 cars we have mine has ran near perfect (few software glitches) but one of them has had a few faults that seemed to have been fixed by software 2.1, I think we just have to except we are early adaptors of this range and they will get most things resolved over time, I also think the VW dealer network is frantically trying to come up to speed on these models as well.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Anduain wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm WRT Simon above, it feels to me that the dealer network isn’t a network, and act as single entries into the VW machine without feedback into them.

The net result being that the collective dealer knowledge is only known by VW, so if a dealer encounters a problem for the first time, unless they are socially engaged, they will be “unaware” of problems.

Just a theory, but the experiences feel like that. For example, when I flagged a few things, shared to them via my phone, they searched “something” and remarked “oh yes, I see” whereas beforehand they had no hits.
It is a collection of independent franchises in the UK - no idea if there is a mechanism for them to share information with one another but I think you're right.
Jono

Post by Jono »

I beginning to think that the individual franchises don’t even share info amongst their own staff, let alone anyone else.
digital

Post by digital »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:57 am
Anduain wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm WRT Simon above, it feels to me that the dealer network isn’t a network, and act as single entries into the VW machine without feedback into them.

It is a collection of independent franchises in the UK - no idea if there is a mechanism for them to share information with one another but I think you're right.
From conversations with the (beyond excellent) Service Manager at our dealership, the different dealers do talk to each other and feed back to VW.

I've passed opinion on a couple of issues with the ID4 and he's confirmed I'm not alone as other dealers have had similar comments and that VW have said to look out for changes.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
Jono

Post by Jono »

That’s good to know - my experience seemed to suggest everything was siloed, with complicated and time consuming links between. Obviously only based on my experiences to date