ROAD TRIP! Taking the ID.3 to central Italy

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Well, after a last-minute SNAFU with the Green Card (thanks, Brexit), instead of leaving today I am leaving Monday, from when the EU no longer requires British vehicles to carry it (thank you EU for abolishing a system only slightly less archaic than the Droit de Seigneur I guess).

I'll post updates and some pictures here when I get to it. Leaving home 6am, route is now settled Eurotunnel, Autoroute des Anglais, A31, Nancy, Colmar, cross the border at Basel, cross the border at Como, Milan, Piacenza, Forli and then into the hills of central Italy. Total trip length ca. 1,100 miles, one overnight stop. Three charges on the first day, arriving with 25% at hotel, overnight trickle charge at hotel (pre-arranged), three charges on the second day, arriving with 25% at the destination.

Wish me luck.

It's going to be epic either way.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Enjoy! Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to hearing how easy or complicated the charging is in other countries!
Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

Have a good trip, you might enjoy watching
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Andreas wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:15 pm Well, after a last-minute SNAFU with the Green Card (thanks, Brexit), instead of leaving today I am leaving Monday, from when the EU no longer requires British vehicles to carry it (thank you EU for abolishing a system only slightly less archaic than the Droit de Seigneur I guess).

I'll post updates and some pictures here when I get to it. Leaving home 6am, route is now settled Eurotunnel, Autoroute des Anglais, A31, Nancy, Colmar, cross the border at Basel, cross the border at Como, Milan, Piacenza, Forli and then into the hills of central Italy. Total trip length ca. 1,100 miles, one overnight stop. Three charges on the first day, arriving with 25% at hotel, overnight trickle charge at hotel (pre-arranged), three charges on the second day, arriving with 25% at the destination.

Wish me luck.

All the best

Andreas
Envious. We have cancelled a vacation to Croatia twice, Majorca once. Have a great road trip 😊
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Gr4ndp4 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:10 pm Have a good trip, you might enjoy watching
Cheers
Yeah I watched that. I hope my experience will be better than that! :mrgreen:

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:16 pm
Andreas wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:15 pm Well, after a last-minute SNAFU with the Green Card (thanks, Brexit), instead of leaving today I am leaving Monday, from when the EU no longer requires British vehicles to carry it (thank you EU for abolishing a system only slightly less archaic than the Droit de Seigneur I guess).

Wish me luck.

All the best

Andreas
Envious. We have cancelled a vacation to Croatia twice, Majorca once. Have a great road trip 😊
We wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't family on the other hand, so no issues with 5-days isolation, sorting out tests, etc. But the kids need to see the grandparents again and vice versa, so off we go!

All the best

andreas
——————
JonS

Post by JonS »

Have a great trip and really interested too great how it goes…. I’m planning a trip to Sicily when the pandemic is done, via Le Havre, Dijon, Stresa and ferry from Civitavecchia so similar and would be great to hear how your trip works! Have fun
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Car is now loaded up, ca. 45kg in the boot, and ca. 120kg of humans in the front, for ca. 165kg total. I managed to get in a large Samsonite wheelie, and two carryons, as well as odds and sods, after removing fake floor. With more care a third carry-on would have been possible. Boot cover is in place. Granny charger wedged in the side pocked for access, Type 2 cable between the wheels of the Samsonite.

Planned charging locations at Ionity Rely (ca. 150 miles), Ionity Vrigny outside Reims (161 miles - but this one sucks, because you have to travel 20-odd km in the wrong direction and then turn back), and Ionity Haut Koenigsburg (210 miles, if needed as I suspect it will be), as final destination and trickle charge is only 34 miles from there.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Andreas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:46 pm Car is now loaded up, ca. 45kg in the boot, and ca. 120kg of humans in the front, for ca. 165kg total. I managed to get in a large Samsonite wheelie, and two carryons, as well as odds and sods, after removing fake floor. With more care a third carry-on would have been possible. Boot cover is in place. Granny charger wedged in the side pocked for access, Type 2 cable between the wheels of the Samsonite.

Planned charging locations at Ionity Rely (ca. 150 miles), Ionity Vrigny outside Reims (161 miles - but this one sucks, because you have to travel 20-odd km in the wrong direction and then turn back), and Ionity Haut Koenigsburg (210 miles, if needed as I suspect it will be), as final destination and trickle charge is only 34 miles from there.

All the best

Andreas

Have fun! Looking forward to hearing how you get on!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Well here we go.

Day 1:

Started ten mins late at 0610 little traffic, reached Chunnel at 0725, but due to border control jammed only just got on the 0818. Note to self, use the toilet before getting on the train, as COVID has closed them. Even the sea gulls were bored.

From London to the terminal 68 miles at 3.3mi/kW, not great,, given speed average 45 miles, top speed 73 (overtaking). Need to work on that. One thing to note is that adaptive cruise control creating some issues when it does pick up the wrong speed limit, but the driving experience overall is something else entirely. Relaxed, car doing a lot of things you would have done yourself in the previous cars I owned, and you get to rely on it quite quickly (e.g. auto brake, distance keeping). In France quickly reached Ionity Aire de Rely (picture), and charged up to 77% (this was a mistake). I then decided to chance it with the Reims Sud BP charger rather than the planned Ionity Aire de Vrigny - this would ultimately cost me three hours. Consumption on the next leg again higher than expected, but no matter, there are tons of chargers around Reims, right? Right...

I got to Reims Sud with 120km left, and it was broken. Of course it was. The ten Tesla super chargers next to it worked, and I now know Tesla envy. Well never mind, there is a bridge to Reims Nord and you can just use that one and... oh, you cannot turn right once over the bridge, so you cannot reach the charger. So.... back across the bridge, drive south 15km or so using hypermiling technique (stick behind a truck or caravan, maximize recovery, turn around (all a bit of a pain because of Péage), to Reims Nord. Get there, charger obvs working, a Leaf is on it with a nice young lady. Chit-chat and she takes 20 minutes to fill up to 94%. She then takes another 15 minutes before vacating the spot while sorting out music, directions, waiting for her friend. Finally, charger is free. Connect and! "There is an internal charger error. Please press this button..." Well... pressed the button. "There is an internal charger error, the maintenance team has been alerted. Well... I used to live in France, and I know I am screwed now. Rapid calculations, and I should be able to get Ionity Gueux, although the car is tutting that I should really charge it as range has dropped below 100km. Lessons learned:

1) If you pass close to an Ionity, use it.
2) See 1)
3) If you rely on any non-Ionity charger in France, make sure you have enough juice to make it to the next Ionity charger.
4) See 3)
4) Ionity chargers look sleek, the app is fancy, and they work, every time. Other chargers look like something the mad professor from Back to the Future built, they are banged up, lord knows if they even have an app, and they are broken. It is known. This is the law, and this is now my France EV charging rule to live by.
5) Don't go faster than 130km/h - your efficiency drops like a stone.

After Gueux I had to go 15km west before turning back east. At Gueux I charged to 80% (after a charger disconnect at 43% that fixed itself, could have been me monkeying about with the keys) and then charged again on the opposite side at Ionity Vrigny, just to be sure. ABRP then gave me a direct route to Haut Koenigsburg Ionity, but it looked dicy. I spurned that, having learned my lesson, and went to Ionity Hauconcourt instead, adding more time. On getting there out of seven potential chargers only five had been installed and one of these was permanently non-op. There were ten or 12 Tesla superchargers in the car park, they were empty. The four operational Ionity's had a queue of three, to which I added myself. Another nice chat with a lady from Luxembourg who promised to guard my queue place while I took my daughter to the toilet. One Niro driver from Holland gave up the wait and disappeared, and an e-Tron was added. Occupied by two Niros and two Panameras (Luxembourg is rich). After a 20 minute wait we got there, and this time I charged to 100%.

On to Haut Koenigsburg, with a traffic jam to start, and then the scenic route for a while. No issues, Ionity Haut Koenigsburg worked like a dream (picture). Did I mention that Ionity rocks? Charged up to 70ish percent and off to the hotel where we arrived at 10pm, instead as optimistically planned 1730ish (pressimistically 1930ish). As we were so late their technician had gone home, so no trickle charge.

Day 1 data:
- 91kmh average,
- 962km total
- 10h26 driving
- 5.2km/kWh average
- started day at 97%
- ended day at 59%

Used air con a fair bit (still trying to get it to a comfortable temperature setting), CarPlay, music.

Charges (all Ionity with UKP7.99 WeCharge subscription pack):
Aire de Rely - 27.94kWh/30mins/EUR9.26
Aire de Guex 1 25.96kWh/12mins/EUR3.84
Aire de Gueux 2 27.59kWh/20mins/EUR6.16
Aire de Vrigny 11.74kWh/14mins/EUR4.42
Hauconcourt 52.32kWh/40min/EUR12.26
Aire de Haut Koenigsburg 23.7kWh/19mins/EUR5.84
Total 169.25kWh charged and 29.26kWh battery run down day start/day end for a total of 198.51kWh.
Total time 2h15 on chargers
Total cost EUR41.78

Bottom-lines:

1) The car rocks. I have never had a more relaxed drive in my live, even when a chauffeur drove me to Gatwick in a huge Merc.
2) Spending 10 hours in the ID.3 is like spending ten hours in front of your computer but with the bonus of landscape flying by. There are hardly any vibrations, your mind is occupied with all the data. It's brilliant.
3) The ACC takes a huge load out of driving. Really happy with it.
4) Ionity.

Day 2 to follow. Just a note that it was a considerable improvement in every aspect.

All the best

Andreas

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

Last edited by Andreas on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Two observations I forgot to mention:

1) the car recognises it is not in Kansas anymore and the lights switch automatically to ‘drive on the left’, which beats the old way of doing this which was to glue tape over the long-distance part of the lights. We have the adaptive lighting pack as standard on the Tour so not sure if it’s linked to that.
2) you can set units to “sane, sensible and comprehensible”, sorry I mean metric, which I would recommend while in France. One side effect of that is that suddenly instantaneous consumption (which I think is in miles/kWh in the UK) is now in kWh/hour which keeps your brain occupied (e.g. 20kWh/h and speed of 120kmh/h means you are doing 6km/kWh or 3.75 miles/kWh. It’s good to keep your brain jogging while driving.

All the best

Andreas
Last edited by Andreas on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
——————
Black

Post by Black »

Excellent write up and thanks for taking the time to share.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Andreas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:12 am Two observations I forgot to mention:

1) the car recognises it is not in Kansas anymore and the lights switch automatically to ‘drive on the left’, which beats the old way of doing this which was to glue tape over the long-distance part of the lights. We have the adaptive lighting pack as standard on the Tour so not sure if it’s linked to that.
2) you can set units to “sane, sensible and comprehensible”, sorry I mean metric, which I would recommend while in France. One side effect of that is that suddenly instantaneous consumption (which I think is in miles/kWh in the UK) is now in kWh/hour which keeps your brain occupied (e.g. 20kWh/h and speed of 120kmh/h means your doing 6km/kWh or 3.75 miles/kWh. It’s good to keep your brain jogging while driving.

All the best

Andreas
Which country are you referring to when you say “drive on left”. This setting has confused me ever since I got the car.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Let me check that later.

I think it said ‘Drive on the Right’ (steering wheel side) while I was in the UK. I then wanted to change that manually after landing in France but saw the car had already done it.

But will check. I’m confused now as well.

All the best

Andreas
——————
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

I have searched high and low for photos/videos of how practical the boot is with regards to luggage but haven't been very successful. Would you mind taking a photo of how you've packed the boot please? I'm wondering if the car could be used for airport runs where two large (20kg+) suitcases need to be carried. I don't mind removing the parcel shelf in this situation.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:08 am I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

I have searched high and low for photos/videos of how practical the boot is with regards to luggage but haven't been very successful. Would you mind taking a photo of how you've packed the boot please? I'm wondering if the car could be used for airport runs where two large (20kg+) suitcases need to be carried. I don't mind removing the parcel shelf in this situation.
There's always good old Bjorn and his banana box test..
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:48 am
thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:08 am I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

Cheers. I've seen this video but banana boxes are not a very useful point of reference for me.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:51 am
G43FAN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:48 am

Cheers. I've seen this video but banana boxes are not a very useful point of reference for me.
To be honest I'm am not sure they are for anyone other than a greengrocer.

We can get my son's full hockey kit in the back along with stick bag. (Goalie) so a lot of kit. It actually fits in the ID3 better than it did in my Tiguan as although the Tig had a bigger (slighlty, I think) boot the wheel arches stuck into the space and made it less practical.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Let's continue, day 2.

Considerable improvement over day one. After another trip to the pool and a great breakfast, appointment at La Pharmacie at 09.45 for obligatory COVID test (EUR25pp, needed for entry to Italy). Results by 10.30 and off we go.

Crossing the border is no issue, no controls, and off we go zooming down the very nice but busy Swiss highways (Vignette was mail-ordered in the UK). First stop is Ionity Neuenkirch, a marvellous charging location with a nice playground and view of the mountains. Taking some time the ID.3 is charged to 100%. On arrival at the four chargers a XC40 occupies another one, and that's it. While there a couple rocks up in an Ionity 5, test-driving, and obviously seeking out other EV drivers for a chat (there is a nice social aspect in charging, you get to talk to lots of fellow EV drivers if you are so inclined). I recommended the ID.3, which was their other option.

The onwards to the Gotthardt tunnel, and yes, mountain motorway driving is fun, the recharge function is working overtime, and the distance on the Guessometer keeps going up. As there is traffic jams advertised at the Gotthardt, a quick comfort break and opportunity top-up at Gotthardt Süd. Another nice location, next to a river. The Swiss do motorway stops in style.

Then off to the tunnel. A 5km traffic jam before the entry costs us about 30 minutes. The nav system is clearly on drugs (as is Waze), suggesting to avoid the jam by going over the pass. Sure, Jan. My daughter decides to take a nap in the back, and (another EV advantage) conks out completely for the next 3 hours. Lack of noise and vibrations makes for better sleep I guess. As the old joke goes, I want to die peacefully and in my sleep, like grandpa, and not screaming and in terror like the others in his car.

As the car is now quite well charged, and as the descent from Gotthardt means recharge is now permanent, there is no need to stop at Bellinzona, and we are off to Binasco, just south of Milan. Again, no checks at the border (with Italy this time), a short traffic jam shortly after the border, and then heavy but fast-moving traffic to Milan. The ACC is working well in this, but you need to keep attention to the speed limits in construction sites, since Italians treat them as laughable suggestions. At Binasco there's a McDonalds and not much else. Top-up to 100%, as there is a 281km leg coming up to Forli, and I don't intend to stop at Carpi or repeat yesterday's experience. We cut through to the A! direction Bologna rather than going north and then south again via the Milano Tangenziale Sud, shaving 5 or 6km off. Then it's straight 280km down the motorway at 130km/h without a break. The ID.3 just goes 'Range Anxiety, what's that mate'? I keep monitoring use, but we go along with music and nav system on and a/c running at comfortable level all the way, at allowed speeds (Although I may or may not once have taken her to 154km/h to overtake a particularly recalcitrant middle-lane hogger). it's all brilliant.

We get to Forli in the dark, the Ionity station is a bit off the motorway at a major shopping centre. So we shop a bit, have a coffee for the last leg, and stretch our legs. Then it is off into the night (the adaptive lighting is awesome) down the SS3bis. Trust me, you do not want to go down the SS3bis. It's a constant construction site down to Perugia, with the only benefit that it's so sh*t, even truckers spurn it and go another way south. We eventually make it, again maybe not always having kept the 40km/h speed limit the ACC insisted on. We arrive at around 23.30 at our destination with a reasonable charge, and another memorable day ended. I now have full trust in the range capacity of the ID.3 Tour, a much better idea of what I can push it to, and am overall happy as Larry (whoever he is) with the choice.

Day 2 stats
Distance covered = 861km
Speed = 86km/h average 1
Driving time = 10h12
Average efficiency = 6.1km/kWh
Day started charge level 59kwh
4 Charges:
1) Ionity Neuenkirch 55.82 kWh/58mins/CHF16.75 (to 100%)
2) Gotthardt Süd Ionity 6.56 kWh/12mins/CHF1.97 (top-up)
3) Ionity Binasco 32.14 kWh/44mins/EUR9.64 (to 100%)
4) Ionity Forli 52.10 kWh/53mins/EUR15.63 (to 100%)
Day ended charge level 53kwh
Total 146.62 charged and 4.62 battery drawdown for total of 151.24 kWh, 2h47 charging time, EUR42.68

All the best

Andreas
——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

We had one large Samsonite (20kg+ variety), two carry-ons, and various bits and bobs (small box, daypack rucksacks, charging cables (Type 2 and 3-pin). It's unloaded now but will see if two 20kgs fit. I suspect they will, if they are being but upright and athwart the car), with an additional carry-on and a backpack, charging cables between the large luggage wheels. As long as you remove the parcel shelf, which we did.

But let me check, I may be over optimistic.

All the best

Andreas
——————