Space Saver Wheel under Variable Floor?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RDR

Post by RDR »

Had a nightmare last night with a puncture, Bridgstone self seal did not seal on a 3mm nail in the front tyre. Went through VW roadside assist who sub out to AA who Sub out to another contractor. Short storey 6.5 Hours later from the 10:30PM callout to get recovered 20miles home!

Anyway, to avoid such a fiasco I want to carry a space saver, there is no wheel well. Does anyone know if the Variable load space floor can accommodate a Space saver under it?

Thanks in Advance.

stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

You have about 100mm depth under the floor so I doubt it.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I've been googling this too - and found one company that sells a spacesaver kit for the id3- a bit under £200... unsure though...
RDR

Post by RDR »

thanks yes I've googled and noted there are 3rd part options for the saver and tools. Have to make sure the Jack is unto the job with the weight of the car.

It's where to store it that's the problem, the most obvious is under a false floor.
King

Post by King »

Has anyone actually bought a space saver tyre and accessories - I look at Amazon etc but cannot find a supplier that definitely says that it specifically for 18” ID 3
Stonewashed Blue - Life Pro Performance.
September 2021
King

Post by King »

I can also confirm that the tool ‘kit’ only contains the anti theft wheel bolt, screw in towing eye and hook for pulling trim.
The readyme book tyre section says “if there is no visible damage, drive slowly and cautiously to next qualified workshop in order to have the vehicle checked”. I had to drive < 1 mile home on a completely flat tyre , I wouldn’t like to drive any further. But does this imply that tyres a suitable for run flat use?
It’s no fun being caught out in the rain and wind with a flat tyre and no means to change wheel or use a spare if available.
Stonewashed Blue - Life Pro Performance.
September 2021
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

King wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm I can also confirm that the tool ‘kit’ only contains the anti theft wheel bolt, screw in towing eye and hook for pulling trim.
The readyme book tyre section says “if there is no visible damage, drive slowly and cautiously to next qualified workshop in order to have the vehicle checked”. I had to drive < 1 mile home on a completely flat tyre , I wouldn’t like to drive any further. But does this imply that tyres a suitable for run flat use?
It’s no fun being caught out in the rain and wind with a flat tyre and no means to change wheel or use a spare if available.
If you are on 18s you should also have received a pump and gunk set. If you are on 19s they are supposed to be self sealing. I appreciate neither option is as good as a proper spare when you need it, but how many new cars come with spares now? I haven't had a car with a spare tyre in the boot for over a decade.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Omy2

Post by Omy2 »

Yes I have a space saver spare wheel under my diy false floor on my Life Pro Performance. I got it from the wheel shop link below:
https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/?product ... resent-day
BD70

Post by BD70 »

Has anybody actually fitted a steel space saver wheel on the front axle of the ID3.
I have 18" steel wheels on my ID3 and I have bought two new 18" steel space saver wheels from two separate sellers which were advertised for fitting an 18" VAG wheel.
The first one was a new 4Jx18H2 ET27.5 space saver which fitted ok on the rear wheel but fouled the brake calliper on the front, it would not turn. I sent it back for a full refund.
I've just received a second new wheel 3 1/2Jx18H2 ET25.5 and that is exactly the same, ok on the rear but binds on the front.
My fitted standard steel wheels are 7 1/2 Jx18H2 ET50 which has a much bigger offset which is the ET figure.
I also placed the space saver wheel alongside my steel wheel to compare the outside diameter, both free standing off the car and the 18" space saver is 55mm less in diameter than the standard 18" steel wheel.
I don't like the idea of fitting a spacer on the front axle to maybe clear the calliper or to run a space saver wheel which is 55mm smaller in diameter.
The only steel space saver wheel I have subsequently found advertised specifically for the ID3 is a 19" wheel from The Wheel Shop as in the link below.

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product- ... resent-day

The photo shows it fitted to the rear wheel so is there anybody out there who has got this 19" space saver wheel from The Wheel Shop and successfully fitted it to the front axle. They say it is suitable for cars fitted with 18", 19" and 20" wheels from the factory.

1. If so, does it fit ok without fouling the calliper on the front axle without the use of a spacer? Don't like the idea of fitting a non VW approved spacer due to warranty/insurance liability issues on a lease car.

2. Also what is the outside diameter of the Wheel Shop 19" wheel? Hopefully it will be larger than the 18" VAG space saver wheel that I have got and will be nearer the diameter of the standard 18" steel wheels. Don't want warranty issues running a smaller wheel, albeit for a short period on the rear axle where there must be a differential.

I can't find any information in the ID3 manual about the use of space saver wheels. The space saver wheel suppliers don't state specifically that they are for rear wheels only.
I would like to get a space saver wheel that was suitable for front and rear axles without the need to use a spacer. The front wheels are more prone to kerbing damage than the rears.
It's always possible of course to do a dual swap and replace a punctured front wheel with the good rear wheel and put the space saver on the rear but only having to jack the car up once is definitely better if the spare can fit both axles. Punctures never happen in convenient places, always the need to change wheels quickly and move on.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Given the wheelshop a bell? They’re based in the NW and are a real shop/retailer rather than some internet sell on site…
BD70

Post by BD70 »

I have rang them and the sales department say it fits on the front axle but was hoping someone can confirm if they have actually tried to fit it successfully before I spend £179.99 with them.
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

If you join this Facebook ID3 group you'll be able to read this post with lots of info and see a photo of one fitted to the front.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1678376 ... 072533931/
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker