Recommendations on Home charger

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

colonelpurple wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 am Zappi is very popular and very reliable. It also has unique design features, like it can work at a much longer distance from the house then one that relies on WiFi, as it has its own hub and custom radio signal.
It also has all sorts of features if you plan to get solar panels or a power wall.
I don’t have either, but it’s been reliable from day 1 with my octopus go tariff, set to only charge between 12:30 and 4:30
Plus 1 on the above.
The Zappi has a lot of integration options for managing solar panels and heating etc if you have or plan to look into that kind of thing. (It's not the only charger that does this). With Gas going the way it is, I am looking to see how and where I can accelerate my renewable utilities options and the Zappi was bought with that integration in mind. The extra expense is probably pointless if you will not be going down any PV Solar route.

Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

Correction to my note above. I meant “Good Energy” not “Green Energy”. Good Energy do my Feed in tariff for my solar panels, but do a night time tariff for EV charging as do Octopus.
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

Colonelpurple, do you have a battery integrated?
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I am in a position to think about home charger again after months of different install issues.
In recent threads chargers with a built in SIM have been mentioned but Im not sure what the driver is for needing that.
My charger not yet decided.
The charger will be in reach of my wifi with an extender.
My car will not connect via the wifi extender because it has a protocol security glitch or something like that.
My hub is too far back in the house to pick that up.
I have a reasonable mobile coverage as well.
Running data cable to the charge point would be a headache.
Given the above is it likely that I should go for a charger with a SIM?
Advice appreciated.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Dave, I have a wallbox with Bluetooth so I use that to set up the timing through the app when I am near the charger. It is outside my WiFi range.

The main reason I can see for connecting it to wifi is to pick up any updates that might be required. I can connect it to the web via the phone hotspot, not sure yet will this be enough to allow updates when released by wallbox.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Do you know if Wallbox would communicate via a wifi extender. I was surprised that my car rejected it because of security. I dont understand why the car would connect to my normal wifi, although weak, but rejected the boosted extender.
And a SIM?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

I don’t know that. I had considered getting an extender to extend wifi coverage to car and charger but it wasn’t worth the hassle of install for my situation. If I need to check that the timed charging has started I look at the WeConnect app which connects via the cars SIM.

Hopefully someone here can answer your query on why the extender could be an issue.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids