Congestion charge in London

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
peterg

Post by peterg »

Several months ago did a trip into London and was advised to register the ID3 with Transport for London to avoid the ULEZ charge. Completely free for an EV. I also saw that you could make a one off payment of £10 and so avoid the daily congestion charge - but it would take up to 10 days so had to pay the £15 congestion charge.
Planning a trip in a few weeks, went back on the TfL site to pay my £10....and the special EV one off price has disappeared. It only offers you the full congestion charge option.
Have I got this wrong or as I suspect TfL have realised just how much revenue they are missing as the EV revolution takes over. Really cheap trick to raise revenue and not in the spirit of green travel/emissions etc. Anyone else been through this experience ?

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

It worked for me two weeks back, I think you might be missing the right window.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/cc-cvd ... exemptions

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

When are you planning to go, there are a number of changes from 25th October according to their web site?

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/conges ... exemptions
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I also saw that you could make a one off payment of £10 and so avoid the daily congestion charge
There's no exemption for EV's for the London Congestion Charge. You need to apply for the Cleaner Vehicle Discount (formerly the Ultra Low Emission Discount) but you will need to provide some documentation, and it can take some time. It costs £10 annually to register a vehicle on top of the £10 annual charge for a Congestion Charge account.
From 25 October 2021, the cleaner vehicle discount will change so that only battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are eligible. Then from 25 December 2025, the cleaner vehicle discount will be discontinued. From this date, all vehicle owners, unless in receipt of another discount or exemption, will need to pay to enter the Congestion Charge zone during charging hours.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

I'm visiting London at the start of Oct and applied for the discount on Saturday evening.. got approved yesterday as I provided a picture of my V5. I then spoke to someone via Twitter who confirmed that providing your registration has the discount applied, they'll do everything on their end meaning there will be no daily £15 charge. :)
Utumno wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:11 pm
I also saw that you could make a one off payment of £10 and so avoid the daily congestion charge
There's no exemption for EV's for the London Congestion Charge. You need to apply for the Cleaner Vehicle Discount (formerly the Ultra Low Emission Discount) but you will need to provide some documentation, and it can take some time. It costs £10 annually to register a vehicle on top of the £10 annual charge for a Congestion Charge account.
From 25 October 2021, the cleaner vehicle discount will change so that only battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are eligible. Then from 25 December 2025, the cleaner vehicle discount will be discontinued. From this date, all vehicle owners, unless in receipt of another discount or exemption, will need to pay to enter the Congestion Charge zone during charging hours.

FYI - to create a TFL account is free, well for me it was anyways. The only charge I've had to pay is the £10 for the annual discount however the only additional charge is when you set up auto pay which costs £10 by the looks of it.. however you shouldn't need to do this if your registration has the discount applied.
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.