VW Customer Services?????

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:01 pm
scott28tt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:49 am What have you been in contact with them about?
Yesterday I just wanted to know if they knew of any issues when trying to set a charging timer on the car. I realise some here have said that it's a bit flakey but I wanted the official line on it. Being a bit flakey doesn't cut it for me on a car in this price range.
I tried it once last week and it worked OK. I tried it last night and it first of all ignored the set timer and started to charge as soon as I plugged it in. So I then deleted the set timer and set a new one. This time it accepted it. But this morning I noticed that, although it charged, it had missed the time I had set for wanting the car to be ready, by an hour.
If I can remember the first issue I had, I will post back.

Those kind of behaviours have been reported here and elsewhere many times.

If you can schedule with your charger, just let the car handle the maximum % like it does anyway.

Ok, so not an official answer, but it definitely doesn’t work for many owners.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am VW customer services is next to useless. They should not be called customer services.

Most responses are, "take it to a dealer" and they forget to say you will be charged £70 for a diagnostics, even if you have already had one.
Charging for diagnostics is a rarity among the dealerships, charging for the courtesy cars when you have an issue is getting more common. One local dealership group charges, the other doesn't- guess which one I use?

In any case, for those that do charge for diagnostics, they only charge if an issue is not flagged - they can't charge you for doing the work to tell you that the car does have a fault that need fixing.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:29 pm
Cherry wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am VW customer services is next to useless. They should not be called customer services.

Most responses are, "take it to a dealer" and they forget to say you will be charged £70 for a diagnostics, even if you have already had one.
Charging for diagnostics is a rarity among the dealerships, charging for the courtesy cars when you have an issue is getting more common. One local dealership group charges, the other doesn't- guess which one I use?

In any case, for those that do charge for diagnostics, they only charge if an issue is not flagged - they can't charge you for doing the work to tell you that the car does have a fault that need fixing.
All VW dealers within 30 miles I called wanted to charge for a diagnostic before doing anything. They charge to plug in.
I would not repair at VW and their extortionate prices.

£2k for a mechatronic with 2 year warranty. I paid £750 with a 2 year warranty, The local Listers would not even quote. Known issue of accumulator cracking.
£1k for a EGR. I paid £400 for a Pierburg one fitted, privately. Premature failure due to dieselgate software update.

All repaired and sold and waiting for diselgate compensation (2022 trial)!

Since I ordered the ID.3 from a non-local dealer, I am asking for trouble. The local Listers would not even match the discount a Listers branch 10 miles away offered!
Ultimately, I have to collect 135 miles away. The difference was just too high. I was not willing to pay more than a £300 premium for a local deal.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Local independent using equivalent but unofficial parts is miles cheaper than a franchised dealer for a non-warranty repair? Shock horror! :lol:

Dealership labour rates around £80ph vs £30ph local independent, and access to competitively priced parts.

I would never pay dealership prices for a non-warranty repair, but I wouldn't be shocked at the price difference either. Those glossy premises, "free" flavia hot drinks and complimentary Biscoff biscuits have to be paid for somehow.

I had a 240 mile and 275 mile one way trip respectively for our 2 ID3s. One bought from Listeres Evesham and the other at Heritage Gloucester, then driven back up to Newcastle. Local dealerships couldn't get within £1200 of the Life and £2100 of the Family.

Generally fine not buying local for warranty, only becomes a PITA when you are dealing with a dealership that won't fight your corner with a potentially contentious claim like whiteworm on alloy wheels. You have more leverage with your supplying dealer as if warranty is refused, you fall back on your contract with the dealership you bought it from.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 pm Local independent using equivalent but unofficial parts is miles cheaper than a franchised dealer for a non-warranty repair? Shock horror! :lol:

Dealership labour rates around £80ph vs £30ph local independent, and access to competitively priced parts.
VW refused to state which brand the EGR was. OEM was either Wahler or Pierburg. VW price was over £600. Autodoc app was less than £180. Eurocarparts was over £500 and they price matched to Autodoc. Same official EGR same warranty and 3x price for parts from VW. Shock horror!
The local Listers branch wanted to change every single bolt and another Listers said it was not necessary.

£80/hour labour at VW? I think it is well over £100/hour + VAT.

I am sure the ID.3 will have may faults and errors. I guess someone will not notice them!

You had to charge on the way home!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 pm Local independent using equivalent but unofficial parts is miles cheaper than a franchised dealer for a non-warranty repair? Shock horror! :lol:

VW refused to state which brand the EGR was. OEM was either Wahler or Pierburg. VW price was over £600. Autodoc app was less than £180. Eurocarparts was over £500 and they price matched to Autodoc. Same official EGR same warranty and 3x price for parts from VW. Shock horror!
The local Listers branch wanted to change every single bolt and another Listers said it was not necessary.

£80/hour labour at VW? I think it is well over £100/hour + VAT.

I am sure the ID.3 will have may faults and errors. I guess someone will not notice them!

You had to charge on the way home!
Really don't get why you seem so surprised that non warranty repairs cost so much more at a dealership - far more expensive facilities and equipment to pay for, and the reassurance to some that they're the experts in fixing your car (they're really not, those technicians rarely know much more than the diagnostic equipment is telling them and showing them how to replace part X). You'd have to be nuts to pay dealership prices for repair work out of warranty. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone here for a number of years.

I did have to charge on the way home and learn quite quickly that fast AC charging is not fast on the ID3, go CCS. The CCS chargers can sometime be a bit fickle in connecting.

I've only done 5 rapid charges since ownership in May, 1 each on the 2 ID3s to get them home, and 3 more on 1 car during staycation travels.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I would never pay dealership prices for a non-warranty repair, but I wouldn't be shocked at the price difference either. Those glossy premises, "free" flavia hot drinks and complimentary Biscoff biscuits have to be paid for somehow.

I had a 240 mile and 275 mile one way trip respectively for our 2 ID3s. One bought from Listeres Evesham and the other at Heritage Gloucester, then driven back up to Newcastle. Local dealerships couldn't get within £1200 of the Life and £2100 of the Family.

Generally fine not buying local for warranty, only becomes a PITA when you are dealing with a dealership that won't fight your corner with a potentially contentious claim like whiteworm on alloy wheels. You have more leverage with your supplying dealer as if warranty is refused, you fall back on your contract with the dealership you bought it from.
Agreed about the labour rates. I never took my previous Ford to the main dealer but that was an ICE vehicle. How many independents know anything about EV vehicles, let alone have the right equipment. I think the VW dealerships have us over a barrel for the foreseeable future.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:14 am Agreed about the labour rates. I never took my previous Ford to the main dealer but that was an ICE vehicle. How many independents know anything about EV vehicles, let alone have the right equipment. I think the VW dealerships have us over a barrel for the foreseeable future.
Is there a need to service a car beyond the warranty period, especially if low mileage?
What is there to service in a EV?

My mum's petrol Yaris does 1.5k miles a year and has not been serviced for 5 years and always passes its MOT.
There is a cost benefit. Would the costs saved servicing pay for any repairs for not servicing? I say yes.
Same as my 30 year old boiler which has never been serviced and a new replacement has zero pay back.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am
Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:14 am Agreed about the labour rates. I never took my previous Ford to the main dealer but that was an ICE vehicle. How many independents know anything about EV vehicles, let alone have the right equipment. I think the VW dealerships have us over a barrel for the foreseeable future.
Is there a need to service a car beyond the warranty period, especially if low mileage?
What is there to service in a EV?

My mum's petrol Yaris does 1.5k miles a year and has not been serviced for 5 years and always passes its MOT.
There is a cost benefit. Would the costs saved servicing pay for any repairs for not servicing? I say yes.
Same as my 30 year old boiler which has never been serviced and a new replacement has zero pay back.
Definite need to service a car beyond warranty if you don't want to risk it breaking down unnecessarily- especially ICE. It's pretty risky to neglect an oil change for 5 years, even if you are only doing 1500 miles a year. Mileage is not the only determining factor in oil stability and ageing. Air filters can deteriorate Passing an MOT isn't a great indicator of condition beyond highlighting safety and emissions concerns, especially if the car is old enough to be exempt from many of the current emissions standards.

Boiler servicing? OK, you can get away with that on the older,unsophisticated boilers, as long as you ensure it's not working so inefficiently that it's producing CO rather than CO2 and the ducting ensures all exhaust gases are getting outside.

You might find though that despite the additional costs of servicing a modern condensing boiler, the improved efficiency more than pays that back.

With your attitudes to service neglect, I'm amazed you're paying out for a new car at all rather than running a 15 year old crap box on 10 year old oil until it stops working

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:49 am With your attitudes to service neglect, I'm amazed you're paying out for a new car at all rather than running a 15 year old crap box on 10 year old oil until it stops working
I usually buy a new and run it in to the ground. The ID.3 car is not for me. It's for my wife - a 1.6l diesel Golf DSG Match replacement (already sold privately for £1k more than Motorway). My BMW came with a 5 year service pack to force me to service it for 5 years. With a long life service it was more like 4 years (I was conned).

New boiler life tends to have a shorter life than old ones. The 10 year warranty costs £700 as one has to service it every year for it to be valid. Factors these costs every "gasman" confirmed that I have no pay back.

Assume £700/year gas bill. Assume new boiler is 25% more efficient. Saving per year = £175. Deduct £70 for service cost for new boiler = £105 saving to keep the boiler in warranty. Cost of new boiler install = £2600+. This takes over c25 years to recoup install cost if I service the new boiler.
Assume I do not service the new boiler. I still takes over 14 years to save £2600 install cost. But life of new boiler is estimated to be 10 years!
No realistic pay back. I prefer to pay extra fuel cost. Hardly £10 a month extra.
I have a CO monitor.

If schools taught children how to do an oil change, may be more people would do them it a regular basis. I am too old to go under a car now!

What is there to service in an EV? No oil.