Doom and Gloom

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
John_C

Post by John_C »

I ordered a Life PP at the beginning of July and was told not to expect delivery until November. I accepted that and if it came earlier I would be very happy. I have been browsing these pages since then and found them to helpful, friendly and very informative. I realise that a lot of new owners would post their problems here and in most cases received quick and useful replies. However, recently these pages seem to convey a lot of doom and gloom making people reconsider their ID 3 orders. There are probably a lot more satisfied ID 3 customers out there that are enjoying their cars and never have any serious issues. It would be nice to hear some of the light-hearted ‘adventures’ like Andreas trip to Italy to offset the despondent views about VW Customer Service, software updates, chip shortages an delivery times. These points are probably all valid but how about discussing some of the good things of the ID3. I'm still looking forward to getting my car regardless of the issues raised.

Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

I think it's partly due to the mood of the nation at the moment, pandemic, huge energy price increases, shortages of food, supply chain issues, building materials etc. etc. Also that is part of the function of this board, to reach out ask others their experiences and help and inform.

I decided to move from my Audi Hybrid Q5 to and ID3 last week, I agreed the deal on the monday and was due to pick up a used Family last Wednesday, I am still waiting for them to finish the 2.1 update. However I am undeterred and still looking forward to getting my car, it may take another week or more, but I am not changing my mind and staying positive despite the bad press on some of the posts.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi all
Since Friday I’ve traveled about 700 miles,
From home to Leicester then to Cambridgeshire and the Leicester Cambridgeshire another 4 times only using the BP 150 chargers at Breton in Peterborough,
And will probably return home on Saturday.
After all that I still love my car! It’s coped with everything and the ride is so good, I felt no fatigue or tiredness.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this car ❤️❤️
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

John,

I know how you feel - I only found this forum after placing my deposit and had my dark night of the soul! That being said, of all the forums I’ve come across this is one of the most constructive.

My experience after 2.5months ownership:

1. From the start it has been an enjoyable car to drive - easy to understand controls and plenty fast enough for overtaking. More immediate than an ICE.

2. The car came with a granny charger and charging with it is a doddle. The timed charging using location feature even worked without a hitch. I have since installed a wallbox and timed charging on it via wallbox app works perfect with a steady 50km/hr charging rate.

3. I’ve only had to use public chargers out of curiosity and no issues so far.

4. Apple CarPlay worked straight off and has been great for catching up on podcasts or trialing Apple and Google maps. Apple winning so far.

5. Though I haven’t tested it yet, the VW nav app does suggest when, where, and for how long you need to charge on a journey.

6. I’ve said this in another thread, but the extra isofix in the front seat makes a huge difference to me. It means the car is now being used for the 30km daily school runs. Also means our diesel MPV isn’t being used on short runs every day. The wife has now commandeered this ID3.

7. The driver assist functions are not perfect and I didn’t think I’d use them, but on balance I find driving is much safer with those features on. ACC has worked well for me.

8. I can understand the frustration with the WeConnect app as it feels like it should be able to do so much more but at least I can keep an eye on charge level on my phone.

So far, very happy with the purchase, and looking forward to trying a bit of a road trip…
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’ve had mine for more than 11 months now.

It’s seen every software version, I’ve reported 30-40 total issues to my dealer, it’s been back to them 4 times.

Every time it comes back it’s more reliable and responsive.

I have absolutely zero regrets.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

9 months of ownership, 18k km so far.

Problems: 1 (aircon), fixed
Software: better every release, minor irritants
Dealer: helpful, friendly, is also learning
The Drive: zazoom

Biggest issue now is who gets the key first to drive it.

Sold our two ICE cars, now only have the iD3, would never go back and have zero regrets, you will LOVE it.
rawws

Post by rawws »

Got email my id3 business performance pro moonstone getting delivered on Monday. I have no regrets, I test drove id3 back in April for 30mins and that was it i am never going back to an ICE car, major plus side was the ride comfort on motorway , the range , and the boot size etc , I had considered the kia soul ev nice car but the drive wasnt there and the boot space was too small.

Major points for me was ride quality , fast acceleration, roomy interior and still being practical car. even if it has the rumoured software issues etc most are over blown i wouldnt care as the car ticked my boxes.

Only negative is will never know why VW has steel wheels as standard on a 35k + car but dont care will replace the bland bin lid covers with oem black and silver ones which improves the look of the car without splashing on alloys.
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

No doom and gloom here. 9 months and 4,000 miles. Have had minor niggles but no more than I have had with previous new ICE cars.
Only dealer visit was 2.1 upgrade. I have had some great trips out although Im not a high miler.
First ever trip was driving the car back from Nottingham to Essex 170 miles on a Zero degree day in late December. Was very concerned about making it without a charge so dressed up warm and drove it back without the heater running for the most part, demisting screen on.
I left with a 100% and arrived home with 64 miles to spare. Since then 4 up we visited Bristol, Clifton and toured that part of the West Country, Cheddar, Mendiips, Gloucester. Charged twice on BP pulse 50kw at the hotel and back home without further charging.
I do around 5,000 miles a year or so and charge mainly on a granny that came with my car.
It does the job.
The car and driving experience is amazing.
I have just ordered another one, this time in white and hope to have that in Feb or March having taken advantage of the equity that I had in the car.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Ordered in August and estimated delivery date of January. No doom and gloom here though. It’s an exciting level of anticipation and although there was an initial disappointment, we knew what we were signing up for. It’s also exciting because it shows there’s a good level of demand for these cars (and electric cars in general). Plus we have an EV right now and lots of other things to be thankful for.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

Ive had my ID3 for 3 months now, travelled just over 8K miles and i love everything about it. I can honestly say ive had zero issues with my car. real world range is pretty close to what is advertised, i can quite comfortably do 240/250 miles with air con on and flowing with traffic.
I charge mostly at home but public charging hasnt been an issue either, always a charger free when ive tried and lots of free ones once you know where to go. Maybe ive just been lucky but i wouldnt hesitate in purchasing the car again.
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

I collected my Id3 on 29 June having ordered it on 11 June. I think I was lucky that they had a Max in the right colour. The salesperson put a lot of effort in getting me a good deal so that we could have Alloy wheels rather than the steel wheels with trims (VW, cheap, Alloys should be standard on a vehicle of this value!!!). Otherwise we would have had to order with delivery around now.
Infotainment controller failed after 3 weeks which was disappointing, but fixed faster than they said. All working fine now. Fitted mud flaps from Torque Alliance and footwell mats from carmats.co.UK.
Still working out consumption, miles available seems to drop rapidly on a long journey but overall seems to settle on an average of around 3.8miles per kWh so 220 mile range potentially.
I haven’t used a public charge point yet, manage with the granny charger though I do have a Zappi on order. Try to charge and make most of the power from my solar panels.
Likes: ACC, good acceleration, apple car play, quietness, keyless unlocking, keyless locking, under boot floor storage, space in the rear, 12v socket in the boot, phone charger.
Dislikes: Foot pedals (from a tank?), interior materials - lacks that real quality feel, wish the head rests folded.
Wish it had: leather seats, head rests that you could actually rest you head on, roof bar approval.

Would be interested to hear more of other peoples likes and dislikes.
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
rawws

Post by rawws »

Definitely the steel wheels on a 35k car is ridiculous even 15k car has alloys.
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I was happier having ACC, 100kw charging, auto dipping mirror, climate control, auto fold mirrors etc. etc.. as standard and having to pay extra for Alloy wheels if I wanted them...

Skoda obviously think differently and give the Enyaq alloys - but you have to pay for just above everything else as an extra :) At least if alloys are an extra you physically get something you pay for - rather than a software update!

Whilst alloys certainly look much nicer - I don't miss worrying about causing £200 of repair if I gently scrape a kerb whilst parallel parking...
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

John_C wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 pm I ordered a Life PP at the beginning of July and was told not to expect delivery until November. I accepted that and if it came earlier I would be very happy. I have been browsing these pages since then and found them to helpful, friendly and very informative. I realise that a lot of new owners would post their problems here and in most cases received quick and useful replies. However, recently these pages seem to convey a lot of doom and gloom making people reconsider their ID 3 orders. There are probably a lot more satisfied ID 3 customers out there that are enjoying their cars and never have any serious issues. It would be nice to hear some of the light-hearted ‘adventures’ like Andreas trip to Italy to offset the despondent views about VW Customer Service, software updates, chip shortages an delivery times. These points are probably all valid but how about discussing some of the good things of the ID3. I'm still looking forward to getting my car regardless of the issues raised.
Apart from some touch switch personal taste, I haven’t heard any serious issues here
Browsing other EV forums there seem to be far more complaints
It’s always been the nature of online forums that complainers dominate
I have had the car for 2 months and not only is it the best car I have ever had, it’s the most fun to drive
My real complaint is that I underestimated my mileage on my PCP as I didn’t realise how much me and my wife find excuses to drive it….
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Sticking with positive news, pleasantly surprised today when I was able to easily fit the uppababy vista kids buggy in the ID3 boot. In my previous hatchback I had to remove a buggy wheel.

04D29216-2FD6-49DF-BE6B-8F54C5A83D71.jpeg

Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Lets change the thread to Room and Boom 😊
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

I've had mine for just over 5 weeks and today was my long est journey, a 220 mile round trip, involving mainly the A27/A3/M25/M1 and the car is an absolute joy. I got back home with 15% charge left, and I'll take that.
A cracking car.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

StuartT wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:00 pm I've had mine for just over 5 weeks and today was my long est journey, a 220 mile round trip, involving mainly the A27/A3/M25/M1 and the car is an absolute joy. I got back home with 15% charge left, and I'll take that.
A cracking car.
Which battery do you have?
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Scratch wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:26 am
StuartT wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:00 pm I've had mine for just over 5 weeks and today was my long est journey, a 220 mile round trip, involving mainly the A27/A3/M25/M1 and the car is an absolute joy. I got back home with 15% charge left, and I'll take that.
A cracking car.
Which battery do you have?
I've got a 58kWh Life Pro.
Granted, I set the ACC at 60mph and didn't really go above that speed. (there were times, due to motorway traffic, when you can't even do 60mph though!)
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021