Car weight - passengers and range?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

How many out there regularly travel with 4 occupants? We just did a short 80 mile trip and it looks like the miles/KWh was 2.7. Admittedly, I did drive as I would in my old ICE car, so, aircon on, dual carriageways (not many) at 70 mph (+ a bit), using ACC most of the time. I think our last trip with 2 occupants, I was getting around 4 miles/KWh. Not complaining, just wondering out loud.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I do find that recirculation in conjunction with aircon works wonders, so the car isn't chucking out all of that freshly chilled air as soon as its made it.

2.7 miles per kWh is quite low if you're doing 70mph, but not unexpected if you're doing 85mph.

ACC isn't really going to cost you any fuel in use.

2.7 miles per kWh or 4 miles per kWh with 4 people...that difference will be more down to driving style and cruising soeed than the extra occupants. Adding 7-10% more weight in the form of another 2 adults is not going to be the cause of a 33% drop in fuel economy.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Compared to ICE I’ve also found headwinds and hills make a seemingly larger difference to consumption.

On my trnaspennine commute yesterday on the M62 I was down to 3.5 after going up to the highest point - and this was back up to 4 by the time I’d trundled down the hill into Manchester :)

But as Monkeyhanger said going faster likely makes the biggest difference.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

MotMot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 am Compared to ICE I’ve also found headwinds and hills make a seemingly larger difference to consumption.

Given the laws of physics, they would have made pretty much the same difference to your consumption on ICE too.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

True for overcoming resistance - but the physics of the pushing energy (the engine :) ) are different - or rather the efficiency is. For an electric motor is more or less flat from low rpm to high. For a turbo diesel it’s not…

(I think! Turbo diesels do seem to have an amazing ability to have a flat higher speed consumption. Eg drive everywhere at 80-90 is only 10-20 % worse than at 70… )
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

MotMot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 am Compared to ICE I’ve also found headwinds and hills make a seemingly larger difference to consumption.

On my trnaspennine commute yesterday on the M62 I was down to 3.5 after going up to the highest point - and this was back up to 4 by the time I’d trundled down the hill into Manchester :)

Hi MotNot
As a comparison I did your journey yesterday but mine was to Manchester and return in my Tiguan 2.0tdi 4 Motion and got these figures
To Manchester 45.6 mpg
Return 52.3 mpg
Both journeys using ACC set to 73mph where permittable (GPS speed was 70mph)
The only reason I can think of for the difference is the ambient temperature as VW diesels prefer warmer weather.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Newfie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 am

Hi MotNot
As a comparison I did your journey yesterday but mine was to Manchester and return in my Tiguan 2.0tdi 4 Motion and got these figures
To Manchester 45.6 mpg
Return 52.3 mpg
Both journeys using ACC set to 73mph where permittable (GPS speed was 70mph)
The only reason I can think of for the difference is the ambient temperature as VW diesels prefer warmer weather.
Been doing Manchester <> Hull once a week for several years... in a volvo 1.6 turbo diesel (pre iD3) and it nearly always levels up one way to the other... Though a headwind can make a 5mpg difference - its usually from the west... (i had little better to do on the journey than muse about this!)

Ideal speed/consumption in the iD3 seems about 70-75 with the ACC following a large van :) Whats mad about the EV - is how traffic can bring your trip average right back up again - instead of making it worse! Guess its all that regen!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

MotMot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:55 am
Been doing Manchester <> Hull once a week for several years... in a volvo 1.6 turbo diesel (pre iD3) and it nearly always levels up one way to the other... Though a headwind can make a 5mpg difference - its usually from the west... (i had little better to do on the journey than muse about this!)

Ideal speed/consumption in the iD3 seems about 70-75 with the ACC following a large van :) Whats mad about the EV - is how traffic can bring your trip average right back up again - instead of making it worse! Guess its all that regen!
Well my next exact same journey is not until early January so it will be interesting running my ID.3 (hopefully be delivered in November) runs in winter conditions.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I can let you know! Mon/tues I used 50 and 51% respectively (80% to 30%). Doing 70-75 mostly... 110 miles.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

MotMot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 am I can let you know! Mon/tues I used 50 and 51% respectively (80% to 30%). Doing 70-75 mostly... 110 miles.
Was any Air Con used within that journey?
So in theory I should be able to get 150 miles maybe a little less as the Tour is heavier in weather conditions similar to yesterday.
My each way mileage is 105 miles.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yup - AC both ways. TBH it doesnt make a big hit on the M/khw from my brief (3 month) ownership..
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Scratch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 am How many out there regularly travel with 4 occupants? We just did a short 80 mile trip and it looks like the miles/KWh was 2.7. Admittedly, I did drive as I would in my old ICE car, so, aircon on, dual carriageways (not many) at 70 mph (+ a bit), using ACC most of the time. I think our last trip with 2 occupants, I was getting around 4 miles/KWh. Not complaining, just wondering out loud.
2.7 is quite low. In the 2/3 months of ownership I have on average 3.8, but I generally try to drive smoothly and a lot at 40-60. My wife goes to work each morning in the car, it’s side roads and traffic all the way, around 8 miles each way. She likes accelerating but doesn’t get much chance. Her journeys are usually around 3.2.

We keep the air conditioning on all the time and the Radio. I haven’t found difference turning it off, perhaps 0.1, but others have different experiences.

Doing long distance between 40-70 with five occupants and full of suitcases still got around 3.8.

Two things I have noticed drain the battery rapidly, driving over 70, rapid accelerating. If I try to avoid these two I turn in much better figures.

In terms of distance, getting around 200 miles for 80% charge. However note the temperature here has been between 15 and 30 centigrade since we bought the car.

Lastly note we drive in B mode all the time. I find it has much more control, and hardly use the brakes compared to my last ICE car.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674