Warming the battery

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Another question if I may.
If you switch on the heating/air conditioning does that also warm the battery?

I gather that batteries function better, both in terms of delivering up their power and in taking on charge when they are being re-charged if they are warm. Some EVs I believe specifically prepare the battery if the car knows that you are about to charge it up. I can't see any sign that the ID.3 does this.

Is it a good idea to set the heating/air conditioning to run for 30' before you start to drive (always assuming that you are plugged in to the mains at the time), even if you don't feel the need to heat the cabin?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I've no idea Charles. I read an article by someone that owns an EV in Canada. He recommended trickle charge to keep the batter warm for good performance/range. I suppose it's something we'll all be thinking about soon. I once tried the cars 'reduced AC charging' because VW recommend using it for night charging, it is effectively a trickle charge. I'm not worried about the battery conditioning untill temp gets to freezing, I will then try air conditioning while the car is on a trickle charging. I think 30min A.C is plenty.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

LongMynd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:56 am Is it a good idea to set the heating/air conditioning to run for 30' before you start to drive (always assuming that you are plugged in to the mains at the time), even if you don't feel the need to heat the cabin?

This is a good idea to minimise consumption once you're unplugged, if you need maximum range for the drive you're about to start.