Increasing the range while driving

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Tom Dickan-Harry

Post by Tom Dickan-Harry »

I've often wondered when the brake lights kick in. I assume they're dependant on a certain deceleration amount, or pressing the brake pedal, rather than as soon as the regeneration mode kicks in?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 pm Not wishing to hijack the thread but slightly related. Using ACC and following another vehicle, I have noticed that the car seems to leave braking a lot later than if I was manually braking. I thought I had the distance set at the longest between vehicles but I might have missed a setting somewhere?
Oh yes, it does test one's nerve slightly.. Quite the polar opposite to the relaxed take off again..
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I actually had to reduce the ACC distance for motorway driving, as I found that the standard distance is so long that other drivers were constantly pulling into it.

I wonder whether that in terms of braking generally, perhaps there is a slight increase in regenerative braking efficiency through coasting for as long as possible to preserve momentum for a shorter, higher output regenerative gain? I.e the car knows how hard it can brake before having to use the physical brakes, and leaves braking just long enough to avoid having to do so?
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:16 pm
Daveion wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:08 pm I have tried B and D on a whole range of journeys and miles in different modes. B for me just has the edge on miles/kw but Im back with D on all drives because I enjoy it.
Im sure someone can dig out the braking figures of regen V friction but by observation when I brake in D, unless pressing hard, I brake at what looks like 100% from regen on the pedal which is why there is now little to choose between them.
My drive style in D is odd as well if I say so myself.
On long stretches of road if Im not in ACC I squirt the Go pedal gently rather than look for a steady position. The result is more coasting. It sound daft but it seems to enhance economy and is not noticeable as the change in velocity is so small.
My cousin used to use your “squirt the go pedal” style, in his (awful) Range Rover. I am a good traveller and passenger but it made me feel sick.
😂 trust me. My Wife who is hyper critical of my driving has not even noticed.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Tom Dickan-Harry wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:01 pm I've often wondered when the brake lights kick in. I assume they're dependant on a certain deceleration amount, or pressing the brake pedal, rather than as soon as the regeneration mode kicks in?

They depend on the level of braking force being applied, whether by regen or the discs/drums.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:38 pm I actually had to reduce the ACC distance for motorway driving, as I found that the standard distance is so long that other drivers were constantly pulling into it.

Me too for the same reason.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

digital wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:40 am
Andreas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:33 pm
digital wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm Unless I'm missing something, I can't see how regen can be different between D and B. Assuming that the braking needed doesn't involve friction and that the car is being slowed from the same higher speeds to the same lower speeds, then the conversion of the vehicle's kinetic energy into potential energy in the battery must be the same.
The difference as I understand it is that the car does not brake when you get off the accelerator in D, it just continues to roll out with no recovery. In B it immediately starts regen.

All the best

Andreas
That's true but regen is about slowing the car so after coasting in D it's necessary to use the brake. Doing so will provide regen and the amount will be the same as would be provided by allowing B to slow the car as the kinetic energy to be converted must be the same in both cases.
That's only true if there is zero rolling resistance. In reality you will have lost energy due to rolling resistance while the car is coasting.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

It seems we have many electro mechanical engineers here :D
VW says that B mode enhances the regenerative braking. I believe them. It certainly shows out in battery usage for me and others who have commented here
Driving is preference though. Some people like the simulated free rolling nature on D. I find B much better for control, D seems to me now as less control.#
I would even support a additional much more heavy B mode, with almost single pedal driving ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I change between B and D depending on how I want the car to drive in a particular driving situation.
I found the best way to increase range is to kick the passengers out Lol
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Hambagahle

Post by Hambagahle »

I am new to EV driving and live in the Alps. I have discovered that even a mild downhill slope will generate a lot of electricity when driving in B mode. On a steep slope it is dramatic. Example - I drove to Chamonix (45km each way and 3 passes). And then back. At the end I had used 30km of storage. For 90km of usage. Remarkable! Roundabouts (we have thousands of them here) also help a lot when in B.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Hambagahle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:45 am I am new to EV driving and live in the Alps. I have discovered that even a mild downhill slope will generate a lot of electricity when driving in B mode. On a steep slope it is dramatic. Example - I drove to Chamonix (45km each way and 3 passes). And then back. At the end I had used 30km of storage. For 90km of usage. Remarkable! Roundabouts (we have thousands of them here) also help a lot when in B.
You'll get the same level of regen in D but will need to physically press the pedal, it's fun to see the numbers, unfortunately you will never recoup as much energy as you will use to get up the hills on the return trip but it's a nice bonus. I live up a hill from most of my destinations, though not quite Alp standard .. :lol: and yesterday on one of the occasional trips I do, at the end point (Sea level) I had driven 3 miles at an average of 23mph and had -84.0 mi/kWh consumption. Unfortunatley the return trip (approx 1000ft elevation) soon had the dash reading 3.7 mi/kWh
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If I want the car to drive like I've left a manual handbrake on by accident, I'll drive in B mode. :lol:

I never drive in B mode.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

:D
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 pm If I want the car to drive like I've left a manual handbrake on by accident, I'll drive in B mode. :lol:

I never drive in B mode.
😂 it can feel like that can't it. I spend weeks on end driving in D and then for no reason spend weeks driving in B. I like both.
Doesn't matter how hard I try to anticipate traffic and feathering the brake for best regen in D I can never equal the return/kW I get in B without any effort. Been in B since May first and long term average is 4.7 miles/kW.
As an aside. I think the discs don't get cleaned up a lot in B. Last week in a jam on a hill I decended in N which meant braking was all disc. By the time I reached the bottom the noise from the discs had changed noticeably and the brake felt sharper.
Easy to repeat on a quiet hill.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:24 pm :D
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 pm If I want the car to drive like I've left a manual handbrake on by accident, I'll drive in B mode. :lol:

I never drive in B mode.
😂 it can feel like that can't it. I spend weeks on end driving in D and then for no reason spend weeks driving in B. I like both.
Doesn't matter how hard I try to anticipate traffic and feathering the brake for best regen in D I can never equal the return/kW I get in B without any effort. Been in B since May first and long term average is 4.7 miles/kW.
As an aside. I think the discs don't get cleaned up a lot in B. Last week in a jam on a hill I decended in N which meant braking was all disc. By the time I reached the bottom the noise from the discs had changed noticeably and the brake felt sharper.
Easy to repeat on a quiet hill.
I Don't think B mode regen is any better for regen than D, both will decelerate to 0.25g without actually braking, the mode of activation is just different. In B mode you're carefully modulating the accelerator trying harder to modulate speed, and in D mode you're carefully modulating the brake. I do well over 90% of my "braking" in the regen zone of the green bar as I've always had a "preserve your momentum by coming off the accelerator earlier and braking less/later" style of driving, and I'm more efficient in D mode than B mode - better to not waste anything than waste quite a bit, but recover 70% of that waste. I do think B does help mitigate losses for a driving style that would prove inefficient with an ICE car that has no refen system.

Unless the brake pads are made out of butter, I could see mine lasting 100k miles if I kept the car that long.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Off the D/B mode topic, what are people's views on the effect of ACC on efficiency? I've been using it the vast majority of the time since I got my car, but I'm coming to the view that it affects efficiency quite badly by always trying to maintain a constant distance to the car in front without an ability to see beyond that. There are many instances when seeing ahead you can brake earlier, therefore not actually have to stop or slow down as much as ACC would before traffic in front moves off again. Also instances where I would be happy to close the gap a bit knowing that the car in front is about to accelerate or is turning off but ACC slows right down and then has to speed up again.
So basically what I'm thinking is that I might gain quite a bit on efficiency by turning ACC off.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

sidehaas wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:14 pm Off the D/B mode topic, what are people's views on the effect of ACC on efficiency? I've been using it the vast majority of the time since I got my car, but I'm coming to the view that it affects efficiency quite badly by always trying to maintain a constant distance to the car in front without an ability to see beyond that. There are many instances when seeing ahead you can brake earlier, therefore not actually have to stop or slow down as much as ACC would before traffic in front moves off again. Also instances where I would be happy to close the gap a bit knowing that the car in front is about to accelerate or is turning off but ACC slows right down and then has to speed up again.
So basically what I'm thinking is that I might gain quite a bit on efficiency by turning ACC off.
I find that on a busy dual carriageway or motorway the ACC works well slowing and accelerating but I agree that this is less efficient than driving in B or D without ACC. In those traffic conditions allowing the gap to the car in front vary and not accelerating so hard to maintain a gap when the queue speeds up works well. In those conditions I drive in B and that returns the best efficiency for me.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Try using eco mode with the ACC. It’s les aggressive at speeding up and slowing down.

It’s funny - sometimes I’m sure I can tell when the car in front changes gear when following on ACC 😁
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:56 pm Try using eco mode with the ACC. It’s les aggressive at speeding up and slowing down.

It’s funny - sometimes I’m sure I can tell when the car in front changes gear when following on ACC 😁
I find that even in ECO mode, the effect can still be quite aggressive. Even with the largest distance set to the car in front, it still leaves it late to decide when to slow down and in some situations, I will intervene and use the brakes, as I don't trust it to stop.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 am
MotMot wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:56 pm Try using eco mode with the ACC. It’s les aggressive at speeding up and slowing down.

I find that even in ECO mode, the effect can still be quite aggressive. Even with the largest distance set to the car in front, it still leaves it late to decide when to slow down and in some situations, I will intervene and use the brakes, as I don't trust it to stop.
I find that as well Scratch. When you are in busy traffic that is stop start but maybe 60mph when it does move ( busy MWay ) it's best to switch ACC off and drive in B.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Busman

Post by Busman »

Has anyone tried using B mode without ACC and slightly lifting your foot off the accelerator.I have found that the regen is quite impressive .