Timed Charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
eeperman

Post by eeperman »

Morning all,

Is there an idiot's guide to Timed Charging anywhere? I have set up a "home" charging location and asked the car to be charged to 80% by 0750 when we leave the house. Generally it has worked fine although it is usually only at 76-78% when we get in the car. However, this morning it was only at 50% despite being plugged in all night. I checked that the green light flashed when I plugged it in and popped my head outside at about 10pm last night to see a green pulsing light indicating that it was charging. We are charging using a 3 pin charging cable (Zappi is due to arrive in a few weeks) and I have preferred hours set to 0030-0430 to match the Octopus Go cheap energy hours, but my understanding is that these are just preferred hours and the car should still charge outside these hours if it considers it necessary to reach the desired 80% charge by departure time.

Maybe I am just old and grumpy, but I really feel that this car could do with a proper manual - swiping my way through an online manual just doesn't cut it for me!

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

hear you about the manual

I have no idea why, as I never use the car timer, but the granny charger is very slow and it depends when you plug it in. It will stop at 7:50 if you set it in the car. Probably stops at whatever the charge level is. I found the granny charger takes 8-11 hours to give me 40-50%

I do everything through the zappi now. Great system, slightly confusing user interface but once used ot it its very easy. you will definitely need to read the online manual on that one, and also there are some good youtube videos on setting it. I find that between 12:30 and 4:30 using the zappi, on 7.2kw charge, I can get from 20% to around 76%

best of luck!
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

eeperman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:15 am Morning all,

Is there an idiot's guide to Timed Charging anywhere? I have set up a "home" charging location and asked the car to be charged to 80% by 0750 when we leave the house. Generally it has worked fine although it is usually only at 76-78% when we get in the car. However, this morning it was only at 50% despite being plugged in all night. I checked that the green light flashed when I plugged it in and popped my head outside at about 10pm last night to see a green pulsing light indicating that it was charging. We are charging using a 3 pin charging cable (Zappi is due to arrive in a few weeks) and I have preferred hours set to 0030-0430 to match the Octopus Go cheap energy hours, but my understanding is that these are just preferred hours and the car should still charge outside these hours if it considers it necessary to reach the desired 80% charge by departure time.

Maybe I am just old and grumpy, but I really feel that this car could do with a proper manual - swiping my way through an online manual just doesn't cut it for me!
Might well be the temps. Granny lead is about 2.5-3kw - and your car will think 80% buy 8 am at that rate. But if the battery heater kicks in from time to time (taking/using 1.5kw itself) then you'll only get 50-60% charge... just a hypothesis..
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Agree with MotMot but also that the location/timed charging from the car is very unreliable, I'd not recommend using it. I only use the granny charger when it's sunny, aka free. That rate of charge is slow, so slow...
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Better to use the timer on your charger, and delete the "location" set on the car.

Printing a 60-page read me manual is more environmentally friendly than 400 pages of full manual which will get outdated over time anyway.
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Still waiting for my Podpoint so I am relying on a three pin plug (alias Granny charger) and the car's own timer controls which really are pretty awful.
I have only twice managed a full four hour charge a 2kW (with occasional flashes of 2.5) to match our Octopus Go tariff. That was achieved by setting preferred times as 00.30-04.30 and no depart time. I plugged the lead in at about 18.00 but at 23.00 I went to the car, unplugged it and plugged it in again. because...
When I left the lead plugged in from 18.00 it charged at 2kW but only started sometime after 01.00 and some kind poster on here suggested that the car might go to sleep and take a bit of time to realise it was meant to be charging!!!

When I had preferred time set and also a departure time of 09.00 it charged at a pathetically slow rate and not for the whole night.

When I had preferred time set and set a departure time for 04.30 it charged at 1kW from 22.00 till I stopped it at 07.30.

In the short term it seems the the best I can do is:
If I don't need a full battery, use preferred time, no departure time and plug in the lead as late as I can in the evening.
If I do need a full battery, delete preferred time and probably set only the target % battery charge level.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them, and in the meantime I wish Podpoint would get a move on.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

In your shoes, and without any input from Mrs Utumno (whose legendary OCD scuppered my original home charger plan) I’d probably do this:

* Put an Ohme Home Pro in instead of the Podpoint (ie sack Podpoint off)
* Order a reduced price Ohme Go (3 pin granny version) using your Octopus discount
* EBay your existing granny charger to offset the cost a bit
* Negotiate a bit of a bargain as you’re buying two chargers from Ohme, not one
* Arrange for immediate delivery of the Ohme granny, then schedule everything in there so it max charges in your “Go” window
* Remove all the car locations and settings, except for the 80% charge ceiling
* Switch to the Home Pro from the Go when it’s installed

This means at least it all works and all the charger timing settings etc are all in the same app, regardless of which (home/granny) charger you’re using at any given time.

Appreciate there’s a £££ penalty here but your situation is the kind of thing that would drive me round the bend in under a day 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

LongMynd wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 am Still waiting for my Podpoint so I am relying on a three pin plug (alias Granny charger) and the car's own timer controls which really are pretty awful.
I have only twice managed a full four hour charge a 2kW (with occasional flashes of 2.5) to match our Octopus Go tariff. That was achieved by setting preferred times as 00.30-04.30 and no depart time. I plugged the lead in at about 18.00 but at 23.00 I went to the car, unplugged it and plugged it in again. because...
When I left the lead plugged in from 18.00 it charged at 2kW but only started sometime after 01.00 and some kind poster on here suggested that the car might go to sleep and take a bit of time to realise it was meant to be charging!!!

When I had preferred time set and also a departure time of 09.00 it charged at a pathetically slow rate and not for the whole night.

When I had preferred time set and set a departure time for 04.30 it charged at 1kW from 22.00 till I stopped it at 07.30.

In the short term it seems the the best I can do is:
If I don't need a full battery, use preferred time, no departure time and plug in the lead as late as I can in the evening.
If I do need a full battery, delete preferred time and probably set only the target % battery charge level.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them, and in the meantime I wish Podpoint would get a move on.
I am in your position.
I do everything from the phone app.
I plug in at no particular time. The car starts charging immediately so press stop charge.
I then start the charge from the phone app when I go up to bed. For me that works as Its around midnight.
I limit the charge to the nearest 20% above bat status as in 4 hours thats about what I get from the granny. I can stop and sart the charge from the app. Its been really well behaved.
I have no ussue with Red port lights or failures.
It just fits nicely with my sleep routine.
Im also struggling with pod point.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

There are loads of threads on this issue.

• In the ID3 software versions 2.1-2.3 timed charging is broken, it just doesn't work reliably if at all
  • Delete all locations/timed charges in the car schedule and just use the car to charge to your desired battery level (VW recommend 80% for everyday driving)
  • Use your EV Chargers timer to set your schedule
  • Plug in and ignore the ID3 charge port red light if it comes on
If your charger doesn't support timed charging or the car doesn't charge to your schedule, then you have a charger issue as well.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Splitty wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:33 am
  • In the ID3 software versions 2.1-2.3 timed charging is broken, it just doesn't work reliably if at all

2.0-2.3