Speed vs Battery Consumption

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Anduain wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:27 pm Apart from the first 3 weeks of ownership I've driven normally. I feel very unsafe on motorways driving at 50/60, especially here.

You very quickly get to learn your car/drives so the "splash and dash" approach :D is exactly how we drive too.
Why is that?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Driving in Spain there's little to no lane discipline, you can find yourself flanked quiet easily, as there is no "slow lane", so if you're in it you'll find yourself braking to 40/50 when you get cut off by some lorry or van floating around jumping between lanes for that extra 3 seconds of time saved.

Once you're at 70 or 80, you're in a safer place.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Anduain wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 pm Driving in Spain there's little to no lane discipline, you can find yourself flanked quiet easily, as there is no "slow lane", so if you're in it you'll find yourself braking to 40/50 when you get cut off by some lorry or van floating around jumping between lanes for that extra 3 seconds of time saved.

Once you're at 70 or 80, you're in a safer place.
There's no "slow lane" in the UK either. It's just people who live in the other lanes who believe that there is. Generally speaking, if you are a solid defensive driver, you can anticipate being blocked in - it shouldn't really happen unless someone is slowing down to do it intentionally. I quite often zoom off at 70+ if I need to put some distance between myself and a driver I consider to be an accident waiting to happen.

70 is generally more dangerous in the UK, as you'll find you're too slow for the 3rd lane (on a 3 lane motorway), and either too fast for traffic overtaking into the 2nd lane, or too slow for MLMs belting along at 80 in the 2nd (middle) lane. According to the rules of the road, everyone should be in lane 1 unless overtaking or otherwise following lane limitations - if you set a fixed speed that is more than towing or 7.5t vehicles are legally allowed to do, you will either become a MLM or do a lot of unnecessary lane changes.

The general idea is not to take absolutes, and drive at a speed that is as safe as possible for the conditions (including the number of and behaviour of other vehicles).
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

? MLM

Urban dictionary says this is "An acronym that stands for male loves male, muslim lives matter, and multi-level-marketing."
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Middle Lane Moron?
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Oh, and please don’t leave a safe gap between you and the car in front. That’s an invite for at least 2 cars to swerve in 😀😀
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Anduain wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:55 pm Oh, and please don’t leave a safe gap between you and the car in front. That’s an invite for at least 2 cars to swerve in 😀😀
I can remember driving in the Netherlands a few years and I have an abiding memory of how much better their lane discipline was compared to the UK. I've only ridden a rental motorbike, in Spain, and that was so long ago I've forgotten any details...
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021