ID3 impressions (as a family car)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Hey everyone, so I’ve seen a lot of reviews of the ID3 online but hadn’t come across anyone that used it as a family car.

I decided to hire one for a week for our family where we did a 40 mile trip (70% motorway) and a 250 mile round trip (90% motorway). I thought it might be useful to share how it went. I've also previously rented an ID4 and Enyaq (each for 1 week) so will compare to those where appropriate.

Here's my thoughts on the ID3 1st Edition. I'll start with my biggest concerns before getting into the car (passenger space, boot space and range).

First the good stuff:

- Decent amount of passenger space inside. 2 adults at front and 2 young kids at the back in car seats. I've only owned hatchbacks myself and currently drive a Hyundai Ioniq so it definitely felt more roomy compared to those.
- I'm 6 foot 1 and had enough leg and headroom inside, even with a bulky car seat behind me. Also, I didn't really "get it" when people said this car is big inside until I compared it to saloons like the Audi A4 in which the rear passenger space looked cramped in comparison.
- Managed to just about fit a large Silver Cross pushchair and a large suitcase, as well as a few smaller bags. Would've liked the boot to have been slightly longer but it still does the job, particularly given the interior space is generous enough. Also I like that the boot door is light and easy to open and close. The ID4 and Enyaq boot doors are really heavy in comparison.
- Range: this is where the car really surprised me in a good way. I managed 4.3 kWh per mile on the first day doing a 40 mile journey in the car - giving a range of 261 miles. Then on the 250 mile motorway round trip doing 65/70mph, it averaged 3.8 kWh - giving a range of 220 miles. Weather was 15-18 degrees and we had A/C on most of the time. This was better than I expected, especially considering it was nearing the range of the ID4 and Enyaq with the bigger battery (appreciate ofc that it's a smaller/lighter car!).
- The ISO fix points are really good. Much easier to see where the connectors are compared with many cars which hide them underneath the seat cushion. Front ISO fix is a big plus (not many hatchbacks I've seen have this) as are the connector covers.
- The middle arm rest folds down but stops at a decent height which makes it easier for kids to reach
- Quite comfortable to drive even after a 2 hour journey, short break and then another 1.5 hours.
- The ride height feels great and almost SUV-like (without the inefficiencies a larger car can bring). This is especially helpful when trying to get kids into their car seats.
- My wife and I both liked the stop sign recognition - it's really useful as is the car slowing down at roundabouts/bends
- The armrests are underrated and whilst the airplane criticism is true, I find they're better than a centre console that cannot be adjusted.
- I like that when you push the charge port door, it opens out and up (also pretty much by itself). Also not having to faff around with a charge port cover is great.
- The lights "waking up" when you approach is a nice touch. The touch sensitive interior lights are great
- Infotainment system does the job. I only used the "Vehicle" and "App Connect/CarPlay" features though
- Love the ability to swap out the cupholders!
- Phone slot + light and the extra phone space is useful! Nice to be able to charge 2 phones at once and keep things organised inside the central storage bin.
- Acceleration and RWD :shock: it's definitely the most fun I've had driving a car (the ID4 wasn't quite as fun and the Enyaq was too heavy).

The bad stuff:

- Not a fan of the touch controls on the steering wheel and would much prefer physical buttons (even the ones on the Ioniq are nicer). Also I don't understand why volume isn't controlled with up/down instead of left to right but maybe this is just the norm for VW cars (it's our first).
- Sliders are silly. The Enyaq only has 1 slider for volume control which I feel is enough of a compromise. 3 sliders in the ID3 is a bit much. Instead they could've gone with the single volume slider in the middle and touch sensitive buttons (plus/minus) on each side for the climate.
- Driver screen feels a little small and bare? It's also missing features I'd expect like displaying the wiper setting (when you change it), showing what song is playing now etc. There's even empty space underneath and above the lane assist/speed/nav sections where this info could go.
- A quick tap on the "Rear" button didn't always work for me? I sometimes had to press it a couple of times or push down harder to get it to register. Maybe this is by design?
- Would've been nice to have a slightly longer boot. It feels small but this is probably just because the interior passenger space of the car is bigger than it looks.
- Glove box is tiny! Why couldn't they move the fuse box?!
- The headrest is disappointing and just feels like cheap plushy plastic. It would have been nice if the car could be specced with an upgraded interior and nicer seats (mainly headrest).
- Wing mirrors look stylish when they're closed but that motor that rotates them is awfully loud... The ID4 and Enyaq are much quieter (they use a different mechanism though)
- Appreciate having 2 USB C ports in the rear but I would've traded them for air vents (3yo and 6mo won't be charging anything any time soon lol)

It seems like there's a lot of bad but much of this is nitpicking. Overall, I found the ID3 to suit our family use case quite well (at least from this week's experience) and I'm very much looking forward to receiving our car!

If you're interested in getting this as a family car or have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
Thanks that’s a really good review , looking forward to hearing more from you.
I’m usually a solo driver but have had to do a few long trips with passengers and overall they were comfortable only niggle from them was being cold in the rear.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Hi,

We went with 5 of us (3 kids, 18, 16 and 8) around north wales and north UK and it was perfect. The interior space is like a tardis

To address your issues:
- Not a fan of the touch controls on the steering wheel and would much prefer physical buttons (even the ones on the Ioniq are nicer). Also I don't understand why volume isn't controlled with up/down instead of left to right but maybe this is just the norm for VW cars (it's our first).
We much prefer touch controls after getting used to them. Also no switching gear to break. There was a miss where VW didnt illuminate volume controls.
- Driver screen feels a little small and bare? It's also missing features I'd expect like displaying the wiper setting (when you change it), showing what song is playing now etc. There's even empty space underneath and above the lane assist/speed/nav sections where this info could go.
Yes, there could be more info. On the other hand, many cars like Tesla dont even have driver screen, and we like that it only has the important info
- A quick tap on the "Rear" button didn't always work for me? I sometimes had to press it a couple of times or push down harder to get it to register. Maybe this is by design?
Remember, keep down and it will flash, and then you can move all four windows at the same time ;)
- Would've been nice to have a slightly longer boot. It feels small but this is probably just because the interior passenger space of the car is bigger than it looks.
Thats ID4 vs ID3. we actualy came to buy an ID4 but came out with an ID3, due to the interior space. The times we need lots of suitcases are only to the airport where we can take an uber as a whole family. I do want to find a way to fit my roof box eventually ....
- Glove box is tiny! Why couldn't they move the fuse box?!
- The headrest is disappointing and just feels like cheap plushy plastic. It would have been nice if the car could be specced with an upgraded interior and nicer seats (mainly headrest).
I was very disappointed no leather seats. Not all EV drivers are vegans! It is an issue with other manufacturers as well unfortunately. The interior grows on you, people I take for a drive says its very smart and high tech. Younger people tend to like it more ....
- Wing mirrors look stylish when they're closed but that motor that rotates them is awfully loud... The ID4 and Enyaq are much quieter (they use a different mechanism though)
In the broad scheme of things, I like the spaceship noise :D
- Appreciate having 2 USB C ports in the rear but I would've traded them for air vents (3yo and 6mo won't be charging anything any time soon lol)
That is what put us off the Enyaq, apart from the dreadful Faux grill. i.e. everything is an extra, even rear USBs. By the time I had specced it out it was the same price as the Audi Q4 ....
Last edited by colonelpurple on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

rikimaru wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 am
The bad stuff:

- Driver screen feels a little small and bare? It's also missing features I'd expect like displaying the wiper setting (when you change it),
Sorry, This one's thrown me a bit, what cars have a display on the dash to show you your windscreen wiper settings?
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Fantastic write-up rikimaru. Really appreciate the time and thought spent in this. Will no doubt help others in a similar situation.
G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am
The bad stuff:

- Driver screen feels a little small and bare? It's also missing features I'd expect like displaying the wiper setting (when you change it),
Sorry, This one's thrown me a bit, what cars have a display on the dash to show you your windscreen wiper settings?
Ioniq and e-Niro. Even the e-Corsa. Think it’s a general point that it could be used for more things such as confirmation of settings that aren’t in the infotainment. I agree in that it’s slightly basic compared to everything else but can’t have everything!
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

metcast wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:07 am Fantastic write-up rikimaru. Really appreciate the time and thought spent in this. Will no doubt help others in a similar situation.
The bad stuff:

Ioniq and e-Niro. Even the e-Corsa. Think it’s a general point that it could be used for more things such as confirmation of settings that aren’t in the infotainment. I agree in that it’s slightly basic compared to everything else but can’t have everything!

Wow if ever there was something I've never felt the need to have, wait I'll stop looking through the windscreen and the actual windscreen wipers and check on the dashboard to see if they are working?

I agree the binnacle (is it a binnacle) display is sparse, Battery Percentage would be better than the symbol we get. I haven't seen it so much on here or lately but a while ago people were insisting they needed Battery temperature added to the display to which I thought, why? Now you know the temperature what do you do, you can't alter it via any form of settings or controls. It's managed by the car. Personally I only want to see information I can do something about and that is useful.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:44 am
metcast wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:07 am Fantastic write-up rikimaru. Really appreciate the time and thought spent in this. Will no doubt help others in a similar situation.

Wow if ever there was something I've never felt the need to have, wait I'll stop looking through the windscreen and the actual windscreen wipers and check on the dashboard to see if they are working?

I agree the binnacle (is it a binnacle) display is sparse, Battery Percentage would be better than the symbol we get. I haven't seen it so much on here or lately but a while ago people were insisting they needed Battery temperature added to the display to which I thought, why? Now you know the temperature what do you do, you can't alter it via any form of settings or controls. It's managed by the car. Personally I only want to see information I can do something about and that is useful.
Hey, no need for the sarcasm! It's not whether they're operating or not, it's to confirm the actual setting they're at. For example, when I'm driving I usually set it to auto but will increase the speed if the rain picks up.

Most cars nowadays will tell you which setting you've changed it to in the driver display but in the ID3/ID4 you have to "guess" based on how far up/down the stick is. Maybe it requires a level of skill and I'll learn to master how to gently nudge it into the right position, like some sort of stick whisperer.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Warminster id wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:17 am Hi
Thanks that’s a really good review , looking forward to hearing more from you.
I’m usually a solo driver but have had to do a few long trips with passengers and overall they were comfortable only niggle from them was being cold in the rear.
Exactly that really. My 3yo complained it was cold despite putting the fans on full blast. Takes a little longer to get to the back than if there were rear vents.

Appreciate it and will share more once I get the car! Hope you've been enjoying yours :)
colonelpurple wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:42 am Hi,

We went with 5 of us (3 kids, 18, 16 and 8) around north wales and north UK and it was perfect. The interior space is like a tardis

To address your issues:
Maybe we will get used to it - either way I don't have a choice :lol:

As for the Tesla, to be fair they do a much better job of using the space on that single, albeit much larger screen!

Enyaq should really have taken a leaf out of the ID3/ID4 book and given a few default trims to select from.
Thanks, glad it was useful!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

rikimaru wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 pm
Hey, no need for the sarcasm! It's not whether they're operating or not, it's to confirm the actual setting they're at. For example, when I'm driving I usually set it to auto but will increase the speed if the rain picks up.

Most cars nowadays will tell you which setting you've changed it to in the driver display but in the ID3/ID4 you have to "guess" based on how far up/down the stick is. Maybe it requires a level of skill and I'll learn to master how to gently nudge it into the right position, like some sort of stick whisperer.
Apologies if that offends you, the whole write up is an excellent insight for new and upcoming owners and I hope people read and find insight from it. I think the debate over the haptic controls will rage on, I like them and the sliders.
I don't get the 'miss' in not lighting the controls, I really have no issue with what does what even in the dark. I think most agree that more options for the small screen would be nice. I just don't think you're example would be in my Top10 or even TOP100.

I just see wipers as something very obviously visible and the settings for them make themselves evident in their behaviour. I would notice my wipers being on because they were moving across the screen before I noticed an indicator on the dash telling me the same, likewise if they were moving faster or slower. Having a sensor for that function is just another repair bill when you get a warning because the sensor has failed despite the wipers functioning normally.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

The bad stuff:

We get confirmation messages re wiper status in the 3D i-cockpit on the Peugeot e 208 our other EV
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

“ Appreciate it and will share more once I get the car! Hope you've been enjoying yours :)
I am definitely enjoying my car I’ve done 8000 miles so far and it’s so relaxing and enjoyable to drive , I did a 185 mile trip got 2.5 hours sleep while it charged and drove back another 185 miles and felt absolutely fine.
As I’ve mentioned before in my other posts my only problem is the ventilation system.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

What cars have you been driving? I've never seen the wiper setting displayed on a long line of VAG cars I've owned, Fords, Jags, Toyota, Hondas my friends and colleagues drive.

With most cars having auto wipers these days, you'd generally expect to be in that setting. It's also patently obvious whether the wipers are working effectively or require adjustment. There's a slider switch on the stalk for sensitivity adjustment, so there's almost no need to be out of auto (auto with 1 down from highest sensitivity is all you need for all but the lightest of drizzle). Being able to see what setting you are on seems redundant/superfluous info I'd rather not see..
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Rikimaru, thanks for the post.

We have 3 small kids and the ID3 has been great, especially the 3 isofix provided. If you look back through threads you’ll find some more posts with a few photos - search isofix.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to write and post it. Solid observations too.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm
What cars have you been driving? I've never seen the wiper setting displayed on a long line of VAG cars I've owned, Fords, Jags, Toyota, Hondas my friends and colleagues drive.

With most cars having auto wipers these days, you'd generally expect to be in that setting. It's also patently obvious whether the wipers are working effectively or require adjustment. There's a slider switch on the stalk for sensitivity adjustment, so there's almost no need to be out of auto (auto with 1 down from highest sensitivity is all you need for all but the lightest of drizzle). Being able to see what setting you are on seems redundant/superfluous info I'd rather not see..
People seem to be really offended by this wiper thing. The bigger point was that the driver screen could do more than have 3 types of static screens. I've driven many cars and would agree.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I agree here...I leave the wipers on auto and let them do their thing.

I did spot a bit of penny pinching though...the 'auto' position on the wiper stalk is labelled as 'int' - can you even buy a VW without automatic wipers any more?!

The wiper stalk operates the opposite way round to the stalk on every other VAG car I've driven (unless I'm going mad) which suggests that it's a fairly modern part.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:30 pm

I agree here...I leave the wipers on auto and let them do their thing.

I did spot a bit of penny pinching though...the 'auto' position on the wiper stalk is labelled as 'int' - can you even buy a VW without automatic wipers any more?!

The wiper stalk operates the opposite way round to the stalk on every other VAG car I've driven (unless I'm going mad) which suggests that it's a fairly modern part.
You can change in the settings whether this position is Int or Automatic
VW figure you won’t want one if you use the other
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ve also never driven a car that displays the wiper setting on the screen. It’s certainly not a feature on any of the cars I own (Porsche, BMW, and VW). I do agree that the drivers screen could be more configurable though. If you’ve got a car with the augmented reality HUD, then you’ve essentially for 3 areas displaying information, which is more than enough.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

My new Sorento PHEV displays the settings for the lights and the wipers each time they are adjusted. |I didn't have that on my previous VAG cars but it is very useful.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ll take your word for it, but frankly I can’t see the value in it. It’s quite evident what setting they’re in because they’re right in front of your eyes!
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten