ID3 impressions (as a family car)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

“ Appreciate it and will share more once I get the car! Hope you've been enjoying yours :)
I am definitely enjoying my car I’ve done 8000 miles so far and it’s so relaxing and enjoyable to drive , I did a 185 mile trip got 2.5 hours sleep while it charged and drove back another 185 miles and felt absolutely fine.
As I’ve mentioned before in my other posts my only problem is the ventilation system.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

rikimaru wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 pm
Most cars nowadays will tell you which setting you've changed it to in the driver display but in the ID3/ID4 you have to "guess" based on how far up/down the stick is. Maybe it requires a level of skill and I'll learn to master how to gently nudge it into the right position, like some sort of stick whisperer.
What cars have you been driving? I've never seen the wiper setting displayed on a long line of VAG cars I've owned, Fords, Jags, Toyota, Hondas my friends and colleagues drive.

With most cars having auto wipers these days, you'd generally expect to be in that setting. It's also patently obvious whether the wipers are working effectively or require adjustment. There's a slider switch on the stalk for sensitivity adjustment, so there's almost no need to be out of auto (auto with 1 down from highest sensitivity is all you need for all but the lightest of drizzle). Being able to see what setting you are on seems redundant/superfluous info I'd rather not see..
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Rikimaru, thanks for the post.

We have 3 small kids and the ID3 has been great, especially the 3 isofix provided. If you look back through threads you’ll find some more posts with a few photos - search isofix.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to write and post it. Solid observations too.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Most cars nowadays will tell you which setting you've changed it to in the driver display but in the ID3/ID4 you have to "guess" based on how far up/down the stick is. Maybe it requires a level of skill and I'll learn to master how to gently nudge it into the right position, like some sort of stick whisperer.
What cars have you been driving? I've never seen the wiper setting displayed on a long line of VAG cars I've owned, Fords, Jags, Toyota, Hondas my friends and colleagues drive.

With most cars having auto wipers these days, you'd generally expect to be in that setting. It's also patently obvious whether the wipers are working effectively or require adjustment. There's a slider switch on the stalk for sensitivity adjustment, so there's almost no need to be out of auto (auto with 1 down from highest sensitivity is all you need for all but the lightest of drizzle). Being able to see what setting you are on seems redundant/superfluous info I'd rather not see..
People seem to be really offended by this wiper thing. The bigger point was that the driver screen could do more than have 3 types of static screens. I've driven many cars and would agree.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I agree here...I leave the wipers on auto and let them do their thing.

I did spot a bit of penny pinching though...the 'auto' position on the wiper stalk is labelled as 'int' - can you even buy a VW without automatic wipers any more?!

The wiper stalk operates the opposite way round to the stalk on every other VAG car I've driven (unless I'm going mad) which suggests that it's a fairly modern part.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:30 pm

I did spot a bit of penny pinching though...the 'auto' position on the wiper stalk is labelled as 'int' - can you even buy a VW without automatic wipers any more?!

The wiper stalk operates the opposite way round to the stalk on every other VAG car I've driven (unless I'm going mad) which suggests that it's a fairly modern part.
You can change in the settings whether this position is Int or Automatic
VW figure you won’t want one if you use the other
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ve also never driven a car that displays the wiper setting on the screen. It’s certainly not a feature on any of the cars I own (Porsche, BMW, and VW). I do agree that the drivers screen could be more configurable though. If you’ve got a car with the augmented reality HUD, then you’ve essentially for 3 areas displaying information, which is more than enough.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

My new Sorento PHEV displays the settings for the lights and the wipers each time they are adjusted. |I didn't have that on my previous VAG cars but it is very useful.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ll take your word for it, but frankly I can’t see the value in it. It’s quite evident what setting they’re in because they’re right in front of your eyes!
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

colonelpurple wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:58 am
TheJimster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:30 pm

You can change in the settings whether this position is Int or Automatic
VW figure you won’t want one if you use the other
It hadn't occurred to me that you could switch back from auto to int (though I'm not sure why anyone would!)

It makes perfect sense to me that auto and int should be in the same place on the stalk, but given that auto is clearly the default across the entire ID3 range, it would be more logical for the stalk label to read 'auto', which I'm fairly sure is the case on our A3.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

andrewparker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 am I’ll take your word for it, but frankly I can’t see the value in it. It’s quite evident what setting they’re in because they’re right in front of your eyes!
Exactly. What setting they're on isn't relevant anyway, it's a reactionary adjust. If the wipers aren't clearing rain fast enough then you turn the sensitivity (auto) or interval up, without a care what it was previously set to. There's no value at all in cluttering up the dash with unnecessary info.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Here for the wiper wars!

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

It’s a mystery to me. Never had that visible in any car I’ve ever had. I feel we need more info on the driving screen but I think just because I want it not because it’s needed.

Only one I think I want is % because I often go to vehicle settings to check it, therefore it’s something to me.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Wow, gone a day and what has this turned into :o :lol:

Moving on from wipergate, the keyless entry is also superb. It’s so useful being able to walk up to the car and get in, especially when carrying shopping etc.

Also the reversing camera hidden away in the badge? Brilliant! Driving the ID4, it was sometimes difficult to see in the rain with raindrops or dirt covering the view. But the ID3 was crystal clear every time.

Why don’t all cars do it like this?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

rikimaru wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:48 pm Wow, gone a day and what has this turned into :o :lol:

Moving on from wipergate, the keyless entry is also superb. It’s so useful being able to walk up to the car and get in, especially when carrying shopping etc.

Also the reversing camera hidden away in the badge? Brilliant! Driving the ID4, it was sometimes difficult to see in the rain with raindrops or dirt covering the view. But the ID3 was crystal clear every time.

Why don’t all cars do it like this?
The only real issue with the pop up badge camera is that it's easily broken (not properly bust, but mechanism dislocated, needing you to open the boot lid trim and fix it) if you decide to pop it back flush rather than waiting for it to pull itself back in.

Alanpyle

Post by Alanpyle »

I have a Hyudia Ioniq&it does display the wiper setting but only for a few seconds
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am
rikimaru wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 am
The bad stuff:

- Driver screen feels a little small and bare? It's also missing features I'd expect like displaying the wiper setting (when you change it),
Sorry, This one's thrown me a bit, what cars have a display on the dash to show you your windscreen wiper settings?
e208 - we have one. Really nice 3D effect dash display
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
phixion

Post by phixion »

Yeah, the 'Up/Down Volume' and 'Next/Prev Track' placement on the steering wheel is really stupid.

My 5 previous Golfs had them the "proper" way around, so no it isn't a VW thing!
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Sounds like they just wired it in wrong.