ID.Light with Natural voice control

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SilverID3

Post by SilverID3 »

Hi All,

Still busy researching ahead of getting my car..

Spotted this in the manual, and wondered what it is all about.

Industry first – ID.Light with Natural voice control..

My current T-Cross offers voice control but it is fairly basic, so wondering what the ID3 offers with "Natural Voice Control" ?

Also, the "ID.Light" looks interesting, but in practice how useful is it ?

Thanks
Family Pro Performance. East Derry Wheels, Scale Silver - Ordered 11th Oct 2021

Estimated Handover: April 2022

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

“Hey ID, I’m cold” - it turns the temperature up. That’s an example. I don’t really use it.

The ID. Light does all sorts of stuff, it’s very useful:

A. Solid red = front assist collision warning
B. Dark blue swipes to the left/right = in-car navigation on approach to a turn
C. Red or green towards the left with dashed green lines = battery charging
D. White block/flashes in front of driver or passenger = voice control active
E. Light blue block in front of driver = efficiency assist advising to lift off the power pedal
F. White flashes (which look like lanes) in front of the driver = lane assist activated on dual-carriageways and motorways
G. White/red flashes in front of the driver, wiggling from side to side = steering wheel contact detection (Travel Assist specs only)
H. Green flashes in the centre = incoming call

Some of these were added in the latest software release, so I expect more will come too.
SilverID3

Post by SilverID3 »

Thanks..

The ID.light does sound useful..

So, is the voice thing a bit like an Alexa, sounds like it.
If it is able to do stuff and control features of the car (heating etc.) it sounds like it may be a useable alternative instead of hunting for menus and options on touch screen..

Interesting.
Family Pro Performance. East Derry Wheels, Scale Silver - Ordered 11th Oct 2021

Estimated Handover: April 2022
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

It’s an intrusive annoyance at times but does work well if you have good signal. If not, it’s rubbish.

I usually use it for temp control and then Siri for everything else.
Deleted User 192

You’re supposed to be able to use the voice control to ask the in-car navigation system to get you to places, good luck getting it to understand the location you say.

One thing I would recommend is turning off the “activation word” otherwise the car will think someone said “Hey ID” when nobody has. With the “activation word” turned off you can still press a button on the steering wheel to make it listen.

So, think of it more as a very early Alexa or Siri.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I love the ID light, very useful, and hopefully will get more so with updates.

The voice control works pretty well, in my opinion, it doesn't recognise all destinations for the sat nav, but it's been reasonably successful. I tend to use it most for starting hands free calls.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Deleted User 192

Apple CarPlay with Siri is a lot better for making calls, to make Siri listen just hold the button on the steering wheel (rather than just press it)

Apple Maps with voice control is much better than the in-car navigation with VW’s voice control.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Agree with Scott, that’s how I roll too.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm “Hey ID, I’m cold” - it turns the temperature up. That’s an example. I don’t really use it.

E. Light blue block in front of driver = efficiency assist advising to lift off the power pedal
F. White flashes (which look like lanes) in front of the driver = lane assist activated on dual-carriageways and motorways
G. White/red flashes in front of the driver, wiggling from side to side = steering wheel contact detection (Travel Assist specs only)

Some of these were added in the latest software release, so I expect more will come too.
Thanks for this - very useful.
Can I ask where you got the info. from? Is it documented somewhere?
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 pm
scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm “Hey ID, I’m cold” - it turns the temperature up. That’s an example. I don’t really use it.

I mean the ID light stuff.
Deleted User 192

I hadn’t seen any documentation, so I started creating my own list and asked in a couple of Facebook groups, adding a couple more that I wasn’t aware of.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:15 pm

I hadn’t seen any documentation, so I started creating my own list and asked in a couple of Facebook groups, adding a couple more that I wasn’t aware of.
Thanks again.
I have seen instances of all of these apart from

I don't have Travel Assist so actually I also haven't seen

I have been getting
since the 2.3 upgrade, and at first I didn't realise what it signified but eventually worked it out.

VW should really publish this info. and/or include in the manual/online help.
As much as I like the car I don't think I ever had a car that made me mutter 'what is it doing!' as much as this one. :D