Cold weather is here - range hit

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

So... Overnight the temps dropped by 10-13 degrees in London, Wednesday to yesterday and today. I was doing the same run at the same time with the same load every day, bringing my daughter to half-term camp, in East London morning and afternoon traffic.

Wednesday 19 degrees outside temp - 4.2m/kWh
Thursday 9 degrees outside temp - 3.0m/kWh
Friday 7 degrees outside temp with 40 minutes preheating - 3.2 m/kWh

So about a 30% hit on range without pre-conditioning, 24% with pre-conditioning.

Distance is about 5 miles, 30 minutes driving.

Ouch.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

But from the way this works and is calculated you will always see a bigger hit on short journeys won't you? I seem to be down to 139 miles with 70%. I also noticed yesterday that the cold and wet weather had brought my Bridgestones into their own, I've never had so many traction control incidents.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 am But from the way this works and is calculated you will always see a bigger hit on short journeys won't you? I seem to be down to 139 miles with 70%. I also noticed yesterday that the cold and wet weather had brought my Bridgestones into their own, I've never had so many traction control incidents.
That's definitely as expected. For longer journeys, the depletion of charge as you go should be keeping the batteries warm enough, without the car needing to warm the batteries further.

I have a 335 mile journey down to Southampton from Newcastle on Sunday morning, with a charge to full expected probably at Donnington Moto services. Will be interested to see how close to 3.7 miles per kWh we achieve (got that end of Aug on same trip.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Thanks Andreas, very useful. Seeing the same this week also.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

*cough* lives in Barcelona *cough*

😊😊😊🌞
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Curses in Catalan.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 pm
G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 am But from the way this works and is calculated you will always see a bigger hit on short journeys won't you? I seem to be down to 139 miles with 70%. I also noticed yesterday that the cold and wet weather had brought my Bridgestones into their own, I've never had so many traction control incidents.
That's definitely as expected. For longer journeys, the depletion of charge as you go should be keeping the batteries warm enough, without the car needing to warm the batteries further.

I have a 335 mile journey down to Southampton from Newcastle on Sunday morning, with a charge to full expected probably at Donnington Moto services. Will be interested to see how close to 3.7 miles per kWh we achieve (got that end of Aug on same trip.
Thanks for the input all.

Yes it seems to be getting better towards the end of the trip, and I would expect that once the battery has fully woken up to the fact that it's driving that things will be better.

I'm right now on 187 miles with 63% (Tour, w/heatpump).

As an aside, 40minute pre-conditioning at 21 degrees C cost 1% of the battery, so that was good. I was worried it would be more.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I'm glad I got my car just over a year ago, I've already experienced a BEV winter so now nothing comes as a surprise.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Very interesting. We have had an e208 since January so experienced some chilly weather in it. Being front wheel drive it has traction control issues in any wet weather if you are too heavy on the pedal. This week it has dropped from 4m/kWh (which is about the max you get on it) to 3.4m/kWh and currently all the journeys are short, below 10 miles. It has a heat pump as standard but not using the same refrigerant as the ID3 so its ideal temperature range is different. As we have an ID3 on order I shall be comparing your posts to my current miles/kWh to get a feel for ID3 winter range!
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Can anyone else hear the battery heater (and coolant/heating circuit) kicking in? A subtle dull thump followed by a hum. Linked to a sudden increase in consumption (when stationary obvs) and then a noise as it switched off and the consumption drops to 0.3-0.5kw…
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:38 pm I'm glad I got my car just over a year ago, I've already experienced a BEV winter so now nothing comes as a surprise.
There's something to be said for buying your first EV in the middle of winter. After the initial disappointment with the actual range vs the advertised range, I could see things gradually getting better as the weather warmed, and at least we know what to expect for the next six months or so.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Deleted User 192

hungerdunger wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 pm
scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:38 pm I'm glad I got my car just over a year ago, I've already experienced a BEV winter so now nothing comes as a surprise.
the advertised range

I thought VW (like every other manufacturer) had to include WLTP in their literature/advertising… They all do it, for all types of vehicles regardless of the type of power unit.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 pm I thought VW (like every other manufacturer) had to include WLTP in their literature/advertising… They all do it, for all types of vehicles regardless of the type of power unit.
Yes they did, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. From memory I think the combined WLTP figure was 260 miles range on a full charge. In the first couple of months (Jan - March) we were getting in the region of 200 miles. We had realised that this figure would be lower in the winter because of increased use of heating, lights etc, but were still disappointed in the disparity. Perhaps we were being naive. Now we know we can achieve the expected range in the summer and know what to expect in the winter, we're really happy with the car.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I’ve just done a 400 mile round trip with 2 passengers on Friday temp around 10’ with heaters on most of the time and got 3.9 kWh
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Deleted User 192

hungerdunger wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 pm
scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 pm I thought VW (like every other manufacturer) had to include WLTP in their literature/advertising… They all do it, for all types of vehicles regardless of the type of power unit.
Yes they did, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. From memory I think the combined WLTP figure was 260 miles range on a full charge. In the first couple of months (Jan - March) we were getting in the region of 200 miles. We had realised that this figure would be lower in the winter because of increased use of heating, lights etc, but were still disappointed in the disparity. Perhaps we were being naive. Now we know we can achieve the expected range in the summer and know what to expect in the winter, we're really happy with the car.

They re not selling the car any differently to any other they make, or that any other manufacturer makes. That’s all I meant.

I’ve read so many posts here and elsewhere in the last year where people take WLTP as some sort of promise or expectation, but VW (and all other manufacturers) have an obligation to publish that number.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Warminster id wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 am I’ve just done a 400 mile round trip with 2 passengers on Friday temp around 10’ with heaters on most of the time and got 3.9 kWh
Really surprised at these disparities. I have done 14 miles in city traffic last night with minimal heating and two adult passengers and got 3.1 m/kWh at 13 degrees.
——————
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Andreas wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 am
Warminster id wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 am I’ve just done a 400 mile round trip with 2 passengers on Friday temp around 10’ with heaters on most of the time and got 3.9 kWh
Really surprised at these disparities. I have done 14 miles in city traffic last night with minimal heating and two adult passengers and got 3.1 m/kWh at 13 degrees.
My commute to work this morning 5am at 8’ of 21 miles gave me 4.9 mi/kwh
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If that was all doing 70mph on the motorway then that's exceptional, if mixed diving doing 40-60mph it's roughly as per my expectations. Could you tell us roughly how you were driving to get a bit of context? Was that ventilation heaters or pretty much just heated seats what temp did you heat the cabin to?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andreas wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 am
Means nothing without context (driving speed, cabin temp set to etc.). Personally, I don't think I could do 3.9 miles per kWh on a 400 mile journey maintaining 18C without sitting on a motorway doing no more than 60mph.

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:26 am
If that was all doing 70mph on the motorway then that's exceptional, if mixed diving doing 40-60mph it's roughly as per my expectations. Could you tell us roughly how you were driving to get a bit of context? Was that ventilation heaters or pretty much just heated seats what temp did you heat the cabin to?
Warminster to March in Cambridgeshire mostly motorway and some A road speeds between 60-just over 70.
Heated to 20-22 degrees , but still felt cool so maybe a visit to the Gararge soon.
On high speed roads in D mode and lift and coast. Switch to B when slowing or in slow traffic
Also always looking ahead at the traffic so I can slow down or speed up gradually