Car Steering Wheel Lock

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
JohnBEV1

Post by JohnBEV1 »

Anyone using a Car Steering Wheel Lock like the Stoplock 'Pro Elite' on their ID3 as an additional theft deterrent? This brand seems to get good reviews. I am currently waiting on my ID3 (due late March 22), so wondering which type would fit the steering wheel? Would not want it pressing down on the horn control inadvertently :D

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 15.42.54.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 15.35.56.png

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I didn’t realise these things were still a thing.

Most likely nowadays is for someone to steal your key, so if the key for one of these is on the same ring it wouldn’t help.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

At least the OP hasn't asked about those ones which fit over the hand brake handle and around the gear stick. :lol:

As deleted user says, the ID3 is on no-ones "steal list", as it's not a performance car, breaking parts on EVs for battery selling isn't really a thing currently, and unless you keep your locking device well away from your car key, a thief will have both if they break into your house for the keys, or have these things ragged off the steering wheel in no time. Completely pointless in this day and age IMO.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

What about one of these:

Disklok.jpeg

I thought they were supposed to be more secure? Obviously, anything can be overcome, but maybe it's a deterent.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

I wonder how these devices would work being used on capacitive steering wheels, would they damage them ? and with models with progressive steering, would the fact you can do full lock with much less turning at lower speeds make these security devices pointless unless they restrict the steering completely ?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Big_GT wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:24 am I wonder how these devices would work being used on capacitive steering wheels, would they damage them ? and with models with progressive steering, would the fact you can do full lock with much less turning at lower speeds make these security devices pointless unless they restrict the steering completely ?
There is a soft cover which you can put over the steering wheel before you fit this. If you try to turn these when on the steering wheel, they just spin round. You can't actually turn the steering wheel. No idea about the capacitive wheels, but as they don't really touch the wheel itself, if the protective cloth is fitted, I would have thought they would be ok.
Yes, I have one. Do I use it? When I remember. I think they are good, but after all said and done, they are a deterrent. Much like fitting an alarm to your house, it just sends the thief next door.
And they are bright yellow, which might stop the thief from smashing your window, and just go and look for an easier target.
Petere

Post by Petere »

Hello John,
I know it was a while ago you posted the query, but I have now taken delivery of my ID.3 and want to buy a steering lock. Did you ever get one yourself? Which one? I fancy the Stoplock Pro.
Regards
Peter