ID. Light functions

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The VW manual has a list of things when the ID. Light operates, but no clues as to what the various functions actually look like, so I decided to create a list.

These are the new functions from the 2.3 release notes:

1. Steering wheel contact detection (see item G below)
2. Adaptive Cruise Control ACC
3. Efficiency assist (see item E below)
4. Absolute reserve mode

Here's a list, comment below if you know of any others:

A. Solid red = front assist collision warning
B. Dark blue swipes to the left/right = in-car navigation on approach to a turn
C. Red or green towards the left with dashed green lines = battery charging
D. White block/flashes in front of driver or passenger = voice control active
E. Light blue block in front of driver = efficiency assist advising to lift off the power pedal (from 2.3)
F. White flashes (which look like lanes) in front of the driver = lane assist activated on dual-carriageways and motorways (from 2.3)
G. White/red flashes in front of the driver, wiggling from side to side = steering wheel contact detection (Travel Assist specs only, from 2.3)
H. Green flashes in the centre = incoming call
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Thanks Scott. Will look forward to this if I ever get the update.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

@Rob is there any way to "pin" this somewhere in the forum so it doesn't get lost ? Or maybe move to an FAQ section ? God knows we could use a definitive post about the 2.3 update process too so people asking can be pointed to the definitive sum of knowledge on the topic :-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Stewink

Post by Stewink »

Less of an upgrade... but more annoying now IMO

If you have the Eco assist function on, then whenever it tells you to lift off the accelerator with the icon that looks like a foot lifting of a pedal, it now flashes/pulses a very small segment on the drivers side

Seems to light up much more now at other random times too... although I'm sure there's a reason as per this thread
Deleted User 192

Stewink wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:44 pm If you have the Eco assist function on, then whenever it tells you to lift off the accelerator with the icon that looks like a foot lifting of a pedal, it now flashes/pulses a very small segment on the drivers side

That's item E on the list above :-)
Deleted User 192

G43FAN wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:20 pm Thanks Scott. Will look forward to this if I ever get the update.

Only items E/F/G depend on 2.3.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Thanks for sharing your work Scott, very useful. 👏👍
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Apologies in advance - I don't wish to start a storm on the forum.

In June when I decided to order an ID.3 I formed an opinion that the IQ.Light feature was a gimmick and I was surprised how much effort VW's marketing folks were making of this item.
Having taken delivery of my car some 10 days ago my initial opinion remains unchanged.

I consider having a car which 'winks' and burbles at me when I enter or leave it as pointless - it's not as if it is part of my friendship group!

It seems preferable to concentrate on the road and instrument binnacle (+ Apple Maps & Car Play) rather than pondering what particular message a strip of coloured LEDs is trying to convey. No doubt some clever 'nudge theory' psychologists at VW's design HQ think this feature is the bee's knees.

For me the most pleasing feature of IQ.Light is it's unobtrusiveness. Maybe as I become more familiar with the car my opinion of IQ.Light will become more favourable....
...time will tell.
Deleted User 192

Gwyver wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 pm Apologies in advance - I don't wish to start a storm on the forum.

In June when I decided to order an ID.3 I formed an opinion that the IQ.Light feature was a gimmick and I was surprised how much effort VW's marketing folks were making of this item.
Having taken delivery of my car some 10 days ago my initial opinion remains unchanged.

I consider having a car which 'winks' and burbles at me when I enter or leave it as pointless - it's not as if it is part of my friendship group!

It seems preferable to concentrate on the road and instrument binnacle (+ Apple Maps & Car Play) rather than pondering what particular message a strip of coloured LEDs is trying to convey. No doubt some clever 'nudge theory' psychologists at VW's design HQ think this feature is the bee's knees.

For me the most pleasing feature of IQ.Light is it's unobtrusiveness. Maybe as I become more familiar with the car my opinion of IQ.Light will become more favourable....
...time will tell.

Each to their own, I do find it useful for the functions which complement the display behind the steering wheel (where the icons/text can be too small). It’s not my favourite feature of the car though, that’s the matrix headlights.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Gwyver wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 pm Apologies in advance - I don't wish to start a storm on the forum.

...time will tell.

Banish the Heathen, his tongue speaketh untruths ...

VW foresaw we needed a light to guide us through the Fog of dieselgate, they gave us the light.. Behold the ID Light, All hail the ID light. Praise be to the light.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I would pay good coin to get the IQ:Light to go all K.I.T.T. on me.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Anduain wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:51 pm I would pay good coin to get the IQ:Light to go all K.I.T.T. on me.
They missed a trick there.. and 'The Hof' so popular in Germany too.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

...time will tell.
I'm with you on this. Fortunately, i seem to be able to ignore it most of the time. Gimmick, yes, pointless, maybe.