Remote heater from app iffy?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Anyone else noticed this? When you turn on the heating from the app, you often have to press several times before it actually start. I counted five tries this morning.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Yes. Have concluded however that the app status doesn't change until the car communicates back.
If I hit start once and wait the car port light shows activity and a minute or two after that the app updates. I like you were hitting start several times until it says active but think its just a time delay.
Give it a go.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

App to car comms go through VW, so if you're waiting for the app to update the full sequence is:

App > VW > car > VW > app

You might find that the actual heating starts in the car after 10-20 seconds of you pressing the option in the app - I think the commands to the car are quicker and more reliable than the app getting updates back.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That all fits in with what I see 👍
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Yes. I realise that the car needs to comunicate back, but what I see is that after you press, the app spins for quite a while and then nothing. If I check the car, the heater has not started. When it does, the app changes from "start" to "stop" and shows the remaining time.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thats exactly the sane for me and what makes it worse is the start button status is still present so you keep pressing until it changes.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Then I am not alone. This morning there was a message on the app that it could not connect to the car or whatever. Note that we had not driven it this night.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

The timer is also intermittent, you need to set the day and time then keep the screen open for at least a minute and check it's not reverted back to the previous setting. The car was cold a couple of mornings last week until I figured this out. It's been fine since but you do need to set it 2 or 3 times to get it to sync with the car.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Interesting. Never used the timer, we just start in manually a few minutes before we leave. It heata up really fast.

I will fire off an email to VW though.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I find that that the remote heating from app works fine but is slow to start - it does make you think that the car has not responded. I also have the timing set up for weekday mornings which has worked flawlessly for the past few months.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

gailjon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 am I find that that the remote heating from app works fine but is slow to start - it does make you think that the car has not responded. I also have the timing set up for weekday mornings which has worked flawlessly for the past few months.
"I find that that the remote heating from app works fine but is slow to start". I wonder if the software is so clever, depending on the ambient temperature, that it calculates how long it needs to pre-heat? Although, I have found that the "fans" (heater?) is still running after the set leaving time.
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

You might very well be right. Tested today, clicked start, it spun and then came back as if nothing had happened. Took out the garbage, on my way back from the bin, the heater started.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think Scotts sequence of events covers it well.
APP-VW-CAR-VW-APP
It takes time for feedback into the app.
The heater is on before that cycle completes.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Got this when I mailed them:

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

With regards to your enquiry, please be informed that on some occasions, specifically when the car has been stationary for a lengthy period of time, it is required to send a command to the vehicle immediately after (should the first one not be executed).

This is due to the sleep mode of the car after several hours stationary, it requires to wake up and then receive the command.
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Me too. You can sit and watch the app "synchronizing" until the cows come home, it's incredibly flaky. Switch between the home screen and car screen and you'll probably see two different statuses for heating. That is, if you can actually connect to the vehicle in the first place. Given that there are only two things you can do from the app, you'd think a more robust solution would have been found.

P.S. I couldn't register the app without giving it a name to address me by - just one example of inflexibility. Unfortunately "Your Imperial Highness" doesn't fit on the screen...

Screenshot_20211127-154430.png

Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm Me too. You can sit and watch the app "synchronizing" until the cows come home

All I care about is whether the heating actually starts, which in my experience happens within about 20 seconds regardless of what does or doesn't change in the app.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I must be lucky. My car is heating within less than 30 seconds. The app follows up eventually.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

My app keeps synchronising for ages as well but the cars always hot so who cares
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw