3.0 Software Update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 am From Auto motor und sport.de—> "We have found that there are currently still many vehicles with very different software versions on the road," confirmed a VW spokesman when asked by auto-motor-und-sport.de.
Maybe because of the half-arsed way that VW do their OTA updates? Who’d have thought that users wouldn’t know what the hell was going on when the car starts flashing random errors at them months after receiving an email about getting an update.
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys.
Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

morrishey wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:40 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 am From Auto motor und sport.de—> "We have found that there are currently still many vehicles with very different software versions on the road," confirmed a VW spokesman when asked by auto-motor-und-sport.de.
Maybe because of the half-arsed way that VW do their OTA updates? Who’d have thought that users wouldn’t know what the hell was going on when the car starts flashing random errors at them months after receiving an email about getting an update.
Hush your keyboard - "Volkswagen is forging ahead with its transformation to a software-oriented mobility provider – and is becoming an expert in software integration and over-the-air updates. "

I make no apologies for posting that yet again. I still read it and sit back in disbelief that VW can put out a statement like that. VW software updates are like waiting for the next months edition of ZX Spectrum magazine so you can find the error corrections to the code you and your mate spent 3 days typing in only to find it wouldn't compile.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The last OTA experience was quite mind boggling. How VW management let that garbled, opaque mess go out to thousands of actual customers was beyond belief.
I already know for 3.0 I’ll be driving up to under a 4G mast and parking it for a whole day, and maybe 2 days by the sound of it (I’ll walk the 30 minutes home).
That’s how much confidence I have in the VW software ‘experts’ !
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

OB1CCFC wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am The last OTA experience was quite mind boggling. How VW management let that garbled, opaque mess go out to thousands of actual customers was beyond belief.
I already know for 3.0 I’ll be driving up to under a 4G mast and parking it for a whole day, and maybe 2 days by the sound of it (I’ll walk the 30 minutes home).
That’s how much confidence I have in the VW software ‘experts’ !
I have exactly the opinions and concerns. In fact If I could, I'd have the thing plugged into my router via RJ45 for a week. Last time it was a terrible experience.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Is anybody getting letters about the 2.4/battery change from the dealer they bought their car from yet?

Ours was a pre-registered car with a handful of miles on it bought from a main dealer so technically we’re not first owner, so if others who bought brand new are getting letters I’m wondering if we need to contact them as they won’t contact us 🤷🏻‍♂️
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Not here.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Not here.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Leccy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:46 am Is anybody getting letters about the 2.4/battery change from the dealer they bought their car from yet?

Ours was a pre-registered car with a handful of miles on it bought from a main dealer so technically we’re not first owner, so if others who bought brand new are getting letters I’m wondering if we need to contact them as they won’t contact us 🤷🏻‍♂️
The 2.4 rollout has been delayed/postponed due to software issues and there has been no announcement as to when it will commence.

edit: Link to info on the postponment I haven't seen an official VW release -- viewtopic.php?t=2102
Last edited by G43FAN on Thu May 19, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Ah, thanks @G43FAN. Really surprised to hear that 😆
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Busman

Post by Busman »

G43FAN wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:01 am
Leccy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:46 am Is anybody getting letters about the 2.4/battery change from the dealer they bought their car from yet?

The 2.4 rollout has been delayed/postponed due to software issues and there has been no announcement as to when it will commence.

edit: Link to info on the postponment I haven't seen an official VW release -- viewtopic.php?t=2102
Good afternoon, Today I collected my new ID.3 Comfort 58KWH 145 BHP East Derry wheels with air stop tyres from the dealership in Ireland.To my surprise it has 3.0 software in it.
👌👌👌
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Yes, well, about that.... our car received the first part of v2.3 some months ago and has never shown any sign of the part 2, so still showing 0792 on the system software info. And yes, it's parked and used in an area of decent 4G signal.

So after a lengthy exchange of emails with the utterly hopeless VW We Connect 'support' their last response is to essentially give up and say "please be patient, all will be fixed when you get 2.4, which is expected to start Real Soon Now". We will see....
id3 Max 2021
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Major article in Der Spiegel 20/5
“VW supervisory board fears consequences of software chaos in competition with Tesla’

Basically calling for an urgent review of Cariad by July due to serious software development delays across the VW group.
German forums reporting 3.0 will not be released before Q3 and probably Q4. Another winter looms….
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Called that 3.x OTA wasn’t going to happen this year weeks ago.

To anyone who professionally works in this area - and I have for more than 20 years - it’s quite obvious that VW are not organised correctly to deliver more than a single release a year, if you’re lucky.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:16 am Major article in Der Spiegel 20/5
“VW supervisory board fears consequences of software chaos in competition with Tesla’

Basically calling for an urgent review of Cariad by July due to serious software development delays across the VW group.
German forums reporting 3.0 will not be released before Q3 and probably Q4. Another winter looms….
I am confused by this so maybe I am missing something. If 3.0 won't be released until Q3/Q4 what is the 3.0 software that some recent posts on the Deliveries thread say there new car has been delivered with?
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Sherlock wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:01 am

I am confused by this so maybe I am missing something. If 3.0 won't be released until Q3/Q4 what is the 3.0 software that some recent posts on the Deliveries thread say there new car has been delivered with?
They are referring to 2.4 followed by 3.0 OTA for existing cars out in the field, not new cars.
I personally fear for the people getting 3.0 on new cars it is likely to be quite buggy. Then again many of us have lived through that situation..,,
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Sherlock wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:01 am I am confused by this so maybe I am missing something.

Perhaps you should ask Dr Watson :lol:
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Factory fit 3.0 will be a totally different beast to OTA 3.0, though cut from the same codebase.

2.4 exists to create a level hardware playing field across the fleet so that the OTA doesn’t have to deal with a million corner cases, causing. Million potential installation failures.

3.0 factory cars will have a strongly known hardware base, again limiting the number of edge and corner cases.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:36 am

They are referring to 2.4 followed by 3.0 OTA for existing cars out in the field, not new cars.
I personally fear for the people getting 3.0 on new cars it is likely to be quite buggy. Then again many of us have lived through that situation..,,
Yes - understand that. I thought I read that the rollout to existing cars was delayed because of software issues/quality though, and took that to mean 3.0 but maybe it was 2.4. If new cars being delivered now have 3.0 it's definitely been released, so hope it's not too buggy! I guess the new owners will discover if it is quite soon and let us know.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Utumno wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Factory fit 3.0 will be a totally different beast to OTA 3.0, though cut from the same codebase.

2.4 exists to create a level hardware playing field across the fleet so that the OTA doesn’t have to deal with a million corner cases, causing. Million potential installation failures.

3.0 factory cars will have a strongly known hardware base, again limiting the number of edge and corner cases.
Thanks Utumno. Do you really think 'Factory fit 3.0 will be a totally different beast to OTA 3.0'?
I can understand the installation process needs to be different, but does the actual software that runs the car need to be different?
I can think of the 12v battery and the side sensors, but apart from that are there many hardware differences between the models?
Couldn't it be a single executable that contains code for every possible piece of hardware the ID.3 could have, and that is smart enough to just switch on/off the bits that apply/don't apply to the car the software is installed on? That way the developers would only have one version to maintain.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Sherlock wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:51 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks Utumno. Do you really think 'Factory fit 3.0 will be a totally different beast to OTA 3.0'?
I can understand the installation process needs to be different, but does the actual software that runs the car need to be different?
I can think of the 12v battery and the side sensors, but apart from that are there many hardware differences between the models?
Couldn't it be a single executable that contains code for every possible piece of hardware the ID.3 could have, and that is smart enough to just switch on/off the bits that apply/don't apply to the car the software is installed on? That way the developers would only have one version to maintain.

Not likely, but if VW has taken that route then that explains why they can’t ship an OTA update reliably. The permutations are limitless and each of those would need to be tested.

Again, far better to bring the fleet to a known minimum install level (2.4+module swaps+battery) to reduce the software artifact surface, which reduces the number of permutations to test dramatically - in fact, one.

If there’s anyone here who believes that the primary reason for a full fleet recall is still the battery, I have a wide range of bridges for sale.
Tesla Model Y Long Range