Octopus Go New Tariffs

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

G43FAN wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:33 am I didn't think Octopus were letting anyone sign up to go currently?
I've had mixed messages. I phoned them up a couple of weeks ago and they told me I couldn't switch because they weren't accepting new customers. I queried them about it on Twitter and they told me that's not the case... so who knows! I'd quite like to know their gas prices though, which they won't disclose on their website (because it tells you to phone them) and they wouldn't disclose to me over the phone because they said they weren't accepting new customers!

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:33 am I didn't think Octopus were letting anyone sign up to go currently?

They’re not allowing non-Octopus customers who don’t already have 3 months of smart meter records.

So as long as you’re already on Octopus and have a working smart meter with Octopus, then you can switch to Go no problem.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Utumno wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:25 am

They’re not allowing non-Octopus customers who don’t already have 3 months of smart meter records.

So as long as you’re already on Octopus and have a working smart meter with Octopus, then you can switch to Go no problem.
Indeed I switched to it 2 days ago as an existing customer on the cap.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:28 am

Same here - although with less than 3 months of meter readings since moving from Avro.
I had been prevaricating for a while - I tried to switch at Christmas, the process was slow because of the need to phone up, and then by the time it could actually be processed the rates had increased. However with the conclusion of the government's review on the price cap this week it became clear that nothing is going to stop the current cap rate going up by 50+%, so switching to the current Go rates on a 1 year fix became a no-brainer again.

P.S I tried to apply for the £90 ID car credit - has anyone had success with that recently? The form didn't work so we have sent an email.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ItshardtobuyId3

sidehaas wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:33 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:28 am

Same here - although with less than 3 months of meter readings since moving from Avro.
I had been prevaricating for a while - I tried to switch at Christmas, the process was slow because of the need to phone up, and then by the time it could actually be processed the rates had increased. However with the conclusion of the government's review on the price cap this week it became clear that nothing is going to stop the current cap rate going up by 50+%, so switching to the current Go rates on a 1 year fix became a no-brainer again.

P.S I tried to apply for the £90 ID car credit - has anyone had success with that recently? The form didn't work so we have sent an email.
I’m an Avro refugee too! I came the same conclusion as you, I can’t see the current GO rates sticking around for long with the new cap so thought I better jump on it. If I’d know it was a 12 month fix before the last increase I’d have jumped on it before.

Should have the car in a month so in the meantime will have to use my white goods at night to offset the epic price increase I’ve just inflicted on myself!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

I really can't decide whether to switch to GO now or not... If I knew the car was coming in March as I was originally quoted then I would, but I'm fixed until the end of May at 16.9p/kWh so I'd be paying nearly double with no proper date for when the car arrives...
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
ItshardtobuyId3

Turquoise wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:50 pm I really can't decide whether to switch to GO now or not... If I knew the car was coming in March as I was originally quoted then I would, but I'm fixed until the end of May at 16.9p/kWh so I'd be paying nearly double with no proper date for when the car arrives...
Yeah that’s a tricky one. If you do a lot of washing, drying and have and have dishwasher, and they all have a delay start function it might take the sting out of it. But it would be very annoying if you switched to GO now, got the car in May and it turned out they didn’t increase the tariff (does seem unlikely to me though).

I guess if more than half you energy use would be for domestic use rather than charging switching now becomes a less attractive option.

Edit: I got this video in my YouTube feed yesterday. Might be useful.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Turquoise wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:50 pm I really can't decide whether to switch to GO now or not... If I knew the car was coming in March as I was originally quoted then I would, but I'm fixed until the end of May at 16.9p/kWh so I'd be paying nearly double with no proper date for when the car arrives...

Do you already have an Octopus smart meter?

If so then you can go to Guy Lipman’s tariff compare tool, put in any tariff you like, and it will give you what the bill would have been for any time period where your smart meter consumption is available.

Makes it very easy then to see what your bill would have been on any tariff you like.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Utumno wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:29 pm

Do you already have an Octopus smart meter?

If so then you can go to Guy Lipman’s tariff compare tool, put in any tariff you like, and it will give you what the bill would have been for any time period where your smart meter consumption is available.

Makes it very easy then to see what your bill would have been on any tariff you like.
That would be really useful! It seems to only go up to 04/2020 though, and I've only had the smart meter since halfway through this year. Might be something I'm going though, so I'll have another play when I've got some more time. Thanks for the pointer!
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Well, I can't decide whether or not its worth switching to Octopus Go, because of their gas prices.

My current supplier (Outfox the Market) only does dual-fuel, so I *have* to switch the gas if I switch electricity. My current tariff is variable rate and seems to have been more or less tracking the price cap for the last year, so my guess is that it will jump up to the new cap in April. Octopus have quoted me gas prices of 8.94p/KWh and a standing charge of 26.1p/day, so as far as I can see the unit price for gas is about 20% higher than the new price cap. I'm not sure whether the cheap night time electricity will be enough to offset the higher gas and daytime electricity charges...
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Your old supplies will default your gas to the cap when your old deal ends?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

MotMot wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:34 pm Your old supplies will default your gas to the cap when your old deal ends?
My old supplier isn't on a fixed term contract, so it won't end. But as I said, its been tracking the cap for the past year anyway so I imagine it will keep doing that in April.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

SteveH wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:27 pm Well, I can't decide whether or not its worth switching to Octopus Go, because of their gas prices.

My current supplier (Outfox the Market) only does dual-fuel, so I *have* to switch the gas if I switch electricity. My current tariff is variable rate and seems to have been more or less tracking the price cap for the last year, so my guess is that it will jump up to the new cap in April. Octopus have quoted me gas prices of 8.94p/KWh and a standing charge of 26.1p/day, so as far as I can see the unit price for gas is about 20% higher than the new price cap. I'm not sure whether the cheap night time electricity will be enough to offset the higher gas and daytime electricity charges...

I am guessing you've spoken to a drone rather than looking at the tariffs directly ? Ask them for a quote on "Flexible Octopus October 2021 v2", which is a current tariff. This is the tariff for our home postcode:

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 00.28.31.png

That's a variable rate, OFGEM capped, available tariff. Then, once switched to Octopus on that tariff (and good luck, Outfox have an evil and in my experience well-deserved reputation for poor customer service) simply immediately switch your electricity to Go if it makes sense to do so financially for you - your gas will remain on the Flexible tariff. It's doubtless more expensive than Outfox though, whatever you do.

There's a pretty good overview on Octopus's website at https://octopus.energy/blog/energy-pric ... uary-2022/ about the upcoming April price cap changes, and even that says you shouldn't pay more than 7p/unit for gas.

PS : if you were wondering why I'm on Go here without an EV, it's because I can timeshift my electric storage heaters to 0030-0430 each night, saving me a small fortune even before the EV arrives
Tesla Model Y Long Range

tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I switched to OctopusEnergy Go last year after placing my order. Still don’t have my car but the tariff suits my needs for the overnight dishwasher and washing machine. OctopusEnergy are also arranging my home charger shortly and credited me with the equivalent of 8,000 miles worth of charging due to a promotion with VW. I obviously quite like octopus and have my gas with them too. Great company to deal with-they even arranged a soft toy Octopus for my granddaughter.
Mike W666

Post by Mike W666 »

I’ve just gone on to octopus go after 5 months of meter problems
16-74p /kWh in day 5p off peak from 6Jan for 12 months
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Mike W666 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:11 am I’ve just gone on to octopus go after 5 months of meter problems
16-74p /kWh in day 5p off peak from 6Jan for 12 months
That’s quite a result in the current times Mike, well done!
ItshardtobuyId3

Utumno wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:41 am
SteveH wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:27 pm Well, I can't decide whether or not its worth switching to Octopus Go, because of their gas prices.

I am guessing you've spoken to a drone rather than looking at the tariffs directly ? Ask them for a quote on "Flexible Octopus October 2021 v2", which is a current tariff. This is the tariff for our home postcode:

That's a variable rate, OFGEM capped, available tariff. Then, once switched to Octopus on that tariff (and good luck, Outfox have an evil and in my experience well-deserved reputation for poor customer service) simply immediately switch your electricity to Go if it makes sense to do so financially for you - your gas will remain on the Flexible tariff. It's doubtless more expensive than Outfox though, whatever you do.

There's a pretty good overview on Octopus's website at https://octopus.energy/blog/energy-pric ... uary-2022/ about the upcoming April price cap changes, and even that says you shouldn't pay more than 7p/unit for gas.

PS : if you were wondering why I'm on Go here without an EV, it's because I can timeshift my electric storage heaters to 0030-0430 each night, saving me a small fortune even before the EV arrives
Can you see on the website or Octopus app how much you have used at each rate or does it only show on your bill?

I’ve switched over but the website is stuck saying it’s setting everything up for me and I can only see my overall use for each day.

My meter is an upgraded SMETS1 so I’m lucky I can get GO on it but the display unit in the house can’t cope with duel rates so only shows everything at the horrible 30.77p rate.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:27 am My meter is an upgraded SMETS1 so I’m lucky I can get GO on it but the display unit in the house can’t cope with duel rates so only shows everything at the horrible 30.77p rate.
A bit off topic but did you have any problems with your display unit when switching to Octupus? Ours was provided by British Gas when they installed our (SMETS2) meter, it worked fine with Avro, but ever since we switched to Octupus it no longer seems to get updates from the meter, except if I reboot it (at which point it does an instantaneous electric update, but not gas.) I know the meter is successfully sending data to Octupus but you can't view it live via the website. I was wondering if you'd had a similar problem or any sort of fix...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:27 am
Utumno wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:41 am

Can you see on the website or Octopus app how much you have used at each rate or does it only show on your bill?

I’ve switched over but the website is stuck saying it’s setting everything up for me and I can only see my overall use for each day.

My meter is an upgraded SMETS1 so I’m lucky I can get GO on it but the display unit in the house can’t cope with duel rates so only shows everything at the horrible 30.77p rate.
In my octopus account I can see a half hourly readout of my electricity and hourly for gas but its 24 hours behind i think
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
ItshardtobuyId3

sidehaas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:04 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:27 am My meter is an upgraded SMETS1 so I’m lucky I can get GO on it but the display unit in the house can’t cope with duel rates so only shows everything at the horrible 30.77p rate.
A bit off topic but did you have any problems with your display unit when switching to Octupus? Ours was provided by British Gas when they installed our (SMETS2) meter, it worked fine with Avro, but ever since we switched to Octupus it no longer seems to get updates from the meter, except if I reboot it (at which point it does an instantaneous electric update, but not gas.) I know the meter is successfully sending data to Octupus but you can't view it live via the website. I was wondering if you'd had a similar problem or any sort of fix...
My display unit never worked with my gas meter (long story but short version is it got the. Wrong serial number and is now completely broken).

It works ok with the electricity but I do have to reboot it if I get a new tariff.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]