Octopus Go New Tariffs

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

phixion wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:57 pm What are the gas tariffs like with Octopus, competitive? I cannot see them on the website as it tells me it's probably cheaper to stay with my current provider.

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Don’t press “Get a Quote” but instead put your postcode in to see tariffs for your region.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'm on Go and also have my gas with Octopus. Like anyone else you just need to get on their price-capped flexible tariff for gas, which I think is now round about 7.5p/kwh. Their cheapest fix is over 12p/kWh. I'm not aware of any fixed gas tariffs at the moment that are anywhere near competitive, even allowing for another likely cap rise in October. Would love to find one...
Last edited by sidehaas on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

phixion wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:57 pm What are the gas tariffs like with Octopus, competitive? I cannot see them on the website as it tells me it's probably cheaper to stay with my current provider.
The gas tariffs will be horrific. The energy cap is the best you can get. Do not switch your gas to anyone else no matter who you are currently with. Switching your electricity if you have an EV and a smart meter is a different matter.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
owlservice

Post by owlservice »

Been reading the comments.

I'm currently with British Gas, with no EV tariff available, currently.

I am debating whether to switch over to Octopus. My tariff ends at the end of April, then I move over to a flexible tariff.

I can't work out if those 4 hours of 7.5p kw EV tariff on Octopus, make up for the 35p kw for the remainder of the day. Or do I stick with BG, whose flexible is 28p kw?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

owlservice wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:15 am Been reading the comments.

I am debating whether to switch over to Octopus. My tariff ends at the end of April, then I move over to a flexible tariff.

I can't work out if those 4 hours of 7.5p kw EV tariff on Octopus, make up for the 35p kw for the remainder of the day. Or do I stick with BG, whose flexible is 28p kw?
Depends on your current usage for the house - if its sensible, and you do over 8k miles per year, you'll see your car usage in kWh as high as running the house. We use about 3500kWh per year for the house and about 4500kWh per year putting 12k miles on 2 x ID3s.

8000kWh @28p per kWh = £2240
3500kWh @35p per kWh + 4500kWh @7.5p per kWh = £1562

All that excludes daily charge, but Octopus is generally pretty cheap on that score. It all depends on how many miles you do a year and what your house usage is to see whether Octopus Go or BG at a flat rate works for you. If you use a hell of a lot of electricity in the house and do a tiny mileage, Octopus Go might not be for you.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Griff

Post by Griff »

I am with SSE and have similar rates. For me, currently (no pun intended) switching would not be cheaper. It depends on the balance between your domestic use and mileage.

SSE have an Economy 7 tariff but state that 42% of usage needs to be nightime in order for it to be cheaper. I have seen that number quoted elsewhere too. I haven't worked out what the magic number is for Octopus Go.....
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
QPRfan

Post by QPRfan »

Hi Owlservice

I have sent you a DM with some data on my GO useage over the past year which might help you when calculating your financials and wether its worthwhile switching

Hope its arrived safely
Life Pro Performance - Moonstone.
On order January 2022 via Nationwide Vehicle Contracts
As at 25/2/22 unconfirmed build date week 40 ( 02/10/22 )
ORDER Cancelled March 18th and replaced by an 'in stock' Kona 64 Premium arriving late April
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:46 am

I am with SSE and have similar rates. For me, currently (no pun intended) switching would not be cheaper. It depends on the balance between your domestic use and mileage.

SSE have an Economy 7 tariff but state that 42% of usage needs to be nightime in order for it to be cheaper. I have seen that number quoted elsewhere too. I haven't worked out what the magic number is for Octopus Go.....
There is no specific "magic number", it's totally dependent on your domestic/EV mix. Is that "42% night time usage" tailored to you or the average user? What's the economy 7 and normal rates? These will also influence that magic number for you.

I'll end up going to 30p/7.5p per kWh from 15p/5p per kWh at the back end of next month. I'm guessing that at 7.5p per kWh at the new overnight rates, that's a lot cheaper than a lot of Economy 7 rates.

For anyone waiting for their ID3, tot up your mileage, and based on a conservative 3 miles per kWh average for the year (less than that in the Winter, more in the Summer), work out your anticipated car kWh usage, then work out your total bill for domestic and car use, and see if there's anythnig to be saved with Octopus Go or another provider that has cheaper overnight pricing vs a flat rate that might be a little cheaper than the Octopus (or other) day rate. Daily standing charge can be significant - I pay about 23p a day with Octopus, some suppliers are charging as much as 45p a day, so there's an £80 per annum consideration, regardless of your use.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Owlservice - What's your anticipated annual mileage and current annual electricity usage in kWh?

ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I see they have sneaked the day rate up from 30p to 35p. I’m glad I switched a month earlier now. Couldn’t see them keeping at at 30p when the new cap kicked in, it would have been been a bargain (if you can call 30p that) even without an EV.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Griff

Post by Griff »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:07 am

There is no specific "magic number", it's totally dependent on your domestic/EV mix. Is that "42% night time usage" tailored to you or the average user? What's the economy 7 and normal rates? These will also influence that magic number for you.

Ok, agreed, to clarify, it is based on comparison of specific tariffs. In SSE's case they were comparing between their own flexible and eco-7 tariffs. i.e it would be worthwhile for me to switch between those two if 42% of my consumption was "nightime".

Using the BG/OG numbers ..... my maths shows that only 25% of usage need be nightime in order for it to be viable. (assuming standing charges are comparable)
January 2022.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:22 am

Ok, agreed, to clarify, it is based on comparison of specific tariffs. In SSE's case they were comparing between their own flexible and eco-7 tariffs. i.e it would be worthwhile for me to switch between those two if 42% of my consumption was "nightime".

Using the BG/OG numbers ..... my maths shows that only 25% of usage need be nightime in order for it to be viable. (assuming standing charges are comparable)
Sounds like a switch would be good for you, subject to checking out the standing charges (Octopus are among the cheapest) - do you have a SMETS2 smart meter for eectricity? I would suggest you leave gas variable with Octopus, there's no cheap fixes for gas right now, best just to skirt under the price cap.

Griff

Post by Griff »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:46 am

Sounds like a switch would be good for you, subject to checking out the standing charges (Octopus are among the cheapest) - do you have a SMETS2 smart meter for eectricity? I would suggest you leave gas variable with Octopus, there's no cheap fixes for gas right now, best just to skirt under the price cap.
yes, I do have a SMETS2 and spoke to Octopus earlier this week. I am marginal as to whether it is beneficial. My domestic usage is 4500kWh....but I suspect it is high due to lockdown and having five adults around the house working/studying/drinking coffee, hopefully will be lower in future.
And Mrs Griff seems strangely reluctant to do the washing / ironing at 2am.........

But, yes, I need to take another look.
January 2022.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:08 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:46 am

yes, I do have a SMETS2 and spoke to Octopus earlier this week. I am marginal as to whether it is beneficial. My domestic usage is 4500kWh....but I suspect it is high due to lockdown and having five adults around the house working/studying/drinking coffee, hopefully will be lower in future.
And Mrs Griff seems strangely reluctant to do the washing / ironing at 2am.........

But, yes, I need to take another look.
We just got a heat pump tumble dryer to replace a 12 year old condenser tumble dryer, and the new one has a timer delay, so trying to encourage us putting the washer on late on an evening and go in the tumbler with a delayed start within the cheap window. I'm hoping it will make a small but noticeable difference to the bill in that it'll be more efficient, and I can use it when electricity is cheap.

I'm working from home 9 days out of 10 and always have the news on the telly in the background. I've accepted a new job this week that will see me at work 4 days out of 5, so hopefully i'll see a drop in electricity and gas (heating) usage. 3 months notice period to work through until I can start though!

:cry:

Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Not sure if I've set this up right, but a la Utumno, this spreadsheet might help people work out if Go is worth it.

Fill in boxes with black border (car mileage, average miles/Kwh and house electric usage) and it'll tell you what the price difference is with Go.

NB:
I've used price cap average because I could find that online, but had to use South East Go rates because that's what my postcode gives me.
You could change those to you own value for a better comparison.
You could also run dishwasher/washing machine/etc on the night rate to save more.
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:43 am

Depends on your current usage for the house - if its sensible, and you do over 8k miles per year, you'll see your car usage in kWh as high as running the house. We use about 3500kWh per year for the house and about 4500kWh per year putting 12k miles on 2 x ID3s.

8000kWh @28p per kWh = £2240
3500kWh @35p per kWh + 4500kWh @7.5p per kWh = £1562

All that excludes daily charge, but Octopus is generally pretty cheap on that score. It all depends on how many miles you do a year and what your house usage is to see whether Octopus Go or BG at a flat rate works for you. If you use a hell of a lot of electricity in the house and do a tiny mileage, Octopus Go might not be for you.
Looks handy! Is the Octopus standing charge in your area really 43.12p per day where you are? Mine is 23p a day (North Tyneside area), that's a hel of a difference.

Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

It went up recently.

go.png

Zappi 7kW Black tethered

QPRfan

Post by QPRfan »

My Go doesnt renew until September

But looking at the prices for my region (South West) I am shocked.

Not necessarily by the increase in the until rates, that was expected - 5p up to 7.5p and 15p up to 36p . But also the increase in the standing charge from 25p per day to 51p per day.

Yikes
Life Pro Performance - Moonstone.
On order January 2022 via Nationwide Vehicle Contracts
As at 25/2/22 unconfirmed build date week 40 ( 02/10/22 )
ORDER Cancelled March 18th and replaced by an 'in stock' Kona 64 Premium arriving late April
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Oof that’s unpleasant. Our Go is renewing on 13 April 2022 and our standing charge is actually dropping from 25p/day to 24.11p/day. The per kWh rates are of course rising (to 30.61p/kWh peak and 7.5p/kWh during the Go window) but honestly under the current energy pricing crisis I didn’t think that was too bad … plus I’m insulated against the expected price rises in October as well as Go is a 12 month fix.

But this in South East (Oxfordshire) rather than South West.

EDIT : just looked at the currently available tariffs for us, and Go (March 2022) has now changed again to 34.86p/kWh peak and 43.12p/kWh !!

Am feeling pretty fortunate that we’re moving to Go (December 2021) instead of Go (March 2022) even though we’re not moving until April 13th!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Utumno wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:37 pm Oof that’s unpleasant. Our Go is renewing on 13 April 2022 and our standing charge is actually dropping from 25p/day to 24.11p/day. The per kWh rates are of course rising (to 30.61p/kWh peak and 7.5p/kWh during the Go window) but honestly under the current energy pricing crisis I didn’t think that was too bad … plus I’m insulated against the expected price rises in October as well as Go is a 12 month fix.

But this in South East (Oxfordshire) rather than South West.

EDIT : just looked at the currently available tariffs for us, and Go (March 2022) has now changed again to 34.86p/kWh peak and 43.12p/kWh !!

Am feeling pretty fortunate that we’re moving to Go (December 2021) instead of Go (March 2022) even though we’re not moving until April 13th!
I applied for Go before the price increase, but didn't confirm, and now can't see if the rate is preserved or not... But my electric is fixed until end of May and my car isn't really due this year, so I guess I'll just wait to switch anyway.

Zappi 7kW Black tethered