Selling ID.3 on day of delivery.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Have any people sought valuations of their ID.3 cars on the day of delivery to see what they can sell them for?
E.g. same supplying dealer, other dealers, Motorway.co.uk or privately etc.

I would be interested to see what offers were made.

Can VW finance be settled prior to collection?
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

No, because most people ordered an ID.3 (and are enduring ridiculous wait times) because they actually want the car, not so they can make a quick buck. Honestly, take this conversation elsewhere.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

andrewparker wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am No, because most people ordered an ID.3 (and are enduring ridiculous wait times) because they actually want the car, not so they can make a quick buck. Honestly, take this conversation elsewhere.
Asking to know what it can be sold for and selling it are two different things. Do you not understand this?
Knowledge is key.

New, better EV are coming on the market. People may consider they may want to sell and buy something else, given ID.3 seems to have so many faults and pathetic software compared to alternatives. Dealers even keep cars for months and cannot resolve issues.

If you do not like the thread, why do you respond? Take your comments elsewhere. You clearly do not like debate and want to be in your little bubble. Better still mark me as a "foe" so you do not see my comments and threads. "Honestly". :D
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 am Knowledge is key.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

“In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception”
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:38 am
Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 am Knowledge is key.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

“In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception”
Are you saying Andrew Parker is a troll, making unwarranted comments to take a simple thread elsewhere as he did not like it? I would agree,
given, many people have posted they sold their car or had it valued for more than they paid. I am unsure whether anyone valued on the day of collection.
I see nothing wrong with asking the question. It does not insult anyone.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think you may be in a minority Cherry.
Your order suggests you have a cancellaton car as mine was ordered the same time as yours and estimated delivery June 22. If you pocket a profit and reorder you will have a very long wait.
All new cars are on similar lead times for the moment.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:45 am I think you may be in a minority Cherry.
Your order suggests you have a cancellaton car as mine was ordered the same time as yours and estimated delivery June 22. If you pocket a profit and reorder you will have a very long wait.
All new cars are on similar lead times for the moment.
My wife will keep hers when it arrives (unless she gets annoyed with all the errors if she has a dud and cannot cope).

Actually, I ordered a second car before the budget hoping the EV grant would be scrapped so the car would be worth more. I intend to sell it. My price -v- RRP is now over £7k difference. I may consider a BMW i4 instead with a long lead time as well.

The second car is delayed as I realised the dealer ordered Life instead of Family some 6 weeks after the order when he sent a screen print. The dealer then "found" another car and amended it and assigned it to me. I suspect the dealer orders cars for stock and assigns them to a customer and on assignment join the queue.

I could sell the second immediately or use it for 6-12 months or my wife could take it and I sell hers if she has Y22 instead of Y22.5.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion: Agreed. If Cherry goes down this route, they've got to ask themselves what's the replacement going to cost? Access to grant is gone for new orders, deposit contribution is gone, the only discount left us what is coming out of tge dealer's own margin. In a current situation of high demand and low supply, that margin discount is dwindling too as they don't need to give it to get a sale.

As for Cherry's ridiculous question about finance, your finance doesn't start until you pick up the car - you can't settle a debt which you have not yet acquired. Been told that multiple times when they've previously asked.

Even then, when I settled my finance the day after I got one of the ID3s, it took 3 weeks for VWFS to send mea letter saying they had no further interest in the car, so that car is going to be flagged as having finance for afew weeks after paying it off.

I'd be waiting a month after collection before selling it to assure it's clean on a finance check.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

The replacement I choose would never get the grant pre-budget anyway and now will not either. All I am doing is using the profit on the ID.3 to effectively lower the price of the next EV. It is a good profit on return. £500 deposit so far and may be £5k profit (Okay <£28k to fund when it arrives - still a good return).
There are no discounts on BMW i4. I can sell the second ID.3 and wait. I am in no rush given I am now down to < 2k miles a year.
An EV will never save me money, so it is to enjoy!

I guess the easiest way is to sell back to the same dealer or a dealer with proof of paying the finance off or agree to receive the final payment when they are happy the finance is paid off. I can trust a dealer to pay!

As for finance, the question was effectively when is a sale final? When it arrives at the dealer can I say, I accept the sale and will pay now and will pick it up later. Finance starts and I can pay off and not collect. Yes, a ridiculous question to you, not to me. I have always paid "cash" in the past.

May be I should ask a buyer, "Do you want to wait 6-8 months for a new car or do you want this pre-registered car with delivery mileage today, if so what are you willing to pay. DTD will charge £33k for a new car with a 6 month wait, your local dealer may charge more?"

There are people buying cars at full RRP for immediate possession and prestige cars above RRP.
For those people who believe an EV saves them money, this is 6 months fuel saving!
I think some people will pay £33k for a pre-reg with immediate delivery. They will not know this is over £5k profit.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I think this is an entirely valid thread, the questions are genuine, and there are some people out there who will pay a premium to get a car ASAP.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:38 am I think this is an entirely valid thread, the questions are genuine, and there are some people out there who will pay a premium to get a car ASAP.
I am glad you agree!

I surprised people do not seek a valuation on day of delivery for curiosity. Depreciation or appreciation. People are paying a fair bit for a car, don't they want to know how much they have lost (or gained)?

I imported 2 new cars from Europe in 2001 from main dealers as they were cheaper than a 1 year old car in the UK. They arrived by transporter with 2 miles on the clock. Full UK spec and warranty. They made me wait 3 months for the cars (a long wait in those days).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:18 am The replacement I choose would never get the grant pre-budget anyway and now will not either. All I am doing is using the profit on the ID.3 to effectively lower the price of the next EV. It is a good profit on return. £500 deposit so far and may be £5k profit (Okay <£28k to fund when it arrives - still a good return).
There are no discounts on BMW i4. I can sell the second ID.3 and wait. I am in no rush given I am now down to < 2k miles a year.
An EV will never save me money, so it is to enjoy!

I guess the easiest way is to sell back to the same dealer or a dealer with proof of paying the finance off or agree to receive the final payment when they are happy the finance is paid off. I can trust a dealer to pay!

As for finance, the question was effectively when is a sale final? When it arrives at the dealer can I say, I accept the sale and will pay now and will pick it up later. Finance starts and I can pay off and not collect. Yes, a ridiculous question to you, not to me. I have always paid "cash" in the past.

May be I should ask a buyer, "Do you want to wait 6-8 months for a new car or do you want this pre-registered car with delivery mileage today, if so what are you willing to pay. DTD will charge £33k for a new car with a 6 month wait, your local dealer may charge more?"

There are people buying cars at full RRP for immediate possession and prestige cars above RRP.
For those people who believe an EV saves them money, this is 6 months fuel saving!
I think some people will pay £33k for a pre-reg with immediate delivery. They will not know this is over £5k profit.
I've already told you, finance doesn't kick in until the moment that car is picked up by you. There's no way around this. I doubt very much that the dealer would aid you in grabbing that deposit contribution from VWFS if you'd arrange to sell it back to them without the car ever leaving the dealership premises.

I don't know what the current RRPs are at the moment, but if you think the dealer is going to buy the car back from you for significantly more than you paid for it, I think you're living in cloud-cuckoo land.

The dealer wants a healthy margin on every car they sell or resell, more so for the used car side of things than the new side of things (as they are not subsidised by volume sales target bonuses as the new sales side are). That car will be registered in your name. At that point it is effectively a used car. If it's worth full RRP of e.g. £36k because of the current shortage, how much do you think the dealer is going to pay you for it to then sell it at £36k? £30k tops. You might get marginally more from Motorway.co.uk, but any car dealer that buys that car will only pay you as much as they want to sell it for, minus their margin.

Either way you'll have trouble valuing it on Motorway.co.uk on day 1 of ownership, they'll be struggling to find the reg number for about a week after collection, the DVLA aren't super quick to process everything - my insurance company took about a week to confirm my car spec through the DVLA database.

You might sell it privately for a little more than motorway via autotrader, but I doubt it - most buyers will be wanting the reassurance of buying from a dealership for such an expensive purchase and most of them will want access to easy finance (VWFS have much lower lending criteria than an unsecured loan as they own the car until its fully paid for - it is a secured loan).
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:50 am
scott28tt wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:38 am I think this is an entirely valid thread, the questions are genuine, and there are some people out there who will pay a premium to get a car ASAP.
I am glad you agree!

I surprised people do not seek a valuation on day of delivery for curiosity. Depreciation or appreciation. People are paying a fair bit for a car, don't they want to know how much they have lost (or gained)?

I imported 2 new cars from Europe in 2001 from main dealers as they were cheaper than a 1 year old car in the UK. They arrived by transporter with 2 miles on the clock. Full UK spec and warranty. They made me wait 3 months for the cars (a long wait in those days).
This is a unique situation we are in right now due to lack of supply, people wouldn't routinely expect to see a profit on a car they just got, this is a blip, and for most people, after waiting a while for their new car, selling it or seeing what its worth doesn't cross their mind so early into ownership.

Car import savings in the early 90s was a bit of a false economy if you weren't keepiing the car a hell of a long time too. A 2 year old imported car was almost always worth less than a 2 year old car meant for the UK market, because it wasn't UK spec, even if it was RHD as a grey import from Ireland, Malta or Cyprus. My Dad got himself a new 130TDI GT Golf MK4 back in 1998 via grey import, it was a Maltese market car so missed a few minor things like Xenons and fog lights. He bought it because the 130TDI engine was only available on the Golf estate in the UK and he wanted a hatch back (which his car was). As an import it was a PITA to insure. Those days are long gone with the exchange rate the way it is.

His only came with 2 years warranty too, as the 3rd year on VW's warranty is dealership based rather than manufacturer based - he's have had to take it back to Malta for 3rd year warranty work - another down side of imports,

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:09 pm
Car import savings in the early 90s was a bit of a false economy if you weren't keepiing the car a hell of a long time too. A 2 year old imported car was almost always worth less than a 2 year old car meant for the UK market, because it wasn't UK spec, even if it was RHD as a grey import from Ireland, Malta or Cyprus. My Dad got himself a new 130TDI GT Golf MK4 back in 1998 via grey import, it was a Maltese market car so missed a few minor things like Xenons and fog lights. He bought it because the 130TDI engine was only available on the Golf estate in the UK and he wanted a hatch back (which his car was). As an import it was a PITA to insure. Those days are long gone with the exchange rate the way it is.

His only came with 2 years warranty too, as the 3rd year on VW's warranty is dealership based rather than manufacturer based - he's have had to take it back to Malta for 3rd year warranty work - another down side of imports,
1990s was not 2000s.

Mine came as full UK spec and identical warranty. This was specified on order forms. They were not classed as grey imports. They were the same cars supplied to UK from the same factories. But this was the 2000s, when EU law forced mainland Europe to supply UK spec for the UK and allowed UK citizens to order from them. UK dealers did all the warranty repairs and there was no difference. The only downside was a 3-4 month wait for delivery as opposed to less than 4 weeks from a UK dealer and we had to pay VAT when they arrived. Savings were c30% of UK RRP after VAT and delivery. So, easily 20% real saving for full UK spec. The dealers in Belgium and Holland arranged transporters. We just hoped the ferry did not sink!

It was not all exchange rate, but rip-off Britain. Treasure Island. Fleece the Brits.
mish

Post by mish »

I would have lost a lot of time worrying and checking by treating my car like a trading commodity. I can think of more fun things to do. Like actually driving the damn thing.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

mish wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:09 pm
I would have lost a lot of time worrying and checking by treating my car like a trading commodity. I can think of more fun things to do. Like actually driving the damn thing.
Can I assume then you did not bother to get a discount on your car and paid RRP?
Cars are commodity products in my view!
mish

Post by mish »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:11 pm
mish wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:09 pm
Can I assume then you did not bother to get a discount on your car and paid RRP?
Cars are commodity products in my view!
Yes, I tried to get the best deal to become the owner of a thing that transports me from A to B. From then on I use the thing and don't worry anymore until I am forced to sell again. Otherwise I would work as a car dealer which I am honestly not very keen on :lol:
IDontknow

Post by IDontknow »

We've been really looking forward to getting our hands on our ID3. Even so, I confess that before picking it up last week, I had a fleeting wondering about what it is worth now, given the unique situation with used cars. We paid around £23k for our ID3 (on VW finance) and I'm sure it is worth a fair bit more now given the significant increase in RRP and the lack of grant. But after about 20 seconds I started to think about what the point would be of trying to make a quick buck on it and the (personal) ethical questions around doing that. For us, aside from being uncomfortable with making a quick profit this way - no judgement on people who are ok with it , it's just not for us - we would be left without a car for ages, and likely wouldn't get an equivalent spec EV for the kind of money we would get for the ID3, unless we queued up for an ID3 again which woudl be utterly pointless.

The thought went no further.

I do think that the points raised about other problems with trying to sell straight away are valid too. I got the V5 through today, but our insurance and breakdown companies still can't find the Reg on the database yet. I am certain that our dealer would have told us to do one if we let on that we were planning to sell it immediately too.

Besides, now we have our new car, we love it. It feels *far* more premium on the inside than I remember (I remember it having lots of crappy quality plastic on the doors / lower dash, but that's not what we've got) and is a great to drive.

Fingers crossed for no software issues etc.

Good luck to you if you choose to try and make a profit, but it's not for us and I suspect it won't be as easy as it seems.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

IDontknow wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 pm Besides, now we have our new car, we love it. It feels *far* more premium on the inside than I remember (I remember it having lots of crappy quality plastic on the doors / lower dash, but that's not what we've got) and is a great to drive.
I wonder whether you’ve managed to snag a 22.5, given your plastic quality recollection?

The new “premium” dash and doors was definitely something all models would benefit from according to that picture from Facebook doing the rounds.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
IDontknow

Post by IDontknow »

Utumno wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:43 pm
IDontknow wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 pm Besides, now we have our new car, we love it. It feels *far* more premium on the inside than I remember (I remember it having lots of crappy quality plastic on the doors / lower dash, but that's not what we've got) and is a great to drive.
I wonder whether you’ve managed to snag a 22.5, given your plastic quality recollection?

The new “premium” dash and doors was definitely something all models would benefit from according to that picture from Facebook doing the rounds.
I have been wondering that... I think the dash and door cards were the only differences on the MY22.5 Life Pro weren't they?
It doesn't look quite as premium as the Golf Mk7 we had before, but def better than my memory of it. I remember coming away from the test drive thinking, "nice drive, bit crap quality interior" - and being very pleasantly surprised when I picked up the ID3.

Having said that, my memory isn't what it used to be and I'm not the most observant!